McMinn -vs- Bradley

TribeFan

I was at the game and Bradley doubled Oak Ridge in yards first downs and every aspect of the game my friend. your coaches did a great job in the second half by moving the kid (that went to vandy started with a V,he was most impressive lineman i have seen in last 2 years wished UT would have gotten him), anyway he started pancaking people 10 yards downfield and your coach ran 98% of your plays behind him in the 2nd half to keep the ball out of Bradley's hands and took an amazing amount of time off the clock. My hat goes off to your coaching staff for their in game transition it was the best coached game I have seen in a while, however he did that because OR could not stop Bradley and for the record the call of pulling the player into the end zone? seriously? that was what won the game for you guys. I was there and was on your bleacher side rooting for you but Bradley dominated that game and I left scratching my head as to how you got out of there with a win and wondering exactly how Bradley and their coaches allowed you out of there with that win! I will give your team props they played hard an earned their win but Bradley did dominate, the most puzzling game maybe I have ever seen.

They got loasa of passing yards, i agree there. Like i said though, we give up alot of yards generally. Stats dont mean much. The final score does. You can have 800 yds,but if you can't score you wont win. I honestly can't tell what the deal was on that dragging the player in the endzone deal really. All i know is we won, that's all i cared about. Bradley was loaded last year. They had more talent, but they didn't dominate i dont think. we have a much better staff, i think.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They got loasa of passing yards, i agree there. Like i said though, we give up alot of yards generally. Stats dont mean much. The final score does. You can have 800 yds,but if you can't score you wont win. I honestly can't tell what the deal was on that dragging the player in the endzone deal really. All i know is we won, that's all i cared about. Bradley was loaded last year. They had more talent, but they didn't dominate i dont think. we have a much better staff, i think.

I will agree with you about your coaching staff they are very good and give your team its best possible chance to win. I will also agree that Bradley had more talent than Oak Ridge. On the touchdown called back (play of the game) the Stoval kid was dragging 2-3 of your defenders about 10 yards down the field and one of the Bradley kids came up from behind at about the 5 yard line to help push him in then at the last second got hit by a OR guy from the side that spun him around stoval and down to the ground in the end zone and as he went to the ground he pulled stoval down with him into the end zone. You can push someone into the end zone but not pull, but I felt like the kid was hit by the OR player changing the play to what it was. Much like someone being blocked into a kicker and having a no call by the ref. however there was not a no call, it was a huge call that determined the outcome of the game. Anyway you guys did nothing in the first half and did as I previously stated come out in the second half and ran well behind that V kid, I do not have all the stats in memory but remember after the game being in shock and then hearing on the radio the stats and wondered how? Best I remember you had less than 200 total yards with your top rusher with about 60-something yards. Bradley had about 500 yards with about 250-275 passing and 200-225 rushing. Bradley almost had a 50-50 run/pass game. After watching you guys on the opening drive of the 2nd half and then watching Bradley completely get away from the running game early in the 3rd quarter, I turned to my wife and told her that if Bradley did not get back to the run they would lose, and my beautiful football wife agreed(man its good to have a wife that loves football as much as me) anyway for 3 drives in the second half you did control the game behind that V boy. Best i remember it was 3-4 yards every carry, took time off clock and stuck it in the end zone. Bradley should have won but props to your school for doing what it needed to in order to win. Had Bradley stuck to the run they definitly would have won. 500 compared to 200 total yards is dominating a team but on 2 drives and a short field on a 3rd drive Oak Ridge did take Bradley to the wood shed. As for this years Bradley team, they are better than last years I am not a follower of them so I don't know all of their players, but I think they only lost about 3 contributors from last years team and only 1 main playmaker I think, but none of their speed. Their line is much bigger than last year. They have about 3 kids with the size of the V boy that played for you last year and the big one that committed with UT is only a soph. 6-6 300 lbs. moose. Anyway you are correct you won regardless of how it looked a W is a W , i have my opinion of last years game and you have yours as I meant no disrespect that was how I seen it last year. 1 question how many teams win with a total yard deficit like last years? Unless there is a lot of turnovers which I can't exactly remember but don't think there was on Bradley's side.

