Blackman vs Farragut

blazeburnin

Great effort by both teams, it was a hard fought game.

The season ended much like it began for the Admirals. This game was very reminiscent of the Dobyns-Bennett game – one Farragut turnover deep in the opponent’s territory, and back-to-back Farragut turnovers in their own territory. Minus 3 in turnover margin is a tough hill to climb against a good team.

What a great job by young Mr. Phillips at QB.

I was really pleased someone woke up and got Jetton some snaps at receiver. He had a MONSTER game (5 receptions for over 80 yards – 2 critical 3rd down conversions which kept scoring drives alive – and an excellent job of downfield blocking, especially on Johnson’s long run, which set up another TD). Why it took so long to get this kid on the field in some kind of capacity as a receiver, I will never understand. In my opinion, he should have been targeted as soon as Madison Brown got hurt; it is impossible to overlook his talent. The sky is the limit for this kid.

Anyway, I know one thing for sure. I guess it won’t cause any harm if I continue to make a few suggestions in the future.

Thank you to a great group of Seniors. I really enjoyed watching you play.

I believe Farragut will be much better next year. It think it was obvious that Phillips is a much better QB that #4 and having a passing game along with the the returning OL to keep and improve the running game will give them a good chance to challenge for the district. Billy Williams & Jetton with a year under their belt, and having a QB that can pass, will significantly improve the offense. They need another back to go along with Frain and some defense replacements.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CONGRATS ON YOUR BIG WIN!!!! I think if you put together a complete game, pass like you did on Riverdale and run like you did on Farragut you could beat anybody!!! But 1 GAME AT A TIME GO BLAZE

Agreed...but it is a 2-edged sword. We haven't been very "balanced" this year. But if most people had #4, I don't think they would be very balanced either. It is a fine line. Would you rather throw it 8-10 more times and risk taking the ball out of the best player in the state's hands all in the name of being balanced. They threw when they had to against the Warriors the last time, but who knows what will happen this week. Is throwing the best way to beat them with them selling out to stop him? Glad I don't have to balance those things and can just post randomness on message boards. :hungry:

Agreed...but it is a 2-edged sword. We haven't been very "balanced" this year. But if most people had #4, I don't think they would be very balanced either. It is a fine line. Would you rather throw it 8-10 more times and risk taking the ball out of the best player in the state's hands all in the name of being balanced...

I couldn't agree with you more. With a back as special as that, you can still be "balanced"...

you just run him left, right, and up the middle. He will take care of the big plays. He will have some 1 and 2 yard runs, of course, but they will eventually be followed by 60 and 80 yard runs.

Edited by Former44

I believe Farragut will be much better next year. It think it was obvious that Phillips is a much better QB that #4 and having a passing game along with the the returning OL to keep and improve the running game will give them a good chance to challenge for the district. Billy Williams & Jetton with a year under their belt, and having a QB that can pass, will significantly improve the offense. They need another back to go along with Frain and some defense replacements.

I agree. Whitney and Wrinkle will be tough to replace on defense; they just kept getting better every week. They lose a couple of good linebackers, but they also have some really good ones returning. Johnson will be missed at DB - I think he is going to make someone a quality FS in college.

O-line could be outstanding. I heard someone say Dockery started the season while still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery; I believe he will be be one of the best in the state with a full offseason in the weightroom. Doucette could go down as one of the best Centers ever at Farragut (I would have to put Bart Snyder up there as well).

It would be nice to have a home run hitter in the backfield that can also make that first guy miss, but a physical back that can bring it and also pass block would be nice as well.

I got to thinking about how good this 2011 team could have been with players like Callahan, Boyd, Haynes, Landguth, Hannay, etc. I know you have to play with what you got... it was just a thought. Hopefully, Farragut can build that kind of depth in 2012.

Losing Boyd, Callahan, and Haynes really put this defense behind the 8 ball all year, they had no depth on the DL at all. Couple that with Whitney playing both ways made it very hard to play fresh in the second half. While 2 of the 3 LBs were competitors they were overmatched all year.

My heart goes out to #4, he's done so much for the program that it really hurts to see him finish his career on the bench. However, I don't disagree with Sweetland's decision to replace him. He never truly returned to the player he was prior to the knee injury.

I give Blackman alot of credit for the way the game went Friday night. They are maybe the most physical team I've seen all year. I had watched some Youtube of Mathers prior to the game, and wasn't overly impressed. Seeing him in person changed my opinion, especially knowing he wasn't 100%. Saw him go to the bench several times in pain only to return and chew up yardage. The Blackman folks I met were curtious and complementary of the Farragut team and showed good class.