McCallie at MUS

oldwiseone

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than Ensworth there are no common opponents for McCallie and MUS. I am sure MUS is the prohibitive favorite in this game, but am interested in an overview of MUS from anyone who has seen them play.

MUS has a well-balanced team. They usually run a "spread" offense. Although you can't tell it from the "stats," they have some weakness in the passing game, due to a lack of "hands" and an erratic QB. They have only one good (great) receiver, but he is a special talent and only a SOPH, Devin Perry (6-1, 165). The RBs pretty much catch the rest of the passes. The QB, SR Toby Baker (6-3, 185),is very capable BUT can be inconsistent throwing the ball AND makes too many bad decisions, such as throwing into coverage, especially when he gets frustrated over his well-thrown passes not being caught. He was better last year, when he was a Mr. Football finalist. However, as a punter he is outstanding, as is the kicker Gary Wunderlich, another SOPH. The OL, anchored by SRs Ben Still (6-3, 280), Britt Colcolough (6-5, 305) and Ben Benton (6-5, 280) is HUGE but a little slow. They do create some running room for 3 very good RBs. SR Carlton McCord (6-1, 180), used more as a receiver, is very athletic, quick and evasive. JRs Shane Tucker (6-0, 210) and Fernando Van Hook (6-0, 170) both have a blend of power and speed, Tucker more power, Van Hook more speed. If Tucker gets some running room, he is hard to stop. The DEFENSE is a not big but quick and cohesive - really no "stars" but a lot of good players. The line is anchored by SRs Will Hergenrader (6-0, 220) & Nick Vergos (6-4, 260), the LBs by SR Heath Wilder (6-0, 200) JR Peyton Klawinski (5-10, 210) and SOPH James Prather (6-4, 220). SR Alex Dale (5-10, 180), a Cincinnati signee, is the best DB, and a key to a somewhat inexperienced secondary.

MUS' backup QB JR Jordan Rodgers is a great talent BUT out for the year with an injury. Had he been healthy, he might have become the starter and certainly would have played a lot. If Baker gets injured or is playing poorly, advantage shifts to the opponent, as his current backup (Bennett) is inexperienced. As is the case in every game, TOs can turn a game around, and MUS has been more prone to TOs this year since I don't know when. In other words, McCallie CAN win this game but MUS at the least probably has too many "players" (few if any play "both ways") and will wear McCallie down. But then, I haven't seen McCallie play this year. I saw them beat Briarcrest here in OT last year, and all I remember is the RB McClure doing much of the "damage." Perhaps you can give me a "look" at your team in return.

Compared to MUS who has 6 seniors listed as potential D1 recruits, McCallie is lacking in star power.

Their offense is the triple option with Daniel McClure (#24) and Samir Usman (#1) getting the bulk of the carries. McClure is a fire plug who stays low and keeps his legs moving carrying right up the middle. He gets lost among the OL and DL sometimes and is a really hard-nosed and determined runner. He has had a lot of success this year even though you know he is going to get the ball. Usman is the pitch man and has really good skills. Like McClure he is not real big but sees the field well and has good speed. Trent Lusk (#4) is the QB and he is a big kid with a decent arm. He is a threat to run but is not fast enough to do well against teams with good speed on defense. Because of his size he can pick up a few yards when needed. McCallie's passing game is not very developed. They have had a few big plays (including the game winner last week), but it is inconsistent at best. It is used just enough to keep the other team honest.

As for their defense, it is a group that relies on the team as their are no dominating players. They pursue really well and have gotten better at pass coverage although the CB's still play off a little more than I would like. Chad Toliver (#3) and Hayden Cronen (#17 and Jalen Kellum (#6) are all defensive players to watch.

Looking at the OL of MUS it is hard to believe how big the kids are. McCallie has one lineman with close to that kind of size in Tye Youngblood (#78).

Finally, Toliver is a scary good return man and Arturo Rocha is a decent kicker although his confidence is a little down right now. Hopefully he has put the last second missed field goal attempt against MBA out of his mind.

Very objective and pretty much right on the money. The Blue is typically undersized but a very scrappy bunch and can be very determined and effective if they remain disciplined. #24 is a very slippery runner and is very difficult to bring down. QB has a decent arm although we don't see much of it, but when we do it has been critical. Ball protection is a huge key for us, one where we have struggled. We will most definitely need to establish the running game, protect the ball, and complete our assignments. We must execute and play mistake free football.

It will be a long trip over, hopefully it will not throw the Blue for a loop!

As always, my never-ending support! Go Big Blue! Thanks to Coach Carpenter for the tweet updates last week and forcing me into another social networking avenue!!

The McCallie buses just pulled out of campus heading west with a rousing bon voyage party. Understand the weatherperson is predicting tornadic activity tomorrow evening in the Memphis area at kickoff time!

A big shout out to MUS for the video stream planned for the game! Although I will monitor this tweety thing...

McCallie - 27

MUS - 24

I think McCallie has a really good shot at winning this game. To me the issue will be the travel, how will that drive wear on the team?

An experienced coach will have that issue figured out and have his team ready to go.

Prediction: The Blue Tornado comes home with the W.

McCallie - 27

MUS - 17

Since the team traveled to Memphis on Thursday, I doubt the "travel" should be an issue.

Edited by owlbooster

The McCallie buses just pulled out of campus heading west with a rousing bon voyage party. Understand the weatherperson is predicting tornadic activity tomorrow evening in the Memphis area at kickoff time!

A big shout out to MUS for the video stream planned for the game! Although I will monitor this tweety thing...

McCallie - 27

MUS - 24

Those who choose to watch the "video" will find that MUS broadcasts are of superb quality.

Those who choose to watch the "video" will find that MUS broadcasts are of superb quality.

I personally am not sure MUS is video broadcasting the game. It's not listed on their website or on the TSSAA website. Maybe Bluemom can enlighten us. I'm pretty sure they did broadcast the quarterfinal game with BA last year.

Edited by owlbooster