EK Slaughter out at Cleveland

Yeah heard this last week. Did they expect him to build a powerhouse in 3 years? You forgot to add that 2010 they won the district title.

Wasn't something I expected. I think this team could win 7 games next year. I also thought the way the team finished this year going 5-2 would buy him atleast another year. But all of this comes back to the administration for making bad hires after forcing Coach Leon Brown out. They passed up on coaching legends Gary Rankin and Benny Monroe.

Wasn't something I expected. I think this team could win 7 games next year. I also thought the way the team finished this year going 5-2 would buy him atleast another year. But all of this comes back to the administration for making bad hires after forcing Coach Leon Brown out. They passed up on coaching legends Gary Rankin and Benny Monroe.

Personally I think the man did a fair job considering what he went into. An AD that could really care less, -$30,000 budget to work with, and a very long list of people he has to please in order to even keep the job. I have heard about 3 very good coaches who have said that they will pass on the opportunity just because of how things are ran there. My family and I are personal friends of the Slaughters and we wish them the very best. As for the rest of the boys at Cleveland, I hope someone comes in that they will respect and look up to and maybe they can turn the program around.

Edited by Bleedingblue

Wasn't something I expected.

Surely your not in the dark that much! I have heard since he was hired that he was brought here for one reason. Slaughter was brought to CHS for one purpose, by one person's influence, with the expectation that his offense would showcase one player and it didn't work out. There's no need for him anymore, and with the particular influence uninterested now,,, no motive for him to be there.

Personally I think the man did a fair job considering what he went into. An AD that could really care less, -$30,000 budget to work with, and a very long list of people he has to please in order to even keep the job. I have heard about 3 very good coaches who have said that they will pass on the opportunity just because of how things are ran there. My family and I are personal friends of the Slaughters and we wish them the very best. As for the rest of the boys at Cleveland, I hope someone comes in that they will respect and look up to and maybe they can turn the program around.

I wonder if Coach Brown would be intrested in coming back. They way Cleveland did him at the end of his time coaching was wrong, he had a winning season every year. You could expect at least a 7-3 record out of him. Made it to the quarter finals of the playoffs only to be ousted by Maryville. The reason Cleveland let him go was a 6-4 season with losses to Chatt Central(1st ever homecoming loss) and Walker Valley.

If he is intrested, he would be a great re-hire.

There is likely a lot of truth in what's been said here, but also a lot of rumor. I never envied the job coach Slaughter was expected to do as a late hire his first year, and the band of troublemakers he had to preside over at that time.

Folks who follow Raider football do expect more, and they don't have a lot of patience for program turnarounds.

Coach Slaughter is a good man, and will find success wherever he ends up from here. I wish him the best, and I urge wisdom by the powers that be in making this next hire. These kids deserve their best effort, and Coach Slaughter deserves better administrative leadership.