The Poster Child of How the New Playoff System is Broke....

davidlimbaugh

Travel is the sole reason we have this 'Z' plan. And it wasn't any complaining about travel by coaches or fans. It was administrators because the price of gas was soaring. Our principals caused this mess, not our football coaches. And it wasn't about the post-season. It was for the regular season. They wanted to be able to have district schools closer to them, thus the A AA AAA so schools could be bunched 'closer together' to cut down travel during the regular season.

Travel is NOT the "sole reason" for the Z plan! You can thank Brentwood Academy for the Z plan. Having fought the TSSAA for more than 10 years and 3 or more trips to an appeals courts..simply drained the TSSAA's "rainy day" fund...many estimate it to be near the $7,000,000 range that was depleted. Therefore...8 classes of football will help "restore" that fund much quicker than 5, 6, or 7 classes as we've had previously! Being from a "big school" surrounded by many smaller schools....travel is all we know. Many teams this past year "chose" to travel from Memphis to Murfreesboro, from Hendersonville to Germantown, from Paris to Hendersonville, or even Memphis to Dallas, TX or Murfreesboro to Louisville, KY. He who says that the funds "aren't there" is mistaken. If you have a competitive team...most, if not all communities will ensure that the "funds are there"!

Edited by QBClubPrez

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb:

Travel is NOT the "sole reason" for the Z plan! You can thank Brentwood Academy for the Z plan. Having fought the TSSAA for more than 10 years and 3 or more trips to an appeals courts..simply drained the TSSAA's "rainy day" fund...many estimate it to be near the $7,000,000 range that was depleted. Therefore...8 classes of football will help "restore" that fund much quicker than 5, 6, or 7 classes as we've had previously! Being from a "big school" surrounded by many smaller schools....travel is all we know. Many teams this past year "chose" to travel from Memphis to Murfreesboro, from Hendersonville to Germantown, from Paris to Hendersonville, or even Memphis to Dallas, TX or Murfreesboro to Louisville, KY. He who says that the funds "aren't there" is mistaken. If you have a competitive team...most, if not all communities will ensure that the "funds are there"!

QBClubPrez your certainly in the minority about the Z Plan and it was Ronnie Carter's baby and then he jumped ship :popcorneater: It's a total mess for sure.

:thumb:

QBClubPrez your certainly in the minority about the Z Plan and it was Ronnie Carter's baby and then he jumped ship :popcorneater: It's a total mess for sure.

Ronnie Carter was "in office" when this litigation began...he knew the cost of this court battle....thus..I agree..it was his "baby"...he knew how to recoup some of his losses.

p.s. Hogan..I read many of your posts..sorry if I've given the "false impression" that I like this plan over another. That is not the case...although I do understand the procedures of the Z-plan...there are better plans!

Edited by QBClubPrez

Got to the DNJ.com and read Kreagers article under the sports tab. choose high school sports and you will be able to find it. He brings up a good point. Coffee Co makes it in under the old system and a good 7-3 team from Siegel gets left out. He also mentions some tweaks that would help. Hogan you would like one of them.

I don't understand this arguement/concept of travel. It's simply not an issue. I've NEVER heard a single school complain about where they must go EXCEPT the Williamson County public schools (Brentwood High, Franklin, etc.) when they moan about having to travel "all the way over to Rutherford County" :roflol: when Manassas and Lewis County are playing this week as are Grundy County and Goodpasture, Liberty Tech and Macon County, Lenoir City and Columbia, and Arlington travels to Dickson County....yet none of these seem to have an issue with their travel plans. As a matter of fact...talking with the Arlington coach...he knew he needed to win last Friday night yet came up 1 point short...thus his Tigers are on the road this week at Dickson County. Who are these that wish to remain 30 minutes from home??

The arguement is when teams from your own state refuse to play you due to the current system. Wins are premium. This causes you to have to travel out of state atleast once a year to fill a schedule. Such as Cincinati, Olive Branch, or Christian Co., KY. Smaller schools cant afford the loss and refuse to schedule bigger schools. Stretches the travel budget. And no not all communities rally behind the local high school programs to send them around the state during playoffs. Murfreesboro has four high schools of which most in the community barely know that they are there and could care less who they play in the playoffs and how much it will cost. So funding is not readily available. That is why so many schools have boosters. Even they are limited to what they can do. So yes the Z plan has its positives. But it is the negatives that make it so bad and should be addressed. This seems to be falling on deaf ears at the T$$AA.

