Perry Co. Vikings

SportsFan70

Looks like the Perry Co. Vikings are back to their old ways...coming off a 2nd straight District 12-A title, Region 6-A Runner-Up, Sub-State upset of the #1 team in the State Clarksville Academy Cougars on their home floor,(the first time they've been beatin by a 1A school and first home loss in 2 years and had 2 Mr. Basketball Finalists Malcolm and Martin Smith), and a trip to the Final Four...these Vikings are going to miss PG Dray Mercer who scored 30 points against Clarksville Acad. and got All-State honors...but 4 of the starting 5 are back...with Cannon Rhodes, Garrett Hill, Jacob Tucker(Mr. Football), Taylor Dill, and now got our big man Matt Gilboy (6-6)playing some great ball and looking better everyday...these guys are primed and ready for another run for The Gold Ball...they got some key players on the bench that can help out...alot of people are very excited about this season and hope it's injury free...GO VIKINGS!!! and bring home that State Record 7th STATE TITLE!!!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the Perry Co. Vikings are back to their old ways...coming off a 2nd straight District 12-A title, Region 6-A Runner-Up, Sub-State upset of the #1 team in the State Clarksville Academy Cougars on their home floor,(the first time they've been beatin by a 1A school and first home loss in 2 years and had 2 Mr. Basketball Finalists Malcolm and Martin Smith), and a trip to the Final Four...these Vikings are going to miss PG Dray Mercer who scored 30 points against Clarksville Acad. and got All-State honors...but 4 of the starting 5 are back...with Cannon Rhodes, Garrett Hill, Jacob Tucker(Mr. Football), Taylor Dill, and now got our big man Matt Gilboy (6-6)playing some great ball and looking better everyday...these guys are primed and ready for another run for The Gold Ball...they got some key players on the bench that can help out...alot of people are very excited about this season and hope it's injury free...GO VIKINGS!!! and bring home that State Record 7th STATE TITLE!!!

--------------------------------------------------

Be pulling for yall from Dyer County as my kinfolk wre part of the 3 in a row from the fifties..

Cut the nets down PC !! :thumb:

Edited by DHSFB64

The Gold ball is going back to the same place as last year.In Lake Co's trophy case..lol.I believe Perry Co.,Lake Co,BTW,Humboldt and probably Westwood would be the early favorites.Could be a few more.I think PC has a great chance to maybe not lose a game in the regular season or at least not many.But that could haunt Perry Co in the playoffs.I think Rhodes will score 30 points about every game and 50 points in sevearl games against some of the teams that PC plays.Which will have the PC people having a push for him being MR. Basketball.Whereas,Rafael Tyler will or should be up for the award also but doesnt need to score for LC to win.He is a wizard handling the ball and making passes for others to score.I would imagine that the Mr.Basketball will go to BTW's Newby.Committing to Ole Miss and being a finalist in AA last year.I think PC will ride on the shoulders of Rhodes.Tucker is a great athlete but PC will ride as far as Rhodes can shoot them .He will either shoot them to a win or out of a win.Not during the regular season but in the playoffs when it's an even match.If he's on,PC wins.If not,they lose..I look for PC to be ranked the #1 ranked team for the most part of the year.Think BTW and Lake co will be the top two when the polls come out but because of the schedules,see both the teams losing some games and dropping.BTW will go against those strong Memphis teams while Lake Co will play Humboldt several times,Union City sevearl times,Liberty twice,which will probably be a couple losses,Middle College,Middleton,Southside and a couple big tournaments.But they will be tested and make a run at the Gold Ball.

The Gold ball is going back to the same place as last year.In Lake Co's trophy case..lol.I believe Perry Co.,Lake Co,BTW,Humboldt and probably Westwood would be the early favorites.Could be a few more.I think PC has a great chance to maybe not lose a game in the regular season or at least not many.But that could haunt Perry Co in the playoffs.I think Rhodes will score 30 points about every game and 50 points in sevearl games against some of the teams that PC plays.Which will have the PC people having a push for him being MR. Basketball.Whereas,Rafael Tyler will or should be up for the award also but doesnt need to score for LC to win.He is a wizard handling the ball and making passes for others to score.I would imagine that the Mr.Basketball will go to BTW's Newby.Committing to Ole Miss and being a finalist in AA last year.I think PC will ride on the shoulders of Rhodes.Tucker is a great athlete but PC will ride as far as Rhodes can shoot them .He will either shoot them to a win or out of a win.Not during the regular season but in the playoffs when it's an even match.If he's on,PC wins.If not,they lose..I look for PC to be ranked the #1 ranked team for the most part of the year.Think BTW and Lake co will be the top two when the polls come out but because of the schedules,see both the teams losing some games and dropping.BTW will go against those strong Memphis teams while Lake Co will play Humboldt several times,Union City sevearl times,Liberty twice,which will probably be a couple losses,Middle College,Middleton,Southside and a couple big tournaments.But they will be tested and make a run at the Gold Ball.

