MBA vs Baylor

MBARED

From a former high school and division 1 collegiate official, I tend to find that most teams that get beat want to find a reason to blame for the loss. They don't want to blame their kids (naturally) and they don't want to blame the coach that would not be supportive of the program. Who else do you blame? The Officials!

I too have seen bad calls made in Chattanooga, and in Nashville and many other cities. Just like any job, you have some people with more experience than others. If you watch many Pro and Collegiate games, the officials have the benefit of instant replay and there are still a lot of calls where there is still a difference of opinion on what was the right call. These men and now women have to make a split second decision and do not get the benefit of instant replay. You are also dealing with only 5 Officials in high school on the field versus 7 for college and pros. That is due to budgetary reasons. What that means is there are fewer officials to cover more territory and guess what some calls are going to get missed.

It is the job of district supervisor, who are usually some of the best officials in the country and are usually current or former professional or collegiate officials, to build crews that incorporates all the experience levels of the association. I have rarely seen an official effect the outcome of the game. For all the people that complain about the officiating, they should first learn the rules of the game and then learn the philosophy of the association because it varies from city to city and state to state. I for example find the Nashville association is much more lenient on holding calls than the Chattanooga association. I find most people that complain about officiating don't know the rules and there for make a bad interpretation of the rules. What most people don't realize is that the rules are different on every level (high school, college and pro), and they take what they see on Saturday and Sunday and try to apply it to the same rules to Friday Nights.

I promise you, that if MBA gets beat on Friday night it will not be because of the officiating. It may make you feel better by blaming it on the officials but that will not be the case. From my understanding of your results this year, MBA has not lost a game due to Chattanooga officiating. I guess the officiating must be bad in Nashville also!

Very well stated and while I am very quick to voice my displeasure when calls go against my Blue Tornado, being a football official is not my idea of a fun Friday night. Thanks for the viewpoint.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with slowrunner. It is very easy to blame officials...you don't have to look at them across the dinner table, you don't have to examine closely what the team/coaches may/may not have don't right in the game, missed opportunities...

As to the Chattanooga association, they are a fairly strong association with lots of strong officials. Their grading supervisors are all very experienced and currently serve in the ACC and SEC and oh yeah, that little thing call the NFL. Each crew is graded twice during the regular season and those grades along with how they score on a written rules test determine if they are submitted for a state playoff game. Apparently, we did fairly well in all those areas.... at least 6 first round games (36 officials) and 4 second round games (24 officials). Most of those positions were not repeats from the first round.

Now, does that I mean agree with everything called or not called... nope. Does that mean I don't have some spiritied discussions with BlueRef as he is taking off his stripes on Fridays.... nope. But I also have had more than one occasion to offer a little rules education to the fan in the stands. (It really makes them angry when you start the education with "Now, sweetie, your coach gets 3 choices on Friday night. The ref doesn't arbitrarily assign a choice." I was trying to be nice to the poor Ooltewah guy.)

Hope everyone has a spirited contest across the river and I will most certainly be pulling for MBA!

Bluemom, Thanks for your support of all the Zebras that work so hard on Friday night.

I don't blame you for pulling for MBA, I know it would be devastating for the Big Blue to lose to the Red Raiders 5 times in 3 years. Good Luck in Memphis. I am hoping to see you in Cookville.

From a former high school and division 1 collegiate official, I tend to find that most teams that get beat want to find a reason to blame for the loss. They don't want to blame their kids (naturally) and they don't want to blame the coach that would not be supportive of the program. Who else do you blame? The Officials!

I too have seen bad calls made in Chattanooga, and in Nashville and many other cities. Just like any job, you have some people with more experience than others. If you watch many Pro and Collegiate games, the officials have the benefit of instant replay and there are still a lot of calls where there is still a difference of opinion on what was the right call. These men and now women have to make a split second decision and do not get the benefit of instant replay. You are also dealing with only 5 Officials in high school on the field versus 7 for college and pros. That is due to budgetary reasons. What that means is there are fewer officials to cover more territory and guess what some calls are going to get missed.

It is the job of district supervisor, who are usually some of the best officials in the country and are usually current or former professional or collegiate officials, to build crews that incorporates all the experience levels of the association. I have rarely seen an official effect the outcome of the game. For all the people that complain about the officiating, they should first learn the rules of the game and then learn the philosophy of the association because it varies from city to city and state to state. I for example find the Nashville association is much more lenient on holding calls than the Chattanooga association. I find most people that complain about officiating don't know the rules and there for make a bad interpretation of the rules. What most people don't realize is that the rules are different on every level (high school, college and pro), and they take what they see on Saturday and Sunday and try to apply it to the same rules to Friday Nights.

I promise you, that if MBA gets beat on Friday night it will not be because of the officiating. It may make you feel better by blaming it on the officials but that will not be the case. From my understanding of your results this year, MBA has not lost a game due to Chattanooga officiating. I guess the officiating must be bad in Nashville also!

