Smyrna @ Franklin

milo118

Did the officials screw up overtime? Yes. Did it cost Smyrna the game? No. The officiating was questionable all night, with controversial calls going both ways in crucial situations (see pass interference call on 4th and goal). The fact is Smyrna had the chance to win the game in regulation, the first OT, and the second OT. Heck, all they had to do was make an extra point. Franklin bounced back from a controversial call that went against them by blocking a kick. When Smyrna was given the wrong call in the second overtime, they still had a chance to score and a chance to stop the Rebels. They didn't do it, they lost, game over. Let's not let all this talk over the officials overshadow what was one of the best high school football games I have seen in a long time. These two great football teams left their hearts out there on the field, let's celebrate their effort and not focus on an officiating mistake.

Did you even read my 'argument'? If Franklin takes the ball first in the second overtime and scores a touchdown, which they did, then Smyrna KNOWS a field goal does them no good and they would have tried to score a matching touchdown - the very reason the overtime rules are written the way they are. Who knows, they may have missed the extra point and lost anyway. My complaint is that the lack of knowing a fundamental rule cost Franklin and Smyrna fans a chance to see how the second overtime would have turned out if done correctly. My real concern is if a crew doesn't know that basic rule, what else do they no know? I have a hunch if the shoe was on the other foot Franklin fans may agree with me.

TSSAA game official admits error in two-overtime game

not that it does any one any good. Not a fan of either team but Franklin got a huge tactical advantage from this screw up.

Not that this matters either, but being the person of lacking character Clayton is known to be, it is sad that he knew there was a problem, just as Williams did, but did not speak up. As the head coach, he should have and could have spoken up as well. Typical Franklin, typical Clayton. Not that it would have changed the outcome at all. Just another nail in the coffin of Franklin High School's dead integrity.

Smyrna u got lucky u lost to Franklin causes we were going to do something far worse to ya

Was hoping to pay ya back for last years gm We played awful and was going to show ya the true Tiga s this year. oh well ya can come down to tha Haven and watch us beat another rutherford team down.

Jus Sayin Respect Da Haven

Huh?

Smyrna u got lucky u lost to Franklin causes we were going to do something far worse to ya

Was hoping to pay ya back for last years gm We played awful and was going to show ya the true Tiga s this year. oh well ya can come down to tha Haven and watch us beat another rutherford team down.

Get thru your quad, beat quad 3 in the semi-finals and somebody MIGHT respect you then. AND YOU COULDN'T BEAT RUTHERFORD COUNTY LAST YEAR!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Have you ever had a pork chop between two pieces of white bread? :hungry:

naw da haven gad lucky! and are deese da same tru tigers dat try 2 intimidate by runing thru da othuur teams warm ups and provoken fights between plays?

and first you should beat a rutherford cty ream before ya talk smack about beating down another one!

jus sayin 2 dA hAVEN

Did you even read my 'argument'? If Franklin takes the ball first in the second overtime and scores a touchdown, which they did, then Smyrna KNOWS a field goal does them no good and they would have tried to score a matching touchdown - the very reason the overtime rules are written the way they are. Who knows, they may have missed the extra point and lost anyway. My complaint is that the lack of knowing a fundamental rule cost Franklin and Smyrna fans a chance to see how the second overtime would have turned out if done correctly. My real concern is if a crew doesn't know that basic rule, what else do they no know? I have a hunch if the shoe was on the other foot Franklin fans may agree with me.

So Smyrna didn't try to score a touchdown? That would have ended all arguments. But I agree, the refs screwed up, but they make alot of mistakes in any given game. My old ball coach always said to never leave the outcome inthe hands of the officials.

What was disgraceful was the scene of the Smyrna coach accosting the officials as they left the field. That's what's hard to explain to young kids.

So Smyrna didn't try to score a touchdown? That would have ended all arguments. But I agree, the refs screwed up, but they make alot of mistakes in any given game. My old ball coach always said to never leave the outcome inthe hands of the officials.

What was disgraceful was the scene of the Smyrna coach accosting the officials as they left the field. That's what's hard to explain to young kids.

the smyrna coach was thanking the officials for calling such a great game! the smyrna coachs knows by playing in 5 ot games this year that not all of the t$$aa officials dont always know the rules

the smyrna coach was thanking the officials for calling such a great game! the smyrna coachs knows by playing in 5 ot games this year that not all of the t$$aa officials dont always know the rules

Good one. I hate that most of the conversation has been about officials screwing up and not about two good teams fighting it out again.