I know kids can be kids, but he's a fine young man, son of a Church Pastor, and just not one to cuss. I heard he questioned the ref why the penalties weren't offsetting. One of the other refs told McMinn's coach after the game that the ref shouldn't have tossed him over asking a question.

Is his dad the Simbeck that runs McMinn Fire? If So how long has he been a pastor I remember him from 20 yrs ago and would of never guessed he was a pastor. But regardless Looked like Bradley quit as a team and thier play calling was terrible in the second half they ran the same 2 plays for all the 3rd and beginning of the 4th. Copeland is left handed and they ran everything to the right until they were so far behind they could have caught up if they got 12 points for a td, refs were bad but there was alot of no calls and Mcminn played way more physical than bradley that usually gets more flags in high school. Weather seemed to effect Bradley with holding onto football when hit hard but 2nd fumble Bears running back stripped it from the qb. Mcminn played like it was thier rival and bears played like they did a few yrs ago. Tackled like they did againt owls on tv, terrible play calling and turnovers plus Mcminn hitting them in the mouth = Blowout.

His name is Simbeck, and you might want to watch the replay. BOTH players were scuffling, but only one team gets penalized? Simbeck asked the ref why there weren't offsetting penalties then he gets tossed? THAT is why he was mad!

I agree Bradley didn't play well, but I think the Cherokees had a lot to do with that.

Thanks for the correction. I thought it was Simcox. My bad.

I had a good view of him coming up swinging. I just reported what I saw and knew. And if you really read my post, I did say a couple of the Bears had to be pulled away as well. But he did come up swinging first. The reason why only he and those right there know for sure, but I am sure someone today will have the reason on here, if not already, that I haven't seen.

I was expecting offsetting penalties so was mildly surprised they weren't. I really do try to tell what happened without any spin.

I think McMinn played a great game. And a couple of fumbles were strips by McMinn. but another couple were simply Bears putting the ball on the ground, and the punt situation was caused by a bad snap, which should never be an issue. The snappers first and foremost job, no matter what, is a good snap. If he misses the block that is bad but a bad the snap is worse.

Part of McMinn's gameplan was to blanket Stovall, and knock the stuffing out of him when he did catch the ball. Well, the Cherokees did both exceptionally well, and after the last lick on Stovall, he took himself out of the game limping.

Yeah with an arm almost pulled out of socket with the hold and takedown the McMinn kid put on him that resulted in the penalty. And knocking the stuffing out a an opposing player is always supposed to be part of the gameplan for any team. :D

Coverage was good on him most of the night. But a couple of passes were off a bit off too, and just a fraction closer, he probably has a couple of TD's as well. Well played by both players for the most part.

I seem to remember a couple of McMinn kids haveing to go out after injuries too. Maybe cause it was a hard hitting game like all Bradley - McMinn affairs are. I guess they took themselves out because it was too hard too. :rolleyes:

Well, Mr. Nevins does lay the wood when he hits. :thumb:

You say it was shoulder and someone else said it was ankle. Why don't you all get together and decide what it was and get back to us. ;)

It was most definitely a shoulder injury. Until the trainer got there his right arm was limp in his lap. They spent a few minutes working under his shoulder pad, before he got up. Luckily he seemed to have good mobility in his arm afterwards, but we'll have to see about that this week.

They guy that said it was an ankle was a McMinn fan, and was guessing since he was either on the other side of the field, or watching in TV from a long distance. It was right in front of where I was sitting.

Edited by alt1958

Bradley pretty well did dominate the stats, last year against Oak Ridge, but lost in the only stat that truly counts. The penalty for pulling into the endzone was correctly called and was probably the one single play that cost Bradley the game if you want to point to a play the game pivoted on. Bradley goes ahead there, they probably win (notice I said "probably" not "would of")with the momentum of going ahead that late in the game.

