4A Playoffs Right Now

Gerry Bertier

Whatever system we are in people are not going to be happy. Out of the four ways we have done the playoffs the last four years, this years system is the best we have had. Here is why.

2008- Some of you said we need to go back to the five class system, if that was the case this year Kingsbury would still be hosting a home game, which is one of the major complaints this year. Obion Co. would still be going on the road at 9-1.

2009- First year of the full implementation of the Z plan. It was a disaster due to the restrictions and standards of getting. Teams were seeded by where they finished in their district. For example all 1st place teams, then 2nd, then 3rd and so on. No value was put on overall record, and those teams playing in tough districts were punished. We also had the fun rule where teams in the same district could not play each other in the 1st round.

2010- The TSSAA gets a lot of complaints so they change again. Problems for this year where that overall record was how teams were seeded. So you had teams who had come in 2nd in the district placed ahead of teams they lost to and who won their district. (example: Franklin (8-2) was a #6 seed and Brentwood (7-3) an #8 seed) Teams with weak schedules were rewarded and it gave top seeds tough 1st round games.

2010- Another year and another change. Now the TSSAA gives district winners first priority in seeding, followed by district runner ups, beyond that it is based on overall record. Traditional powerhouses had a tough time scheduling games, just like previous years.

Every year you will have a group unhappy, let's try to find something and stick with it. Out of those 4 scenarios. I like this year's plan the best.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missing my point.... Just because Trezevant can't participate doesn't mean you punish other teams as well... Like you stated somebody is always gonna be unhappy, but I think this scenario could be avoided! Jmo

If you did it your way, you could argue that it is not fair for those teams to have to play Trezevant when they can't make the playoffs. The TSSAA has it right with this one. Typically you won't have a 2-7 team, but you will always have exceptions to the rule no way around it.

I do like the suggestion that they get in the playoffs but are seeded as a wild card.

If you did it your way, you could argue that it is not fair for those teams to have to play Trezevant when they can't make the playoffs. The TSSAA has it right with this one. Typically you won't have a 2-7 team, but you will always have exceptions to the rule no way around it.

I do like the suggestion that they get in the playoffs but are seeded as a wild card.

Yes either way... Don't get in or do get in and don't host.

and how does kingsbury get a home game...shouldnt they be the 8 seed???

dhstennis .usetocc.. . THIS WAS MY POINT OF POST >> IMO the Memphis coaches, powers that be have figured out the playoff system to insure they play round 1 at home..its happenning in all classes regarding Memphis teams getting to play most round 1 games at home .. its not fair to other districts in our area since they have to play at least 6 games within their district... surely TSSAA will make changes for next year as they will be losing big $$$$$$$$$ playing more games in Memphis...

u must be talkin about MUS and MBA on the kingsbury schedule...no kidding...theyre awesome...but everyone else on that schedule is pretty mediocre...and then theres frayser...even worse...not even close to that kind of talent on the schedule...so no i completely disagree with ur assessment...they dont play white station...or ridgeway...or christian brothers or anyone like that...u saw urself what dyer county did this past week to trezevant who is far and away the best team in that district...47-6...its highway robbery that a 5-5 team from a tough district...or 1 who even plays a ridiculously tough nondistrict schedule has to pay the price for "no team left behind"...

I agree with both of you fellows,I was only making the point that Memphis coaches ,powers that be schedule their teams to be 1st 2nd wildcard teams knowing outside districts Must play twice the amount of district games that can not overtake the Memphis teams come seeding time no matter the better winning records on account of TSSAA voo-doo math in determining seeding..they outsmarted the system in all classes to gain home field advantage..it doesnt affect 14AA as yall usually go to quad 3..

Good luck in the playoffs..all 3 teams from 14AA should represent well :hungry:

GB...i mean this respectfully...i think what we are trying to say is that...

1. yes they should have to play trezevant...

2. they should have to beat trezevant to get into the postseason...

3. if trezevant finishes 1st...and 1 of these teams comes in 3rd behind 3A manassas and is sub .500 they should not be allowed in...

4. to be the man, u gota beat the man...no one in that district beat flair...

