Smyrna @ Franklin

milo118

What about the bogus pass interference call against Franklin on 4th and goal with 40 seconds left that would have ended the game? And the deal with the overtime period was as follows. Franklin won the coin toss and deferred. The Smyrna captain then stated they wanted to go towards this endzone. That's why Franklin had the option to pick ball or defense in the second ot. Both teams got the ball. Smyrna kicked a fg and Franklin scored a td. Ball game. Get over it.

• Upvote 2

I would be really upset if I were a Smyrna fan last night after hearing how this one ended. Officials that don't even know the rules calling a playoff game. That is hard way to go out. No team deserves to lose in that way. Its hard for me to imagine that officials that have called games all year do not know that you take turns getting your choice of the ball or defense at the start of each overtime. The team that wins a coin toss doesn't get the choice every overtime. What a joke of officials. I hear officials huddled for several minutes discussing this but evidently none of them knew the rules. Maybe Franklins coaches should have shown some class and helped the officials out instead of letting what they knew was a wrong stay that way. What are we teaching our kids these days. In the end, its all on the officials and the poor job done by the tssaa in getting these officials ready to call games. Not trying to make anybody bad by making this post, its just not right to go out like this.

I agree 100%! It is sad when the fans know more about the rules then the officials. My point TSSAA could remove these officials from the playoffs. Not like all the fans were not yelling at the officials, telling them and like we do not know the rules, our 5th overtime game of the year. Yes, Franklin played a great game and congrats to them on the win but to loose because the rules were not followed is crazy. Not to say we would of won had the rules been followed but the kids did deserve the chance to finish the game with a correct chance by the rules. I am sure the Franklin coach knew the rules surely the fans do not know more then the coaches, and to put winning above teaching the young men to do the right thing is a tastless show of class. SORRY just how I feel, I am sure that is why not many people from Smyrna have come on here and congratulated Franklin we feel cheated at least to have played by the rules. Yes Frankilin sent their defense on the field to start the second overtime and this is when the Smyrna coaches and fans became upset. As a matter of fact I think we played then a double overtime game in the first meeting so yes they knew the rules!!!! My understanding these officials were from the Memphis area!!!!

Like I said CONGRATS TO FRANKLIN your QB played a GREAT GAME!!!!

Tell your coaching staff to decline the non existing pass interference call that should have ended the game. Great effort by both teams but you coaching staff were very bad sports. One coach getting arrested or almost arrested and the other putting his hands on an official. And you wanna talk about class?? Funny

• Upvote 1

Tell your coaching staff to decline the non existing pass interference call that should have ended the game. Great effort by both teams but you coaching staff were very bad sports. One coach getting arrested or almost arrested and the other putting his hands on an official. And you wanna talk about class?? Funny

I am sure your coach would of been upset to if he would of lost due to officials that did not know the rules! and yes there was interference. You can not run over the receiver going for the ball! DUHHHHH

I would be really upset if I were a Smyrna fan last night after hearing how this one ended. Officials that don't even know the rules calling a playoff game. That is hard way to go out. No team deserves to lose in that way. Its hard for me to imagine that officials that have called games all year do not know that you take turns getting your choice of the ball or defense at the start of each overtime. The team that wins a coin toss doesn't get the choice every overtime. What a joke of officials. I hear officials huddled for several minutes discussing this but evidently none of them knew the rules. Maybe Franklins coaches should have shown some class and helped the officials out instead of letting what they knew was a wrong stay that way. What are we teaching our kids these days. In the end, its all on the officials and the poor job done by the tssaa in getting these officials ready to call games. Not trying to make anybody bad by making this post, its just not right to go out like this.

I hear the ref blocked the extra point that led to overtime, shameful! :popcorneater:

That's funny because Smyrna didn't lose because of officiating. Franklin beat y'all. Shoulda scored a td instead of having to settle for 3.. And no one touched the Smyrna wr until after he touched the ball. Watch the film. Anyways, better luck next year. Great game by two well coached and very good teams. Better luck next year for the dawgs.

The problem here is not following the rules. We all know that their are judgement calls in every game (holding penalties, pass interference, etc.) that are bad calls. However this was a crew of people not knowing the rules when its their job to know the rules. I don't think anybody on here is saying Franklin didn't deserve to win or shouldn't have won, however, Smyrna did not deserve to lose because officials do not know the rules of the game they are there to officiate. If Franklin or any team was put in the same situation as Smyrna was last night in overtime and they end up losing the game, they would have a hard time accepting it.

What about the bogus pass interference call against Franklin on 4th and goal with 40 seconds left that would have ended the game? And the deal with the overtime period was as follows. Franklin won the coin toss and deferred. The Smyrna captain then stated they wanted to go towards this endzone. That's why Franklin had the option to pick ball or defense in the second ot. Both teams got the ball. Smyrna kicked a fg and Franklin scored a td. Ball game. Get over it.

Sounds like some sore losers. I like that you point out the correct rules the officals followed. Sounds like they should be upset with their own coaches for not having their kids ready to make the right call once the Franklin captin messed up. I like how they want to say the officals must have been from Memphis.

I was told that Franklins captain messed up after they won the ot toss and deferred. Smyrnas captain then messed up and said we wanna go this way pointing towards the south endzone. Thus putting Franklin on D and giving them the option of playing D or O at the beginning of the second OT

Well there is no defer call in the overtime toss. Winner chooses offense Defense or end of field. And the announcer clearly stated Franklin won the toss and has elected to go on defense. Think you can not have a deferred call because there may not be a second overtime. They would not get their choice in both overtimes no matter what!

Edited by BullyDog

I was told that Franklins captain messed up after they won the ot toss and deferred. Smyrnas captain then messed up and said we wanna go this way pointing towards the south endzone. Thus putting Franklin on D and giving them the option of playing D or O at the beginning of the second OT

Again....going to the point of the refs not knowing the rules. You cannot have a defer choice in OT. You either choose to go on offense or defense, then the team that lost the toss chooses the end of the field....roles are reversed for each overtime period. If the refs allowed a team to "defer" they clearly did not know the rules which is what upset the Smyrna folks. Didn't see the game, just what I read in the paper and here, but this is not acceptable from a playoff officiating crew.