Bradley did have a better defense last year but losing two starting LB's and the DE Bolton has been noticeable. Offensively Bradley has been somewhat better this year.

But considering that barely 5 years ago Bradley was 0-10 (and everyone's homecoming game choice) I like what this staff has accomplished, so far. At the very least we are competitive with most teams in the state.

At the start of the season, I predicted 8-2 at best, and probably 7-3 on a local pick-em show i helped with. I said we would get beat by Baylor and Blackman, and a third team would probably jump up and bite us. Obviously McMinn County did. I know I have black and gold shaded glasses, but I really do try to be honest in my observations and discussions and limit my homerish side. :thumb:

Thanks for the correction. I thought it was Simcox. My bad.

I had a good view of him coming up swinging. I just reported what I saw and knew. And if you really read my post, I did say a couple of the Bears had to be pulled away as well. But he did come up swinging first. The reason why only he and those right there know for sure, but I am sure someone today will have the reason on here, if not already, that I haven't seen.

I was expecting offsetting penalties so was mildly surprised they weren't. I really do try to tell what happened without any spin.

I think McMinn played a great game. And a couple of fumbles were strips by McMinn. but another couple were simply Bears putting the ball on the ground, and the punt situation was caused by a bad snap, which should never be an issue. The snappers first and foremost job, no matter what, is a good snap. If he misses the block that is bad but a bad the snap is worse.

In reading your posts on here for a couple of years I've never known you to put any spin on it. Naturally, a fan of either team sees things different. My initial comment about Simbeck was that it wasn't his nature to be one to want to fight. I've watched him for two years now and he's been sacked and blasted a few times, only to get up and shake the cobwebs out of his head. He has NEVER been involved in an altercation like that. I think the intensity of this game had a lot to do with his response (though some of your Bradley posters on here said McMinn wasn't really a rival) and the fact he was piled on, prodded, and poked, and he responded. To add insult to injury, only McMinn was penalized, so he questioned the ref. Perhaps his voice was too high-pitched or something, but that ref saw fit to eject him. Another ref there on the spot, saw it, heard it, and disagreed with it not being offsetting penalties AND the ejection. He voluntarily told McMinn's coach after the game that if anything he would have come to him (the coach) and told him to take his player out of the game to cool down......and since there were only a couple minutes left and the game was out of reach, the coach said he would have kept him there. But, as I said, it is what it is.

As far as your other posts, yes it was another hard-hitting classic between two rivals. I imagine both teams have players who will be spending time relaxing this weekend healing bruises. I love that physicality, but I never, NEVER wish permanent injury on anyone......so I pray that Mr. Stovall will be OK.

Bottom line was that McMinn's players were much better mentally prepared by their coaching staff than Bradley's were. McMinn played on their passion, Bradley played on their press-clippings.

In reading your posts on here for a couple of years I've never known you to put any spin on it. Naturally, a fan of either team sees things different. My initial comment about Simbeck was that it wasn't his nature to be one to want to fight. I've watched him for two years now and he's been sacked and blasted a few times, only to get up and shake the cobwebs out of his head. He has NEVER been involved in an altercation like that. I think the intensity of this game had a lot to do with his response (though some of your Bradley posters on here said McMinn wasn't really a rival) and the fact he was piled on, prodded, and poked, and he responded. To add insult to injury, only McMinn was penalized, so he questioned the ref. Perhaps his voice was too high-pitched or something, but that ref saw fit to eject him. Another ref there on the spot, saw it, heard it, and disagreed with it not being offsetting penalties AND the ejection. He voluntarily told McMinn's coach after the game that if anything he would have come to him (the coach) and told him to take his player out of the game to cool down......and since there were only a couple minutes left and the game was out of reach, the coach said he would have kept him there. But, as I said, it is what it is.

As far as your other posts, yes it was another hard-hitting classic between two rivals. I imagine both teams have players who will be spending time relaxing this weekend healing bruises. I love that physicality, but I never, NEVER wish permanent injury on anyone......so I pray that Mr. Stovall will be OK.

