Rumors of the next Gibson County football coach

greenmonster1990

Medina.... I can tell you just moved to West TN as you have no clue about Gibson Co. football. Gibson Co. has had a "fresh face" running the football program several times including one of the best coaches in the state of Tennessee, Coach John Tucker. Even he lost at Gibson Co. I'm telling you man, Gibson has struggled with every coach within the past 20 years. Whether it be Coach Dyer, Coach Argo, Coach Haye, Coach Tucker, Coach Duncan, Coach Atkins or whoever, Gibson has year in and year out struggled in football. Ask your coaches in Medina, they'll tell you. Some of them have played for Gibson and your AD even coached at Gibson as an assistant several years ago. With all of this being said, the coaches coaching ability isn't necessarily the issue. The issue is that the athletes need to be playing football if Gibson wants to ever win. I've said it before and I will continue saying it. There's no way we win without our skilled quick athletes playing football. Now, if the athletes that I'm talking about start playing football and Gibson drops to 2A, we could definately be a playoff team year in and year out with the right system.

Oh yea, and never once have I whined. I've stated true facts for the possible incoming coach to really look into.

Edited by GCPioneer

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Scott was not the bad coach that everyone in Trenton made him out to be. During the season, people were bashing on him hard saying he made coaching mistakes etc.... I wonder to myself sometimes if people just can't accept the fact that talent at schools like Peabody come and go. Peabody has had a couple of bad years thus resulting in Scott resigning, but what they fail to realize is that he also lead them to the state semi's a few years ago after beating a really good Milan team in the quarterfinals. With that being said, Coach Scott was not a bad coach as some over in Trenton made him out to be. As for Coach Scott and Gibson, I wouldn't complain a bit, however I'm not sure that after the bashing that he took from Peabody from the fans over the past 2 years, he'd really want to come coach at Gibson Co. He's a good coach, but I don't see him at Gibson.

Edited by GCPioneer

Medina.... I can tell you just moved to West TN as you have no clue about Gibson Co. football. Gibson Co. has had a "fresh face" running the football program several times including one of the best coaches in the state of Tennessee, Coach John Tucker. Even he lost at Gibson Co. I'm telling you man, Gibson has struggled with every coach within the past 20 years. Whether it be Coach Dyer, Coach Argo, Coach Haye, Coach Tucker, Coach Duncan, Coach Atkins or whoever, Gibson has year in and year out struggled in football. Ask your coaches in Medina, they'll tell you. Some of them have played for Gibson and your AD even coached at Gibson as an assistant several years ago. With all of this being said, the coaches coaching ability isn't necessarily the issue. The issue is that the athletes need to be playing football if Gibson wants to ever win. I've said it before and I will continue saying it. There's no way we win without our skilled quick athletes playing football. Now, if the athletes that I'm talking about start playing football and Gibson drops to 2A, we could definately be a playoff team year in and year out with the right system.

Oh yea, and never once have I whined. I've stated true facts for the possible incoming coach to really look into.

Let me ask you a question. What kind of support does the football program get from a.) the administration and b.) the community? Are the facilities up to par with the rest of the region?

Let me ask you a question. What kind of support does the football program get from a.) the administration and b.) the community? Are the facilities up to par with the rest of the region?

Most of the men who have coached at GC have been successful at other places. Coach Tucker is the winningest public school football coach in Tennessee, 3rd best overall. HE COULD NOT WIN AT GC and got out quick. The biggest lie that young coaches tell themselves: "I'm capable of doing what no one else has done by outworking and out coaching my opponents." That is a little conceited because the men you will be coaching against are some of the best in the state and they are five deep with better athletes than you have in your program. you may think that's loser talk but those are the facts. I'm sure a good coach can make improvements to a place like GC. Look at Dresden and see just how far a program can progress in five years. But your presumption is not accurate. I would suggest that until you find talent equal to South, Milan, Westview, Dyersburg, Covington, Ripley, you can't compete year in and year out.

Most of the men who have coached at GC have been successful at other places. Coach Tucker is the winningest public school football coach in Tennessee, 3rd best overall. HE COULD NOT WIN AT GC and got out quick. The biggest lie that young coaches tell themselves: "I'm capable of doing what no one else has done by outworking and out coaching my opponents." That is a little conceited because the men you will be coaching against are some of the best in the state and they are five deep with better athletes than you have in your program. you may think that's loser talk but those are the facts. I'm sure a good coach can make improvements to a place like GC. Look at Dresden and see just how far a program can progress in five years. But your presumption is not accurate. I would suggest that until you find talent equal to South, Milan, Westview, Dyersburg, Covington, Ripley, you can't compete year in and year out.

Thank you! Exactly what I've been saying this whole time.

As for our facilities... they're definately up to date. The inside of our field house is actually pretty nice. The weight room, I'll put up against any of the AA schools around out here. Our facilities are not the problem. We also have a booster club that bought the coaches a $2300 set of head sets. That was from BOOSTER CLUB ONLY. The booster club also helps out in other ways as well, but the head sets were a big spend for the booster club. The administration doesn't exactly help GC football all that much. GC football does have a budget like all schools, which I'm not sure what the budget actually is, but I think the administration does what it has to do in order to support the football program. Depending on who the administration hires will really dictate whether they really care if the football program succeeds. I'm guessing a decision will be made within the first month that school is back after the first of the year. Spring football will be around the corner.

So i am hearing there is no talent base in gibson county territory, and the little talent that is there wont play football because they have always sucked? Also the winningst coach got out quick because he couldnt win there? If he is the winningest coach, why did he leave so quick? Obviously, this is not a quick turnaround type of program. And from what im hearing has good facilities and community support, why leave so quick?

So i am hearing there is no talent base in gibson county territory, and the little talent that is there wont play football because they have always sucked? Also the winningst coach got out quick because he couldnt win there? If he is the winningest coach, why did he leave so quick? Obviously, this is not a quick turnaround type of program. And from what im hearing has good facilities and community support, why leave so quick?

The name 'Gibson County' is deceptive. GCHS isn't a county school district. There are six high schools in the county and four are independent from GC special school district. All of the city schools have the population base including the section Eight housing. GCHS is a rural vocational high school on the North end of the county. They excel in girl's basketball but no boys sports have succeeded in decades. They play against city programs like Milan, Martin, Dyersburg, Covington and simply do not have the talent level or depth to sustain four quarters of football. There are other programs around the state like GC. What GCPioneer understands that you probably don't is that up until three years ago, GCHS and South Gibson HS were one in the same. They built the new school about the same time that the T$$AA reclassified. GCHS was placed into 3A based on the combined numbers leaving them at a huge disadvantage. No one is saying they can't compete but as long as they remain in the classification they are in there is no way they can be competitive. After the 2012 season they may drop down in classification depending on what the T$$AA does this summer.

• 2 weeks later...