DII-A Basketball (Keep it Clean Version)

dgeeman

Wow. Parents at a "christian" school heckling 16-17 year old boys? Whatever happened to cheering for your team? I've seen it routinely from rural/county schools (mostly football). It's a sad thing to witness. Any chance they were yelling at the refs instead of the boys?

Well I would definitely be lying if I said the game on Monday did not hurt a little. Much was decided early in the game.

I love this picture...please take a look at it...it is a perfect example of "point of view" in life and believe it or not on a basketball court.

http://gs60.photobucket.com/groups/h33/A08W9ERXDG/?action=view&current=oldlady.jpg

From an Ezell perspective/dad's... a lot was taken away from the team when Austin was called for two fouls in the first 4 minutes...that was big! (my video taken doesn't reflect a foul either time. Colin Johnston as a result had a huge game I thought. Love that kid..but glad he is a senior. Even Austin's 3rd foul in the beginning of the 3rd quarter was questionable too! (got video to back that up) Please no pot shots! There's no sour grapes here! After the game I did tell congrats to Coach Ramsey, Josh E., and Colin J, all whom have my utmost respect.

Only the point that everyone has their own point of view on situations. To the DCA fan, they see the officials as making great calls, their kids quicker to the ball, playing physical basketball, and their coach a winner!

To the Ezell fan the refs were awful, (Oh and unfortunately I did yell and certainly directed at the refs) and not the DCA players) our players were getting hammered, and our players never had a chance, and our Coach never had a chance to coach on a level playing field.

So you have the Eagles point of view, the Wildcats point of view, and of course the officials point of view. Each probably has some of the best points of view at one time or another...but never the best perspective all the time. I would love to be at Webb this weekend watching my son play...there's no doubt about that. To all my friends with FRA, DCA, and USN the best of luck to you all. Yall carry the Flags for the East/Mid Region. To the guys out West yall continue to keep us in the know! Look forward to reading the posts coming out from the two Regions and look forward to seeing some games I guess at Lipscomb in a few weeks!

Oh by the way..gonna send a little love to my son Austin. Even though often hammered, slapped at, and elbowed...really proud that when whistled for especially non fouls that he has kept his cool and maintained a good perspective and attitude. Of course not always perfect he still remains my favorite player to watch. Got tickled when our announcer called him Austin "Jeremy Lin" Gee at the foul line. Glad we have another season. Keep it fun fellas! It's just basketball.

Keep it Clean!

The Gman

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I would definitely be lying if I said the game on Monday did not hurt a little. Much was decided early in the game.

I love this picture...please take a look at it...it is a perfect example of "point of view" in life and believe it or not on a basketball court.

http://gs60.photobucket.com/groups/h33/A08W9ERXDG/?action=view&current=oldlady.jpg

From an Ezell perspective/dad's... a lot was taken away from the team when Austin was called for two fouls in the first 4 minutes...that was big! (my video taken doesn't reflect a foul either time. Colin Johnston as a result had a huge game I thought. Love that kid..but glad he is a senior. Even Austin's 3rd foul in the beginning of the 3rd quarter was questionable too! (got video to back that up) Please no pot shots! There's no sour grapes here! After the game I did tell congrats to Coach Ramsey, Josh E., and Colin J, all whom have my utmost respect.

Only the point that everyone has their own point of view on situations. To the DCA fan, they see the officials as making great calls, their kids quicker to the ball, playing physical basketball, and their coach a winner!

To the Ezell fan the refs were awful, (Oh and unfortunately I did yell and certainly directed at the refs) and not the DCA players) our players were getting hammered, and our players never had a chance, and our Coach never had a chance to coach on a level playing field.

So you have the Eagles point of view, the Wildcats point of view, and of course the officials point of view. Each probably has some of the best points of view at one time or another...but never the best perspective all the time. I would love to be at Webb this weekend watching my son play...there's no doubt about that. To all my friends with FRA, DCA, and USN the best of luck to you all. Yall carry the Flags for the East/Mid Region. To the guys out West yall continue to keep us in the know! Look forward to reading the posts coming out from the two Regions and look forward to seeing some games I guess at Lipscomb in a few weeks!

