Proposal submitted by Siegel

Indian

Being considered in TSSAA regional meetings this week:

Proposals Concerning Students Playing Independent Basketball with Teams and Then Coaches of Independent Teams Coaching at that School.

Student will be ineligible for one calendar year regardless of bona fide change of residence, if they play independent basketball (AAU, etc) with a high school coach and then transfer to the school where that coach (faculty or non-faculty) is coaching.

TSSAA basketball coaches (faculty and non-faculty) will not be allowed to coach their own players or players from other high schools in independent basketball (AAU, etc.) during the off-season. This applies to rising 9th through 12th graders.

Rationale: We are submitting these two proposals for several reasons. We believe independent basketball is a big problem and has been for years in this state. Listed below are some examples of the problems.

Coach A is coaching players from other high schools during the spring and summer. Coach A develops a relationship with these players and in some cases some of these players decide to transfer to Coach A's school. We feel this is undue influence (whether intentional or not).

TSSAA has made statements that they do not legislate AAU and independent coaching, etc. However, TSSAA does tell Coach A that he/she cannot coach his current player during certain times and during the dead period. We feel that TSSAA should also exercise this right by also instructing coaches that they cannot coach other high school players as well.

In many cases some high school coaches are coaching a team with players from many different high schools and not coaching his/her own players during this time. This coach is in come cases giving up his/her entire summer and some of his/her spring to coach these players from schools that he/she will compete against during the regular high school season. These coaches are helping prep players that he/she will have to coach against during their high school season. We believe that many coaches are using this opportunity as a recruiting tool.

Submitted by Siegel High School

Edited by Indian

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Can the girls just play ball. Siegel lost a Great Player, but it's not the end of the world. Work with the girls you have there and build on it. Send them to the tryouts of the AAU teams that are playing the best talent in the world. These kids are working on getting to the next place!

Edited by nic

Wow! Can the girls just play ball. Siegel lost a Great Player, but it's not the end of the world. Work with the girls you have there and build on it. Send them to the tryouts of the AAU teams that are playing the best talent in the world. These kids are working on getting to the next place!

That may not be what this is all about but it might be the result of this proposal. The world is not going to come to the end if this passes or doesn't pass. Either way the girls can just play ball if they want. Read. If you go to college, you will be faced with the same thing if you transfer. Go to the tryouts of the AAU teams that are playing the best talent as you always have and let the rest take care of itself. For some reason this may be just a coach thing but I'm unsure. But you sure don't want to be known as a High school Player for hire. High school gets you to the point you can get to the next place. An education experience.

Just look around. Players got what they wanted and where they wanted in college without difficult decisions along the way.

If "these kids are working to get to another place" means to another school just to play basketball with some other players, maybe the TSSAA needs to express their reason for the rule they have. Evidently all schools don't think the reason for the rule is what you expressed. They are the ones who sign off on the rules. I could be wrong but to just transfer to play basketball on a different team is not the reason the rule was made to start with I always thought. I could be wrong.

Edited by PHargis

"We feel that TSSAA should also exercise this right by also instructing coaches that they cannot coach other high school players as well."

Submitted by Siegel High School

This will lead to a greatly reduced number of AAU travel teams and thus limit opportunities for athletes in the off season. Many high school coaches can only afford to make a living if they supplement their high school salary with their travel ball salary. Moreover, it will limit athletes ability to even recieve training in the offseason from very qualified "trainers" who happen to coach high school ball.

This is an absolutely ridiculous over-the-top "solution" for a problem that is quite rare. It may also violate laws by limiting an individual's ability to work. Coaches should be talking to their athletic directors and telling them the shut this terrible idea down.

That may not be what this is all about but it might be the result of this proposal. The world is not going to come to the end if this passes or doesn't pass. Either way the girls can just play ball if they want. Read. If you go to college, you will be faced with the same thing if you transfer. Go to the tryouts of the AAU teams that are playing the best talent as you always have and let the rest take care of itself. For some rSeason this may be just a coach thing but I'm unsure. But you sure don't want to be known as a High school Player for hire. High school gets you to the point you can get to the next place. An education experience.

Just look around. Players got what they wanted and where they wanted in college without difficult decisions along the way.

