DII-A Basketball (Keep it Clean Version)

dgeeman

Knox Webb wins at Lausanne, USN wins at St. George, DCA barely beats Envamgelical, and the big shocker FRA goes down against Harding.

WOW what a game (DCA vs ECS). DCA led most of the first half and ECS led most of the second, but it was very close the whole way. ECS's size was amazing! THeir biggest three are 6'9", 6'7", and 6'5" with a couple of other guys over 6'. It was a tough night on the board for DCA to say the least.

ECS had the ball late with the game tied at 36. ECS missed a shot with about 6 seconds to go. DCA got the rebound with 3.1 seconds to play and called timeout. DCA was actually able to get a pretty good shot off, but it didn't fall.

ECS got the tip in the first OT and held it the whole way. THey missed a last second shot. Still tied at 36 after the first OT.

DCA got the tip starting the second OT hit a three and never looked back, running the lead out by as much as 8. THe final was DCA 44 ECS 39 in double OT.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 1OT 2OT

DCA 13 23 25 36 36 44

ECS 8 20 28 36 36 39

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW what a game (DCA vs ECS). DCA led most of the first half and ECS led most of the second, but it was very close the whole way. ECS's size was amazing! THeir biggest three are 6'9", 6'7", and 6'5" with a couple of other guys over 6'. It was a tough night on the board for DCA to say the least.

ECS had the ball late with the game tied at 36. ECS missed a shot with about 6 seconds to go. DCA got the rebound with 3.1 seconds to play and called timeout. DCA was actually able to get a pretty good shot off, but it didn't fall.

ECS got the tip in the first OT and held it the whole way. THey missed a last second shot. Still tied at 36 after the first OT.

DCA got the tip starting the second OT hit a three and never looked back, running the lead out by as much as 8. THe final was DCA 44 ECS 39 in double OT.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 1OT 2OT

DCA 13 23 25 36 36 44

ECS 8 20 28 36 36 39

Wow! Well it was almost near dominance of the Mid/East and I did not see this coming at all. I would not have thought FRA the runner-ups from last years title game would be missing. While I would have loved to see our Eagles there, I believe the DCA Wildcats might be a team of destiny, with more lives than the common alley cat. USN and Knox Webb advancing against what I thought would have been a powerful 1-2 out west...not sure if anyone saw this coming.

Asitis...it's a shame that we are now only commentators or maybe "common taters" anyone want to shine a light on what happened out west and it looks like Harding holds the hopes for respect for yall cross the Tennessee River. They knocked off who I thought was a favorite this season so don't take them lightly Mid/East guys!

Good luck to all! Hope to see ya at Lipscomb this weekend.

Gman

GMAN, What are Harding chances against USN and the rest of the EAST/MID?

I wish I had an answer for you on that one but I tell you one thing is for sure Harding's chances against USN are alot better than Ezell's and FRA's. Kidding aside, I never got a chance to see Harding play but they narrowly lost to FRA and then narrowly beat FRA so they must be pretty good...it looks like you have 4 teams trying for the title. You have the hottest team DCA who has won 5 straight post season victories they have to be the favorite. USN and Harding have 2 straight post season wins. And Knox Webb traveled west to knock off the #1 seed in the West. If all these teams aren't believing they can win it all...then they should be there.

Hopefully it will boil down to who is playing the best this weekend and not dependent on those guys in the stripes.

May the best team win!

gman

Asitis...it's a shame that we are now only commentators or maybe "common taters" anyone want to shine a light on what happened out west and it looks like Harding holds the hopes for respect for yall cross the Tennessee River. They knocked off who I thought was a favorite this season so don't take them lightly Mid/East guys!

Good luck to all! Hope to see ya at Lipscomb this weekend.

Gman

I couldn't agree with you more, Gman. It's a shame. Two heart breakers in 2 years for us but when it's all said and done, I wouldn't trade these last 2 years for anything. I've never been more proud of a bunch of kids in all my life and like I said last year, these Seniors will not know just how proud you make us Dad's until you have a kid of your own.

That being said, I will admit that after our loss, I didn't have the stomach to set foot in that gym so I did not see the Final games of the Region Tournament. As for our game versus Harding, it was a great match-up just like we had expected. I wish I could get on here and say the ref's blew it, but all in all, it's was pretty well officiated. A few traveling calls I didn't agree with but sometimes when it looks odd, that's the call you get whether it actually was or not. The Double Technical seemed unnecessary at the time yet in the end, both kids fouled out prior to the end of the game. Would like to have seen both of them get to finish but I'm not sure of what happened...looked like football rivals just talking to each other. All in all, they let the kids decide the game.

Still don't understand two opportunities to win the game in the last second and NEVER called a timeout to set up anything. That's a problem that will haunt me for a long time. After a big 5 second call at the end of regulation, 4 seconds left and nothing set up or anything? After the big 3 in OT, we had all the time in the world to call a TO and set something up...nothing. Guess we were saving them for next year : )

Harding is a good team with a will to win. I think they proved they were the hottest team going in yet a simple coin toss thru them our way and in hind site....I HATE coin tosses!

In the Semi-finals, I think Harding and Lausanne would split if they played 10 times in a row. Lausanne won this one and I was not surprised that guard heavy St. Georges beat ECS as I think they were weaker of the 3 from that side of the Region with basically no guard play and a couple of good but young bigs. The final swung on the hot shooting of the Payne kid and Lausanne took it all.

I think match-ups were the key in the sub-state. You could probably throw all of these teams in a hat and draw them out again and come up with different winners. I personally was not surprised by any of the outcomes. Harding was hot and had already proved they could play with FRA, St. Georges relies solely on their guard play and from hearing everyone talk, USN has a trio of good ones. The fact that ECS played and almost beat DCA leaves me a little puzzled...I did not expect them to be able to.

As for me, I gotta pull for Harding! Yet not for the reasons someone would expect me to or not. Not because they beat us, not because they are from the West but for this simple reason. I spoke to the kid after the game who came off the bench against us (Moorman, I think) and became and instant hero. Seemed like a good kid and was very respectful. So my reason is nothing more than that. I regularly try to catch kids on opposing teams and congratulate them if need be. So often you get the "Yea...Aight" response and human nature is to immediately become a "non-fan". I may be wrong, yet that pretty much the only reason I've got.

Good luck to all teams and once again to the 2012 USJ Bruins, thanks for a great year!!

I couldn't agree with you more, Gman. It's a shame. Two heart breakers in 2 years for us but when it's all said and done, I wouldn't trade these last 2 years for anything. I've never been more proud of a bunch of kids in all my life and like I said last year, these Seniors will not know just how proud you make us Dad's until you have a kid of your own.

That being said, I will admit that after our loss, I didn't have the stomach to set foot in that gym so I did not see the Final games of the Region Tournament. As for our game versus Harding, it was a great match-up just like we had expected. I wish I could get on here and say the ref's blew it, but all in all, it's was pretty well officiated. A few traveling calls I didn't agree with but sometimes when it looks odd, that's the call you get whether it actually was or not. The Double Technical seemed unnecessary at the time yet in the end, both kids fouled out prior to the end of the game. Would like to have seen both of them get to finish but I'm not sure of what happened...looked like football rivals just talking to each other. All in all, they let the kids decide the game.

Still don't understand two opportunities to win the game in the last second and NEVER called a timeout to set up anything. That's a problem that will haunt me for a long time. After a big 5 second call at the end of regulation, 4 seconds left and nothing set up or anything? After the big 3 in OT, we had all the time in the world to call a TO and set something up...nothing. Guess we were saving them for next year : )

Harding is a good team with a will to win. I think they proved they were the hottest team going in yet a simple coin toss thru them our way and in hind site....I HATE coin tosses!

In the Semi-finals, I think Harding and Lausanne would split if they played 10 times in a row. Lausanne won this one and I was not surprised that guard heavy St. Georges beat ECS as I think they were weaker of the 3 from that side of the Region with basically no guard play and a couple of good but young bigs. The final swung on the hot shooting of the Payne kid and Lausanne took it all.

I think match-ups were the key in the sub-state. You could probably throw all of these teams in a hat and draw them out again and come up with different winners. I personally was not surprised by any of the outcomes. Harding was hot and had already proved they could play with FRA, St. Georges relies solely on their guard play and from hearing everyone talk, USN has a trio of good ones. The fact that ECS played and almost beat DCA leaves me a little puzzled...I did not expect them to be able to.

As for me, I gotta pull for Harding! Yet not for the reasons someone would expect me to or not. Not because they beat us, not because they are from the West but for this simple reason. I spoke to the kid after the game who came off the bench against us (Moorman, I think) and became and instant hero. Seemed like a good kid and was very respectful. So my reason is nothing more than that. I regularly try to catch kids on opposing teams and congratulate them if need be. So often you get the "Yea...Aight" response and human nature is to immediately become a "non-fan". I may be wrong, yet that pretty much the only reason I've got.

Good luck to all teams and once again to the 2012 USJ Bruins, thanks for a great year!!

Asitis,

Always love your prospective of the game...you're a man after my own heart. Hey email me at dgeeman@juno.com and let me know who you are? Unless you would like to post it on the board. There are a lot of side stories to every game and team. USN has the emergence of the Nash kid, the return of Hodge, and the Former DCA standout Welch (player of the year) who sat out last year ... seems to have been worth it. While DCA counters with it's senior and the Outlaw boy who has virtually came from obscurity to lead the Wildcats. And Knox Webb who may be the unknown from East Tennessee led by Jr All Region player Burton Sampson.

Luckily for me I will be at the games first to video our Lady Eagles then maybe to take a few of the guys games in tomorrow.

Asitis, thanks for remaining positive throughout. All losses are tough! Luckily I have another year of basketball watching...

Keeping it clean,

Gman

Asitis,

Always love your prospective of the game...you're a man after my own heart. Hey email me at dgeeman@juno.com and let me know who you are? Unless you would like to post it on the board. There are a lot of side stories to every game and team. USN has the emergence of the Nash kid, the return of Hodge, and the Former DCA standout Welch (player of the year) who sat out last year ... seems to have been worth it. While DCA counters with it's senior and the Outlaw boy who has virtually came from obscurity to lead the Wildcats. And Knox Webb who may be the unknown from East Tennessee led by Jr All Region player Burton Sampson.

Luckily for me I will be at the games first to video our Lady Eagles then maybe to take a few of the guys games in tomorrow.

Asitis, thanks for remaining positive throughout. All losses are tough! Luckily I have another year of basketball watching...

Keeping it clean,

Gman

Well it looks like an all Mid/East finish in the Championship games at Lipscomb University on Saturday. A little bonus coverage on the Lady's side although this is a Boys post. The first game was pretty close in the Fayette vs FRA game until late. Derica Wyatt did her thing ... but so proud of Kennedi Bell (Kessler's sister) who scored 8 pts in the 4th quarter to help her team advance to the Championship. While on the subject of the ladies, Knox Webb took advantage of our poor shooting Lady Eagles to advance to the rematch of last years game and this year's Region Championship game. This one is gonna be a coin toss as both teams have flipped-flopped victories over the past year.

On the boys side...the two quickest teams advance to the Championship on Saturday. In the first game, USN used a strong performance by Ross Welch and a very aggressive full court press to vanish a 8 pt Harding lead at half time. This year's Region MVP used a variety of shots and drives to the basket to secure the victory. USN's post player Sheldon Freeman also had a superb game in the paint.

The night-cap again saw the Wildcats use another one of their nine lives to advance. The Wildcats had balanced scoring and with ball game tied late in the game the Wildcats used a missed free throw to win the game. Carson Outlaw goes to the line and misses the shot to the left side...not sure how he did this but as the ball comes off the rim...the Outlaw boy is there to put the ball into the goal and give the Wildcats a 2 pt lead. It comes down to the last 16 sec of the game with Knox Webb behind with the ball. There is a Sampson miss, a missed put back, and the next thing you know...DCA has made the finals...could they be the team of DESTINY?

The boys final should be a good one. USN won the first game during the regular season, DCA won the Region Tourney Game...this one is for "all the marbles"

Yall let me know if I left out any details...I know you will!

But keep it clean!

Gman