Oh by the way..gonna send a little love to my son Austin. Even though often hammered, slapped at, and elbowed...really proud that when whistled for especially non fouls that he has kept his cool and maintained a good perspective and attitude. Of course not always perfect he still remains my favorite player to watch. Got tickled when our announcer called him Austin "Jeremy Lin" Gee at the foul line. Glad we have another season. Keep it fun fellas! It's just basketball.

Keep it Clean!

The Gman

Thank you Gman - you represent everything that is right about youth sports. Looking forward to one more year watching your boy!

Thank you Gman - you represent everything that is right about youth sports. Looking forward to one more year watching your boy!

Well thanks boogie and I try to be...however I have my times in the stands like many do. Just ask the folks around me during the games. Usually if real bad ... apologies follow. Christian Schools should represent themselves better I believe and though better than most public schools certainly most of the times not as good as we should be considering the reason our schools should exist...to Glorify God. Please Again No Pot Shots cause I know I need to work on many of my "being a better example"

I'm a work in process!

Gman

To the dgeeman; thank you for your view of the game, your were "point on" with the officiating crew and I have to say "your son deserves the respect as a player, leader, son, and someone to be proud of". It was my first Ezell game this year and I was impressed with your Team, Coaching Staff, and the way your fans handled themselves. "The yelling from the Ezell side was pointed towards the officiating crew - not the players, they were just looking for a fair game. It showed class on your part to congratulate the other players. I have to echo boogie123 "Thank you Gman - you represent everything that is right about youth sports". Maybe more parents should be proud of their children like you are, because it is - only a game.

BoDawgs, your right, it was my first posting (but I read this forum from time to time). Your view of the game was just that your view from a DCA parents or players prospective and you appear to be a little confused. I talked to the officiating crew following the game (we used to call together from time to time) and I voiced my disappointment in their efforts to let a game get out of control by not doing the job they were paid to do. I have seen DCA play several times as I posted, (I have a friend who's grandchild goes to that school). The Ezell Team was "Beat Down" for sure and once the Gee player was taken out because of several tick tack fouls and poor officiating the game was pretty much over. Thank you for your comments.

SmokeStack!, your comments - well just that, maybe you should lay off the smoke and learn the rules of basketball.....I haven't seen leadership at all on behalf of the DCA Team this year. In the games where the officials called a good game on both sides of the ball and the officiating crew didn't play a vital role in the outcome, they lost.... Mmmmmm , do you see a pattern SmokeStack! or are you still in the fog??????

VeerCoach, great comments - your right and I appreciate your comments as well. It's great to see some guys who do know the talent and respect that should be given to the players on the floor. They are the guys who work hard to be there and shouldn't have their efforts taken away by poor officiating.

I don't have a dog in this race with either Team and I don't agree with the officiating that I've seen this year. They need to go back to the old grading system for officials (then you get held accountable) and train these guys to steep up and do a good job (the money is not much, but you do it because you love the game). Hopefully the TSSAA will revamp the way they select the crews to call the games. A game is only as good as the teams playing, the officiating crews and the excitement of the crowd. Now thats Basketball. It's time for the TSSAA to step up.

Good luck to the Teams moving on.. It's tournament time!!!! I look forward to catching a few more games.

To the dgeeman; thank you for your view of the game, your were "point on" with the officiating crew and I have to say "your son deserves the respect as a player, leader, son, and someone to be proud of". It was my first Ezell game this year and I was impressed with your Team, Coaching Staff, and the way your fans handled themselves. "The yelling from the Ezell side was pointed towards the officiating crew - not the players, they were just looking for a fair game. It showed class on your part to congratulate the other players. I have to echo boogie123 "Thank you Gman - you represent everything that is right about youth sports". Maybe more parents should be proud of their children like you are, because it is - only a game.