In the last 30 years I have seen @300 HS football games, of which I felt bad officiating changed the outcome only 4 times, but 2 of those 4 games were in Chattanooga - the ONLY 2 games I saw there. Review of game film confirmed that the officials "blew" critical calls, especially near the end of the game, that changed the outcome. In 3 of the 4 games, including both games in Chattanooga, the calls benefited the home team. In one case, in overtime, a single ref far from the play, overruled two "in-position" refs who had made the correct call. Of course, I have seen many more bad calls that did NOT change the outcome. That's almost always the case. Usually they just "balance out." Just my personal experience. I support the refs and think they get it right 95-99% of the time. Video replay in college and pro games shows they aren't perfect. There's no recourse in HS games.

Edited by owlbooster

It should be extremely frustrating!! You guys have twice the number of boys to chose from, and you should be consistently putting a better product on the field. It says a lot about Baylor to be able to compete with the other schools in D2 when they have the lowest male enrollment of anyone in the conference. You can brag about 11 in a row all you want, but facts are facts and you can see the balance of power shifting to the BIG RED across town. I dont see a win in Mcallies future for quite some time.

Might want to check your facts on this statement. I believe BGA, BA, and Ensworth have fewer male students than Baylor.

I think redraider should have prefaced it by saying McCallie, MBA, MUS and any other all male school. Don't think he would have shot off so quickly except for the "11" comment and the hope MBA beats Baylor on a thread that has nothing to do with McCallie. Just my take.

As for things that have to do with Baylor and MBA...I am very excited about this game. MBA is playing good ball and is on a roll for sure. Baylor has had an extremely good season no doubt.

I look for nothing more than a hard fought battle. Playoffs are a new season and as we all know anything can happen. Baylor will be the favorite in this game and should win. But MBA is always a very tough game....and the way they are playing now Baylor will have to play a very good game.

With that being said...I will go with my heart and head on this game. I predict a close game....Baylor 31 MBA 24. Go Red Raiders!

I think redraider should have prefaced it by saying McCallie, MBA, MUS and any other all male school. Don't think he would have shot off so quickly except for the "11" comment and the hope MBA beats Baylor on a thread that has nothing to do with McCallie. Just my take.

As for things that have to do with Baylor and MBA...I am very excited about this game. MBA is playing good ball and is on a roll for sure. Baylor has had an extremely good season no doubt.

I look for nothing more than a hard fought battle. Playoffs are a new season and as we all know anything can happen. Baylor will be the favorite in this game and should win. But MBA is always a very tough game....and the way they are playing now Baylor will have to play a very good game.

With that being said...I will go with my heart and head on this game. I predict a close game....Baylor 31 MBA 24. Go Red Raiders!

Thanks bigred4 life for trying to get the topic back to MBA and Baylor. Not sure why McCallie is trying to bring stuff up in this thread. Anyway, yes MBA is playing good ball now. But playing Baylor will be a big task. They are strong and very athletic. It would take MBA's best effort and some help from Baylor...but it can be done. I would have to go against my heart in a prediction here...but hope that I am wrong.

Baylor 28 MBA 21. GO Big Red!

It should be extremely frustrating!! You guys have twice the number of boys to chose from, and you should be consistently putting a better product on the field. It says a lot about Baylor to be able to compete with the other schools in D2 when they have the lowest male enrollment of anyone in the conference.

Using the logic of enrollment equaling success on the football field would seem to mean the ten largest universities (az st, ohio state, central fla, minnesota, texas, florida, texas a&m, michigan state, penn state, and illinois) should be top ten football powers (or at least some of them) - and last time i checked (2 minutes ago) not one of them is ranked in the top ten and only 3 make the top 20 in BCS rankings.

Now, on to the MBA vs. B game.....I hope the red team wins.

Using the logic of enrollment equaling success on the football field would seem to mean the ten largest universities (az st, ohio state, central fla, minnesota, texas, florida, texas a&m, michigan state, penn state, and illinois) should be top ten football powers (or at least some of them) - and last time i checked (2 minutes ago) not one of them is ranked in the top ten and only 3 make the top 20 in BCS rankings.

Now, on to the MBA vs. B game.....I hope the red team wins.

I don't think that is a good analogy as all DIA schools have an equal number of scholarship athletes - 85. Intuitively, you would think a school with 600 male students would have an advantage over a school with 200 male students. However, some of the smaller enrollment schools do a great job of attracting a few top athletes to make up for the difference in numbers.

I don't think that is a good analogy as all DIA schools have an equal number of scholarship athletes - 85. Intuitively, you would think a school with 600 male students would have an advantage over a school with 200 male students. However, some of the smaller enrollment schools do a great job of attracting a few top athletes to make up for the difference in numbers.

Ya know - you're right.