Edited by milo118

The arguement is when teams from your own state refuse to play you due to the current system. Wins are premium. This causes you to have to travel out of state atleast once a year to fill a schedule. Such as Cincinati, Olive Branch, or Christian Co., KY. Smaller schools cant afford the loss and refuse to schedule bigger schools. Stretches the travel budget. And no not all communities rally behind the local high school programs to send them around the state during playoffs. Murfreesboro has four high schools of which most in the community barely know that they are there and could care less who they play in the playoffs and how much it will cost. So funding is not readily available. That is why so many schools have boosters. Even they are limited to what they can do. So yes the Z plan has its positives. But it is the negatives that make it so bad and should be addressed. This seems to be falling on deaf ears at the T$$AA.

I disagree...the majority of the teams that travel out of state to play regular season games "chose" to do so. There's not a single team in the 5A/6A playoffs that won't have at least one team meal(if not two) provided by boosters...and over 80% percent will have their transportation chartered. The same holds true for those in the 3A/4A playoff brackets...and at least 30% of the 1A/2A...the reason it is less in these classes is NOT due to budgets...the games are simply closer to their schools..case in point...Dresden at McKenzie in 2A. Don't confuse "school funds" with "funds available". It's in nearly every community that has a team playing in November. If you look at my Coacht ID...you might notice that I have a little experience in this area. Furthermore...over the last 10 years...no team has traveled more often than the team that I am responsible for their "supplemental budget"...not to mention the collegues I have in other communities who share the same responsibility that have shared with me their experiences. Travel is not an issue. Team meals are not an issue. Fan travel is not an issue.

Travel is not an issue. Team meals are not an issue. Fan travel is not an issue.

You are preaching to the choir. As someone who has ridden charter buses from Murfreesboro to Kingsport, Oak Ridge, Sevier County and west to Cordova and all points in between since 1994 and now 'graduated' to riding in the truck pulling the team's equipment trailer I agree with you.

What I was saying is that travel WAS and IS the reason/excuse used in implementing our current system.

Got to the DNJ.com and read Kreagers article under the sports tab. choose high school sports and you will be able to find it. He brings up a good point. Coffee Co makes it in under the old system and a good 7-3 team from Siegel gets left out. He also mentions some tweaks that would help. Hogan you would like one of them.

Good article..I like all the changes suggested...very common sense approach :thumb:

I disagree...the majority of the teams that travel out of state to play regular season games "chose" to do so. There's not a single team in the 5A/6A playoffs that won't have at least one team meal(if not two) provided by boosters...and over 80% percent will have their transportation chartered. The same holds true for those in the 3A/4A playoff brackets...and at least 30% of the 1A/2A...the reason it is less in these classes is NOT due to budgets...the games are simply closer to their schools..case in point...Dresden at McKenzie in 2A. Don't confuse "school funds" with "funds available". It's in nearly every community that has a team playing in November. If you look at my Coacht ID...you might notice that I have a little experience in this area. Furthermore...over the last 10 years...no team has traveled more often than the team that I am responsible for their "supplemental budget"...not to mention the collegues I have in other communities who share the same responsibility that have shared with me their experiences. Travel is not an issue. Team meals are not an issue. Fan travel is not an issue.

Then you are obviously are not talking to the correct teams, coaches and fans. So i guess it is not an issue then if you say so. And yes my team had to schedule out of state due scheduling problems. We didnt have a complete schedule until late in the summer. NOT SPRING BUT SUMMER. Oakland had the same issue. But its not an issue.

Then you are obviously are not talking to the correct teams, coaches and fans. So i guess it is not an issue then if you say so. And yes my team had to schedule out of state due scheduling problems. We didnt have a complete schedule until late in the summer. NOT SPRING BUT SUMMER. Oakland had the same issue. But its not an issue.

Scheduling is a major issue when you got a playoff system based on overall wins and loses. But, the Bartlett/ Craigmont case shows how broke this system is when head to head is not a major determining factor who advances.