Bottom line was that McMinn's players were much better mentally prepared by their coaching staff than Bradley's were. McMinn played on their passion, Bradley played on their press-clippings.

Mcminn is a rival but not thier number one rival that is Cleveland (as long as they are on each others schedule) I agree that Mcminn was better prepared, I thought that and said in another thread bears would get out coached at least once and it happened last nite not taking anything from floyd but he needs to reevaluate his coordinaters from time to time and maybe over ride some of thier play calling, even when they where behind McMinn played with more fire than bears. In the Chattanooga paper Simbeck said and his coach agreed it was his fault on the ejection provoked or not but they will appeal hope they win but its a toss up with T$$aa. By the way is Simbecks dad over the McMinn fire aau program?

Is his dad the Simbeck that runs McMinn Fire? If So how long has he been a pastor I remember him from 20 yrs ago and would of never guessed he was a pastor. But regardless Looked like Bradley quit as a team and thier play calling was terrible in the second half they ran the same 2 plays for all the 3rd and beginning of the 4th. Copeland is left handed and they ran everything to the right until they were so far behind they could have caught up if they got 12 points for a td, refs were bad but there was alot of no calls and Mcminn played way more physical than bradley that usually gets more flags in high school. Weather seemed to effect Bradley with holding onto football when hit hard but 2nd fumble Bears running back stripped it from the qb. Mcminn played like it was thier rival and bears played like they did a few yrs ago. Tackled like they did againt owls on tv, terrible play calling and turnovers plus Mcminn hitting them in the mouth = Blowout.

No, the Simbeck that coaches McMinn Fire is his uncle. :thumb:

Mcminn is a rival but not thier number one rival that is Cleveland (as long as they are on each others schedule) I agree that Mcminn was better prepared, I thought that and said in another thread bears would get out coached at least once and it happened last nite not taking anything from floyd but he needs to reevaluate his coordinaters from time to time and maybe over ride some of thier play calling, even when they where behind McMinn played with more fire than bears. In the Chattanooga paper Simbeck said and his coach agreed it was his fault on the ejection provoked or not but they will appeal hope they win but its a toss up with T$$aa. By the way is Simbecks dad over the McMinn fire aau program?

Simbeck's comment to the Chattanooga newspaper shows the classy kid he is. I guarantee you this young man apologized to his teammates, and asked forgiveness from God for his reaction. It happens in the heat of battle. However, I do think the ref went overboard with the ejection.

I see that 89Charger answered you on the Simbeck. The QB's Father pastors a Church in Athens.

I think it's obvious that in the last 20+ years that Cleveland is Bradley's biggest rival. Back when Cleveland was a powerhouse they were Mcminn's biggest rival too (1) because they were the best,(2) and because of the friendship between Monroe and Mullinax. I equate the McMinn & Cleveland games to the Tennessee & Florida games as being the biggest rival the last 20+ years, when the Gators were also a powerhouse. But the true rival for most Tennessee fans (in my opinion) is, and always be Alabama. Just like McMinn & Bradley, the Tennessee & Alabama game is the decades-old rivalry that legends were made.

Edited by blitzinbuc

I appreciate you recoginizing the difference between bombast, and honest discussion. Sometimes it gets lost on some.

I just read in the Chattanooga paper, that Simbeck admits to responding badly and one of the refs disagreed with the call as it was. Like I said I was surpised it wasn't off setting personal fouls. Also Coach Cagle even said that Bradley did not play as well as usual, and I would think he would know that from the films he watched.

Also I would have to say that back to back to back rival games is not easy. Walker Valley, while not a good team, is still an in county rival, that the kids would make an extra effort on, then the game with Cleveland, which has to be the #1 rival today, because of being cross town as well. Not disrespecting the long time rivalry with McMinn, but to the current kids it has probably dropped back a bit. And then McMinn on top of that.

It is what it is and McMinn deserved the win. Good Luck with your draw and hopefully both teams avoid the big guns the first round at least. :popcorneater: