MBA vs JP2

rollbigred1

The game should not even be close...the Big Red will roll at JP2. Granted, MBA's coaching staff is still trying to figure out all the pieces; they have the luxury of too much depth not to beat another "poor" opponent. Most HS can not go 4 deep in running backs and still win, The challenge is to beat one of the better teams in D2 this year. That is how you measure a season.. not how many weak sisters you beat.

Also, the first playoff game looks like a cupcake. Two wins and the Big Red roll into nooga to face Baylor. The first Baylor game was close, so if MBA wants it bad enough and Baylor doesn't get up for the game, you could see MBA going deeper into the Playoffs than most thought after the E game...shades of two years ago. The key - MBA's passing attack will have to shine against the better teams to have a chance to win the prize.

I'll be back with the game score latter in the week.

The game should not even be close...the Big Red will roll at JP2. Granted, MBA's coaching staff is still trying to figure out all the pieces; they have the luxury of too much depth not to beat another "poor" opponent. Most HS can not go 4 deep in running backs and still win, The challenge is to beat one of the better teams in D2 this year. That is how you measure a season.. not how many weak sisters you beat.

Also, the first playoff game looks like a cupcake. Two wins and the Big Red roll into nooga to face Baylor. The first Baylor game was close, so if MBA wants it bad enough and Baylor doesn't get up for the game, you could see MBA going deeper into the Playoffs than most thought after the E game...shades of two years ago. The key - MBA's passing attack will have to shine against the better teams to have a chance to win the prize.

I'll be back with the game score latter in the week.

As described earlier, it wasn't close...35-0. JP2 tried to stay around for awhile, but no real O in the second half. MBA had a couple nice runs and the D bent, but never broke. Not sure what you call a 5 and 5 regular season when the wins are against teams who had losing records, but it is over and on to the playoffs. Looks like MBA plays at home against Briarcrest. Will check in with the Memphis connects and get a better read on them. They only lost 26 to 10 to MUS tonight, but I know MUS is down this year.

MBA wins, another road win.

9-3 last year with everyone back and now 5-5. Go figure....

Im so sick of seeing our alumni bad mouth the school and team this year. Might be a down year but they have played well recently and still have a shot in the playoffs. Quit harping on the past or go join Dan, Bill and Barton and continue to belly ache. No body is listening anymore. Roll Red.

Im so sick of seeing our alumni bad mouth the school and team this year. Might be a down year but they have played well recently and still have a shot in the playoffs. Quit harping on the past or go join Dan, Bill and Barton and continue to belly ache. No body is listening anymore. Roll Red.

I am not a grad of the school but facts are facts very under performing team this year based on players that were coming back with lots of exp. This team did not beat anyone this year . PC ended 5-5 and is the pnly team that MBA beat with a winning record. Is it the Sr class leadership or the coaching ? MBA never has the talent that Ensworth and BA have but have competed in the past. BA and Ensworth are good but not like prior yr teams that were all big and fast ..

I feel like the Big Red has really improved over the past few weeks. That was a big win on the road in Chattanooga at McCallie. If the Big Red has gotten hot at the right time look for a run deep into the playoffs!

Nope, not this year. What was the JPII score at half, 7-0? They are awful. BA was either 28 or 35-0 at half vs McCallie. MBA will come back, but this years team is slow and mediocre

I am not a grad of the school but facts are facts very under performing team this year based on players that were coming back with lots of exp. This team did not beat anyone this year . PC ended 5-5 and is the pnly team that MBA beat with a winning record. Is it the Sr class leadership or the coaching ? MBA never has the talent that Ensworth and BA have but have competed in the past. BA and Ensworth are good but not like prior yr teams that were all big and fast ..

I really don't think this team underperformed that badly, and I don't think their performance warrants the hand-wringing and calls for house-cleaning that are surfacing. This is not, imho, a spectacularly talented team. They have some pretty good athletes,but I don't see many of the seniors playing football next year, even at smaller programs.