We have alot more weapons than just Rhodes...he didn't have a great game against Clarksville Acad. and we had Tucker and Mercer step up...this years team is alot better than last in my opinion...because i go to practices, Rhodes dad and my dad were best friends in high school (Jimmy Hinson#15 jersey retired and was one of Perry Co.'s best Basketball players of all time)...me and Rhodes shoot everyday and Tucker will be fine after Football is over...and Taylor Dill has stepped up big time and so has Garrett Hill...we have some playmakers that will carry us to Murfreesboro...Cannon's not the only player we have

We have alot more weapons than just Rhodes...he didn't have a great game against Clarksville Acad. and we had Tucker and Mercer step up...this years team is alot better than last in my opinion...because i go to practices, Rhodes dad and my dad were best friends in high school (Jimmy Hinson#15 jersey retired and was one of Perry Co.'s best Basketball players of all time)...me and Rhodes shoot everyday and Tucker will be fine after Football is over...and Taylor Dill has stepped up big time and so has Garrett Hill...we have some playmakers that will carry us to Murfreesboro...Cannon's not the only player we have

I'm not saying he is PC's only player.I like all of your other players,including Gilboy.Mercer did a lot as far as defense,handling the ball and all out hustle.Tucker around the basket is as good as it gets.Still think Rhodes is the key against tough competition.Same as Rafael Tyler for Lake Co.I'm sure PC and LC could win a lot of games without either player but come stste tournament time if either of these guys don't show up to play,I think they lose.

I'm not saying he is PC's only player.I like all of your other players,including Gilboy.Mercer did a lot as far as defense,handling the ball and all out hustle.Tucker around the basket is as good as it gets.Still think Rhodes is the key against tough competition.Same as Rafael Tyler for Lake Co.I'm sure PC and LC could win a lot of games without either player but come stste tournament time if either of these guys don't show up to play,I think they lose.

Perry Co. lost 3 seniors in starter Dray Mercer and 2 reserves in Bates and Edwards...how many did Lake Co. lose from last year?

I wish LC was closer! I enjoyed the game here last year. PC's bench should be ready to step up when needed, juniors Edney and King should get quiet a bit of playtime and maybe a couple of sophomores will get in the mix here and there.

don't forget about Alex Bailey...the kid has become a BEAST...he's built alot of muscle during the summer...Jordan Jones is a Freshman and he's just like his uncle (Chris Jones from the '97 championship team that went to the NBA also) is a rebounding machine...we got some pretty good talent on the bench so i'm guessin around 8-9 players playing

Perry Co. lost 3 seniors in starter Dray Mercer and 2 reserves in Bates and Edwards...how many did Lake Co. lose from last year?

Lake Co only had 1 senior on the team last year so the Falcons only lost 1.The Gauldin kid,about 6'7 that many from PC thought Lake Co never utilized was the only senior.At the beginning of the year,Gauldin wasnt very mobile and Coach started working with him every day on boxes with feet movement and jumping.About the last month of the season Coach B put himm into the starting lineup because of his size and also put freshman point guard Zay Coleman in the starting lineup as well and Lake Co took off and won about 17 games in a row.Lake Co had a stud that was starting in Derek Swift about 6'4.Played a few games his junior year and had a double double against Union City and smoeone else.Was the most athletic player and best player on the team with the exception of Rafael Tyler and it would depend on whether you wanted a stud guard or a stud around the basket that can shoot,rebound,.Rick Bolus has 3 Lake Co players ranked in his top 30 or 40 players in Tenn with Rafael Tyler,Ricky Boyd and Devon Jones.Swift isn't listed but in my opinion Swift is better than Boyd and Jones.He's not listed because Bolus isn't aware of him .Swift moved away and them moved back with about a month left in the season.He didnt get to play in the district tournamet or the region.The TSSAA finally ruled him eligible the day of the sub-state game.Coach B probably didnt think it was right to insert him in the starting lineup at that time since he wasnt with the team all year and Gauldin was playing really well also.But he was the first or 2nd off the bench even then.He's the player that slammed the missed layup in the State tournament game.So basically Lake Co has what should be a better team with everyone back ,including Swift and the two players that were starting before Coach B made the switch in Caleb Bledsoe,about 6'5 and Stetson Swift,a guard.Lake Co will be able to go about 10 deep with no drop off.

Edited by mrbigster