MBA vs Baylor

MBARED

MBA travels to Baylor this Friday to take on the Red Raiders. MBA has won 5 of our last 6 games and are playing good football now. Baylor is just a tremendous team in all aspects. I will be there rooting on MBA. I always enjoy my visit to Baylor's beautiful campus. Thoughts and opinions on the game?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having seen both teams play I have to give the edge to B. While MBA is playing better football lately, B has been consistently good all year and with the game being held on the beautiful campus behind the Walmart (sorry, had to) I say B 31 MBA 17. If MBA plays their game of the year.......they may have a small chance of pulling off the upset.

Personally, I think this is one our best spots on the bracket for an upset. MBA might be getting it together. Question, during the playoffs, do they bring officials in from another city or are they local? Does TSSAA change things for the playoffs?

They bring in officials from another area unless both teams are from the same area so the so called "Home Cooking" should not be a factor in any playoff games. Officials are selected by the supervisor. I do not know if the do it by crews or by position like they used to do. The problem with selecting by positions is that you may have a crew that may have never work together which is critical for key games.

MBA travels to Baylor this Friday to take on the Red Raiders. MBA has won 5 of our last 6 games and are playing good football now. Baylor is just a tremendous team in all aspects. I will be there rooting on MBA. I always enjoy my visit to Baylor's beautiful campus. Thoughts and opinions on the game?

Sounds like MBA is a team that is improving weekly. But Baylor has been very strong all year. I would say Baylor wins by 7. I also agree with what you said. I have not been on their campus in a couple of years but it is hands down the prettiest campus I have ever seen. Good luck to all.

They bring in officials from another area unless both teams are from the same area so the so called "Home Cooking" should not be a factor in any playoff games. Officials are selected by the supervisor. I do not know if the do it by crews or by position like they used to do. The problem with selecting by positions is that you may have a crew that may have never work together which is critical for key games.

If it is like it is doing the regular season then MBA doesn't stand a chance. I have never seen such bad officials during last year's game and they said same was true this year for the Ensworth game.

If it is like it is doing the regular season then MBA doesn't stand a chance. I have never seen such bad officials during last year's game and they said same was true this year for the Ensworth game.

Not sure if I am understanding or not...because are you saying the ref's have had it out for MBA?

Just alot of sour grapes if you ask me. This always sounds childish. Any team that can make that claim if that want especially when they are out of town....blame the refs. Just play the game and the rest takes care of itself. Good and bad officials are everywhere and in every town. Again, just play the game...good grief.

From my experience, I wonder if there are any good officials in Chattanooga. Glad to see they're going to import some.

From a former high school and division 1 collegiate official, I tend to find that most teams that get beat want to find a reason to blame for the loss. They don't want to blame their kids (naturally) and they don't want to blame the coach that would not be supportive of the program. Who else do you blame? The Officials!

I too have seen bad calls made in Chattanooga, and in Nashville and many other cities. Just like any job, you have some people with more experience than others. If you watch many Pro and Collegiate games, the officials have the benefit of instant replay and there are still a lot of calls where there is still a difference of opinion on what was the right call. These men and now women have to make a split second decision and do not get the benefit of instant replay. You are also dealing with only 5 Officials in high school on the field versus 7 for college and pros. That is due to budgetary reasons. What that means is there are fewer officials to cover more territory and guess what some calls are going to get missed.

It is the job of district supervisor, who are usually some of the best officials in the country and are usually current or former professional or collegiate officials, to build crews that incorporates all the experience levels of the association. I have rarely seen an official effect the outcome of the game. For all the people that complain about the officiating, they should first learn the rules of the game and then learn the philosophy of the association because it varies from city to city and state to state. I for example find the Nashville association is much more lenient on holding calls than the Chattanooga association. I find most people that complain about officiating don't know the rules and there for make a bad interpretation of the rules. What most people don't realize is that the rules are different on every level (high school, college and pro), and they take what they see on Saturday and Sunday and try to apply it to the same rules to Friday Nights.

I promise you, that if MBA gets beat on Friday night it will not be because of the officiating. It may make you feel better by blaming it on the officials but that will not be the case. From my understanding of your results this year, MBA has not lost a game due to Chattanooga officiating. I guess the officiating must be bad in Nashville also!

I have to agree with slowrunner. It is very easy to blame officials...you don't have to look at them across the dinner table, you don't have to examine closely what the team/coaches may/may not have don't right in the game, missed opportunities...

As to the Chattanooga association, they are a fairly strong association with lots of strong officials. Their grading supervisors are all very experienced and currently serve in the ACC and SEC and oh yeah, that little thing call the NFL. Each crew is graded twice during the regular season and those grades along with how they score on a written rules test determine if they are submitted for a state playoff game. Apparently, we did fairly well in all those areas.... at least 6 first round games (36 officials) and 4 second round games (24 officials). Most of those positions were not repeats from the first round.

Now, does that I mean agree with everything called or not called... nope. Does that mean I don't have some spiritied discussions with BlueRef as he is taking off his stripes on Fridays.... nope. But I also have had more than one occasion to offer a little rules education to the fan in the stands. (It really makes them angry when you start the education with "Now, sweetie, your coach gets 3 choices on Friday night. The ref doesn't arbitrarily assign a choice." I was trying to be nice to the poor Ooltewah guy.)

Hope everyone has a spirited contest across the river and I will most certainly be pulling for MBA!