If "these kids are working to get to another place" means to another school just to play basketball with some other players, maybe the TSSAA needs to express their reason for the rule they have. Evidently all schools don't think the reason for the rule is what you expressed. They are the ones who sign off on the rules. I could be wrong but to just transfer to play basketball on a different team is not the reason the rule was made to start with I always thought. I could be wrong.

This rule will hurt kids like my daughter! She has played for high school coaches for years in the summer. Also she has trained with them in the off seasons. She has a better chance of being seen at a summer tournaments! You can look up and see Yale and Harvard at these games. High school ball is great for the community but the kids at more exposure in the summer. This rule will make me take my daughter to a near by state just to train and play summer ball. She goes to a great school for the education first and basketball second.We can do this because she plays for the top girls basketball program in the nation during the summer. Please don't mess that up. We have a hot bed for girls basketball and great schools to give them the education to go with it.

Edited by nic

They could take part of the proposal, requiring such players transferring to sit out a year regardless of change of address and continue to allow coaches to coach AAU. It would be interesting to see if any stop coaching AAU if it's more difficult for players to transfer and be eligible.

East TN schools approved both measures at about a 70 percent rate.

Edited by Indian

They could take part of the proposal, requiring such players transferring to sit out a year regardless of change of address and continue to allow coaches to coach AAU. It would be interesting to see if any stop coaching AAU if it's more difficult for players to transfer and be eligible.

East TN schools approved both measures at about a 70 percent rate.

I guess I'm way behind. Has there been a vote on anything concerning this with public High Schools. The rule has been change of address for some time, or one year. Coach, I thought, not before school was out but 3 days tryout time after school was out and not during black out. This did not apply to Private School Coaches. Never heard of approval of anything at about a 70 percent rate. This meant a coach could coach everyone but his players about 3 weeks in June. Did not apply to private School coaches. I would doubt if the TSSAA would allow part of the State to do something and the other part not.

All of this is a lot of interesting posting over a proposal. I can remember a conversation about Coaches in a part of the state, 3 years ago, bidding to have AAU coaches as their asst coaches, to add players to their team for the school year. I don't think this is still going on but I think we can all agree that is a violation of something or maybe not. It could be as innocent as paying a non faculty coach and one of the parents of some players to be an assistant coach for a hired player for a school year.

A salary for coaches during off season, as was mentioned, is getting in to something I had rather not comment on as it had to be paid for off season work by the players on the affected team and be taxable. If that were just for 3 weeks in June, if that is correct, thats not much for three weeks training.

Is all of this realistic? I hope not. Is too much being made of this? Yes. but the more made of it makes one think something is happening. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I don't think so. But there is a minefield of rules there for something.

I guess I'm way behind. Has there been a vote on anything concerning this with public High Schools. The rule has been change of address for some time, or one year. Coach, I thought, not before school was out but 3 days tryout time after school was out and not during black out. This did not apply to Private School Coaches. Never heard of approval of anything at about a 70 percent rate. This meant a coach could coach everyone but his players about 3 weeks in June. Did not apply to private School coaches. I would doubt if the TSSAA would allow part of the State to do something and the other part not.

http://www.tssaa.org/Votes/2011RegionalMtgAgenda.htm

http://www.tssaa.org/Votes/2011RegionalMtgVotes.htm

Other two sections of the state are yet to vote.

If this passes across the state, it doesn't mean students can no longer play AAU. It means if they transfer to a school where their AAU coach is a coach at that school then they have to sit out a year even if they move their residence. If both proposals pass, the first one is useless because if high school coaches are not allowed to coach AAU then an athlete would never transfer to a school where a coach there is involved in AAU. The proposal was made because AAU coaches who also coach in high school are allowed to spend more time with players from other schools than they can their own players. And it is believed that many coaches used this platform to influence AAU players to come to their school which is a violation of the recruiting rule.

That sounds reasonable. When does this go in effect?

I see no reason for these rules. It can be handled in a much simpler way. Just chain your best players around there ankles so they can't run. The high school coach where they are zoned when they are born will have the only key. Just unlock the shackles for practice and games, then just slip them back on after. Maybe for the female players you could have them wear a veil. If they are really good players the other coaches couldn't tell who was whipping them out on the court and they wouldn't know who to recruit.

These two rules have a Russian or maybe China feel about them. I love living here in the good ole USA and don't really care for those two places.