5. not every district deserves to have a representative in the playoffs...

example...jcm 3A...plays in one of the toughest 4A districts in the state...14AA does not have a rep in the 3A playoffs...well if kingsbury or frayser gets in...why cant jcm play in 3A...guarentee jcm is better than either of them

another example...and yes i know this isnt the BCS...but usc still plays a full schedule in the pac 10/12...if they knock off oregon or stanford...they knock them out of the BCS games...they can knock them out of the rose bowl but they cant play in the games themselves...if any of those teams wana play in the national championship as happened last year...u gota beat them...it didnt happen in memphis...

no one is saying ur wrong...just saying that it would be more fair to let a deserving team in instead of a 3-7 team that doesnt deserve it...

this is just like no team left behind...punishes those that excel and allows the stinkers to hang around a lil longer...

GB...i mean this respectfully...i think what we are trying to say is that...

1. yes they should have to play trezevant...

2. they should have to beat trezevant to get into the postseason...

3. if trezevant finishes 1st...and 1 of these teams comes in 3rd behind 3A manassas and is sub .500 they should not be allowed in...

4. to be the man, u gota beat the man...no one in that district beat flair...

5. not every district deserves to have a representative in the playoffs...

example...jcm 3A...plays in one of the toughest 4A districts in the state...14AA does not have a rep in the 3A playoffs...well if kingsbury or frayser gets in...why cant jcm play in 3A...guarentee jcm is better than either of them

another example...and yes i know this isnt the BCS...but usc still plays a full schedule in the pac 10/12...if they knock off oregon or stanford...they knock them out of the BCS games...they can knock them out of the rose bowl but they cant play in the games themselves...if any of those teams wana play in the national championship as happened last year...u gota beat them...it didnt happen in memphis...

no one is saying ur wrong...just saying that it would be more fair to let a deserving team in instead of a 3-7 team that doesnt deserve it...

this is just like no team left behind...punishes those that excel and allows the stinkers to hang around a lil longer...

Are you considering a team that is 5-5 excelling? I could understand if a team who is 7-3 or 6-4 misses the playoffs, but that is not going to happen.

Your college football example actually benefits my argument more than yours. If USC goes undefeated in the Pac 12 South, the 2nd place team goes to the Pac 12 championship, which is what the TSSAA is doing here. When it comes to teams going to bowls the Pac 12 South 3rd place team will be treated like the 2nd place team due to USC's punishment.

Are you considering a team that is 5-5 excelling? I could understand if a team who is 7-3 or 6-4 misses the playoffs, but that is not going to happen.

Your college football example actually benefits my argument more than yours. If USC goes undefeated in the Pac 12 South, the 2nd place team goes to the Pac 12 championship, which is what the TSSAA is doing here. When it comes to teams going to bowls the Pac 12 South 3rd place team will be treated like the 2nd place team due to USC's punishment.

actually i win...was hoping ud say that...TCU played wisconsin last year in the rose bowl...not another pac 10/12 team...TCU would be a wild card not a conference team...

actually i win...was hoping ud say that...TCU played wisconsin last year in the rose bowl...not another pac 10/12 team...TCU would be a wild card not a conference team...

Last year's example is not the example I used. Last year the Pac 10 did not have a championship game. This year they do. If USC is the top team in their division, then the 2nd place team gets to go to the championship, even if there is a North team with a better record.

You can argue and belly ache all you want but like I said it will not change the rule. The only change to the rule should be that runner-up should be treated as a Wild Card for seeding purposes.

Last year's example is not the example I used. Last year the Pac 10 did not have a championship game. This year they do. If USC is the top team in their division, then the 2nd place team gets to go to the championship, even if there is a North team with a better record.

You can argue and belly ache all you want but like I said it will not change the rule. The only change to the rule should be that runner-up should be treated as a Wild Card for seeding purposes.

theyre not the runner up GB...theyre not even the 3rd place team yet...kingsbury is 2-7 and prolly goin to the playoffs...

im going to occupy coacht and protest...and maybe it will change...

u know were right...whether thats the way the playoffs are set up or not...common sense says so...thats all were pointing out...u can defend it all u want because its in writing...but that doesnt make it a golden rule...it will change...just give it time

fairley lost last night, how does that affect the winner of Obion vs Dyersburg and even Covington? Help please!

quote name='Gerry Bertier' timestamp='1319734042' post='2714161']

fairley lost last night, how does that affect the winner of Obion vs Dyersburg and even Covington? Help please!

Looks to me like Sheffield will become the district runner up instead of Fairley, unless Hillcrest beats Mitchell. If Sheffield becomes runner up, looks like someone may get bumped from the quad. Or, depending on other games around, Hillcrest may get bumped out altogether as they sit on the edge now.