BoDawgs, your right, it was my first posting (but I read this forum from time to time). Your view of the game was just that your view from a DCA parents or players prospective and you appear to be a little confused. I talked to the officiating crew following the game (we used to call together from time to time) and I voiced my disappointment in their efforts to let a game get out of control by not doing the job they were paid to do. I have seen DCA play several times as I posted, (I have a friend who's grandchild goes to that school). The Ezell Team was "Beat Down" for sure and once the Gee player was taken out because of several tick tack fouls and poor officiating the game was pretty much over. Thank you for your comments.

SmokeStack!, your comments - well just that, maybe you should lay off the smoke and learn the rules of basketball.....I haven't seen leadership at all on behalf of the DCA Team this year. In the games where the officials called a good game on both sides of the ball and the officiating crew didn't play a vital role in the outcome, they lost.... Mmmmmm , do you see a pattern SmokeStack! or are you still in the fog??????

VeerCoach, great comments - your right and I appreciate your comments as well. It's great to see some guys who do know the talent and respect that should be given to the players on the floor. They are the guys who work hard to be there and shouldn't have their efforts taken away by poor officiating.

I don't have a dog in this race with either Team and I don't agree with the officiating that I've seen this year. They need to go back to the old grading system for officials (then you get held accountable) and train these guys to steep up and do a good job (the money is not much, but you do it because you love the game). Hopefully the TSSAA will revamp the way they select the crews to call the games. A game is only as good as the teams playing, the officiating crews and the excitement of the crowd. Now thats Basketball. It's time for the TSSAA to step up.

Good luck to the Teams moving on.. It's tournament time!!!! I look forward to catching a few more games.

Any self-respecting official would never confront or comment on another officiating crews officiating of the game. And if this is true, you should be embarrassed of yourself, and no wonder you no longer officiate.

Again.......20 point victories have nothing to do with officiating.

Any self-respecting official would never confront or comment on another officiating crews officiating of the game. And if this is true, you should be embarrassed of yourself, and no wonder you no longer officiate.

Again.......20 point victories have nothing to do with officiating.

Thank you Smokestack!, officiating crews always critique each other following each and every game on how the game was called (whether good or bad). It's part of the process, that's how you get better. I officiated for over 20 years including on the college level for 10 years. If your a parent - Congratulations on the 20 point win, you have something to brag about over lunch. My suggestions is for you to join the ranks of the officiating crews and come on down out of the fog (SmokeStack!) and contribute to the excitement of the game. Give officiating a try, because you must have missed the game Monday night and only read about it in the box scores..... Apparently you don't know much about the game of basketball!!!

Good Luck :D

Thank you Smokestack!, officiating crews always critique each other following each and every game on how the game was called (whether good or bad). It's part of the process, that's how you get better. I officiated for over 20 years including on the college level for 10 years. If your a parent - Congratulations on the 20 point win, you have something to brag about over lunch. My suggestions is for you to join the ranks of the officiating crews and come on down out of the fog (SmokeStack!) and contribute to the excitement of the game. Give officiating a try, because you must have missed the game Monday night and only read about it in the box scores..... Apparently you don't know much about the game of basketball!!!

Good Luck :D

So basically, you waited and confronted the officials because "you called with them from time to time" with the "I officiated for 20 years attitude", then get on a message board and bash your fellow officials and how bad they were. I bet those guys really value your "expert" opinion, especially if they knew you were posting on a message board critiquing their every call. Sounded like a really constructive conversation.

Again, no self respecting official would brag about their officiating career on a message board. Ask Mr. Menees if he condones this activity, as I'm sure he would like to ask for your opinion.

So basically, you waited and confronted the officials because "you called with them from time to time" with the "I officiated for 20 years attitude", then get on a message board and bash your fellow officials and how bad they were. I bet those guys really value your "expert" opinion, especially if they knew you were posting on a message board critiquing their every call. Sounded like a really constructive conversation.

Again, no self respecting official would brag about their officiating career on a message board. Ask Mr. Menees if he condones this activity, as I'm sure he would like to ask for your opinion.