You can't ignore the impact of off-the-field issues on this team. McGugin's departure was anything but seamless, and the way it dragged on created factions and divisions, and none of those are good for a football team. I also suspect Euverard was badly handicapped by coming in just before spring practice. Certainly other teams coped with coaching changes, but this one seems to have created a level of divisiveness not often seen at MBA. Add to the off-field issues the departure of Jalen Hurd and C. J. Sanders, both of whom would have been significant contributors.

Further, Div II-AA was just better this year. BGA has more talent than usual with Beathard, and he has a very competent, well-drilled, and disciplined team around him. I mean no slur against BGA, but they generally lack the talent and depth to compete in this division. I can't help thinking that Euverard is somehow a part of that. Likewise, I think Baylor is a better team than anticipated this year.

That's not to say I'm thrilled with everything, or that I think everything will automatically be rosy again soon. I'm disturbed by the number of penalties; MBA teams are traditionally nothing if not disciplined. And while I'm no expert on defensive football, it's pretty clear that there's a lot of confusion on defense. I would expect to see improvement in that next season.

Lastly, all the panic seems to me to ignore history. MBA has always been a top flight program, but I wouldn't consider it a dynasty at all, certainly not in the sense of Alcoa or Maryville or BA. MBA produces 3-4 good teams, with the occasionally really poor one. The '69 team went 2-8, as did the '76 team. Most of the '70's were fairly forgettable. And MBA never won a state championship on the field prior to the split.

Not an ideal season, certainly not what anyone wanted, but hardly the end of the world. With the exception of the BA game, the boys have played hard. I don't think things are all that bad.

I really don't think this team underperformed that badly, and I don't think their performance warrants the hand-wringing and calls for house-cleaning that are surfacing. This is not, imho, a spectacularly talented team. They have some pretty good athletes,but I don't see many of the seniors playing football next year, even at smaller programs.

You can't ignore the impact of off-the-field issues on this team. McGugin's departure was anything but seamless, and the way it dragged on created factions and divisions, and none of those are good for a football team. I also suspect Euverard was badly handicapped by coming in just before spring practice. Certainly other teams coped with coaching changes, but this one seems to have created a level of divisiveness not often seen at MBA. Add to the off-field issues the departure of Jalen Hurd and C. J. Sanders, both of whom would have been significant contributors.

Further, Div II-AA was just better this year. BGA has more talent than usual with Beathard, and he has a very competent, well-drilled, and disciplined team around him. I mean no slur against BGA, but they generally lack the talent and depth to compete in this division. I can't help thinking that Euverard is somehow a part of that. Likewise, I think Baylor is a better team than anticipated this year.

That's not to say I'm thrilled with everything, or that I think everything will automatically be rosy again soon. I'm disturbed by the number of penalties; MBA teams are traditionally nothing if not disciplined. And while I'm no expert on defensive football, it's pretty clear that there's a lot of confusion on defense. I would expect to see improvement in that next season.

Lastly, all the panic seems to me to ignore history. MBA has always been a top flight program, but I wouldn't consider it a dynasty at all, certainly not in the sense of Alcoa or Maryville or BA. MBA produces 3-4 good teams, with the occasionally really poor one. The '69 team went 2-8, as did the '76 team. Most of the '70's were fairly forgettable. And MBA never won a state championship on the field prior to the split.

Not an ideal season, certainly not what anyone wanted, but hardly the end of the world. With the exception of the BA game, the boys have played hard. I don't think things are all that bad.

I do not know how long you have been watching MBA football but they are usually upper classman based teams due to the numbers that they have vs the Ensworths and BA teams . we have more boys and with that we usually have some under classman sprinkled in but do not count on them as vital playes.. The success year end and year out at MBA is with its Sr class and those two boys mentioned would have played but were Fr and Soph players. This team had roughly half its starters returning and Ba and Ensworth and Baylor are not as good as they were last year.... why have we fallen so far is my only question? Last yrs team did not possess the DI talent either but were 9-3??