Allow me a word or two. First let me say the refs I know on a personal level are STAND UP gents and I trust them to call the game as they see it, fairly. Not perfect but fairly and as they see it. I don't always like the calls but for the most part they're better than I could do on any given night.

Now...Refs can absolutely effect the outcome of a game to the tune of 20 points. I've personally seen it. I've personally seen "adult vendettas" taken to the Bball court from a ref who has a business relationship with a parent. I've personally heard a ref tell a player he'll T him up before the game is over. I've personally seen a ref walk across the court, stop a game, confer with the other refs and overturn a call that ultimately swayed the game. I absolutely know for a FACT there are some refs that the other refs can't stand working with because they know the game will be full of "marginal"?? calls. Again, better than I could ever to hope to do, but I'm not a ref paid to be fair and unbiased.

I suppose it's like any line of work with respect to personalities, skill sets, tenure and ethics. You can seek out the best in people and still be let down from time to time.

BoyHowdy will remain an AC (anonymous coward). I feel the comfort and security of an anonymous post brings out an honesty not found within the confines of accountability and transparency.

To say or imply that ref's cannot sway a game 20 points is just plain false.

Allow me a word or two. First let me say the refs I know on a personal level are STAND UP gents and I trust them to call the game as they see it, fairly. Not perfect but fairly and as they see it. I don't always like the calls but for the most part they're better than I could do on any given night.

Now...Refs can absolutely effect the outcome of a game to the tune of 20 points. I've personally seen it. I've personally seen "adult vendettas" taken to the Bball court from a ref who has a business relationship with a parent. I've personally heard a ref tell a player he'll T him up before the game is over. I've personally seen a ref walk across the court, stop a game, confer with the other refs and overturn a call that ultimately swayed the game. I absolutely know for a FACT there are some refs that the other refs can't stand working with because they know the game will be full of "marginal"?? calls. Again, better than I could ever to hope to do, but I'm not a ref paid to be fair and unbiased.

I suppose it's like any line of work with respect to personalities, skill sets, tenure and ethics. You can seek out the best in people and still be let down from time to time.

BoyHowdy will remain an AC (anonymous coward). I feel the comfort and security of an anonymous post brings out an honesty not found within the confines of accountability and transparency.

To say or imply that ref's cannot sway a game 20 points is just plain false.

I was at the game as well & agree the officials were not that good. But, the previous posts do not say anything about the numerous walks Ezell committed & were not called (especially when the Ezell guy tripped on his own & then proceded to slide 4-5 feet on the floor WITH the ball & no walk called) also the elbows used on the offensive end that went uncalled. The refs missed lot of calls BOTH ways. So I understand both fans can be upset about the refs & I do not believe they made a difference in the outcome of this game.

For the Ezell fans, what was the opinion of the previous game @ DCA when DCA has 45 fouls called against them, has 6 players foul out & Ezell shot I believe about 46 free throws. This game went into overtime & Ezell won by just a couple points. The officials did pay a major role in the outcome of that game, In my opinion.

In my many years of watching Bball, I believe the officiating is getting worse each year, some are getting too old & the game has passed them by & some are of the younger breed & think they have to BE the show & want to be seen.

I was at the game as well & agree the officials were not that good. But, the previous posts do not say anything about the numerous walks Ezell committed & were not called (especially when the Ezell guy tripped on his own & then proceded to slide 4-5 feet on the floor WITH the ball & no walk called) also the elbows used on the offensive end that went uncalled. The refs missed lot of calls BOTH ways. So I understand both fans can be upset about the refs & I do not believe they made a difference in the outcome of this game.

For the Ezell fans, what was the opinion of the previous game @ DCA when DCA has 45 fouls called against them, has 6 players foul out & Ezell shot I believe about 46 free throws. This game went into overtime & Ezell won by just a couple points. The officials did pay a major role in the outcome of that game, In my opinion.

In my many years of watching Bball, I believe the officiating is getting worse each year, some are getting too old & the game has passed them by & some are of the younger breed & think they have to BE the show & want to be seen.