Henry County vs. Ridgeway

RedSwarm10

One question. After we scored early in the 3rd to go up 21-0, was that an actual onside kick attempt on the following kickoff, or was it just a mess up by the kicker? We had absolutely dominated up to that point, and that really gave the Roadrunners a ton of momentum. I just have a hard time believing that was actually called. Plus I saw a coach chew our kicker out immediately after.

Then you saw "exactly" what happened...and this isn't the first time this has happened this season.

It had to be a mistake. Ridgeway was on the ropes & looked shell schocked at that point. The pressure from the d-line and coverage by the secondary was too much for their QB. Ridgeway's #3 ran so hard and #1 was held in check for the most part. I have to tip my hat to Caleb Counce as well. That was his best game at HC in my opinion.

I agree it had to be a mistake. Luckily it doesn't matter now. And yes, another stellar performance from the Defense. And I agree whole-heartedly about Ridgeway's #3. Very, very impressive. There were a few times where I actually couldn't believe he was still on his feet. And even though we held him in check most of the game, I was also impressed with their QB. And their Defensive line indeed looked like a unit that had 2 SEC recruits on it in the 2nd half. There was definitely some talent displayed on the field tonight. I'm just glad we came out with the W.

As for us, I agree again. Game ball should go to Caleb Counce. Our XP and field goal kicker also deserves some mention for this one. After his struggles over the course of the season, that kid has been money since our bye week. That field goal was HUGE at that point in the game. And yet again, I'll give another shout out to the defense. Holding them out of the endzone when they had those 4 chances...just incredible. And of course, the INT to seal the deal at the end. Bravo.

Typical James Counce coached team. Fundamentally sound. #50 Jelks is a MAN among boys. I can see why ever school in the country wants him. Caleb Counce had a great game. Ridgeway's OC called some boneheaded plays in the game though. The third quarter when #3 Walton had ran the ball down to the HC 10 yard line, they get away from what got them there and start throwing. Couldn't believe it. The Henry County defense had him gun shy and he had happy feet,and I couldn't believe they kept trying to run up the middle of Henry County's defense. #7 The quarterback for Henry County would have scored on a few of the quarterback keepers against any other team. Ridgeway had a lot of speed on the field. Still a typical James Counce coached team, nothing fancy just line up and play smash mouth football. Jelks is a man. If the kid doesn't get hurt I can see him being an all SEC type player at Vandy. He's a great player.

what broke there back was the fumble on the kickoff after the field goal

The FG kicker from Henry County just BARELY squeaked it over the crossbar. Thought it still going down to the wire but when Ridgeway fumbled the kickoff...That was all she wrote. Lots of great athletes on the field for both sides. Hard hitting game too. Henry County laid the wood to #1 Dawson and he didn't want to stretch out for any more passes after the first quarter. #3 Walton who is going to Ole Miss has a lot of heart to go with his speed. That one run that he made that got the ball down inside the 5 was nothing but pure determination. Great game.

I agree it had to be a mistake. Luckily it doesn't matter now. And yes, another stellar performance from the Defense. And I agree whole-heartedly about Ridgeway's #3. Very, very impressive. There were a few times where I actually couldn't believe he was still on his feet. And even though we held him in check most of the game, I was also impressed with their QB. And their Defensive line indeed looked like a unit that had 2 SEC recruits on it in the 2nd half. There was definitely some talent displayed on the field tonight. I'm just glad we came out with the W.

As for us, I agree again. Game ball should go to Caleb Counce. Our XP and field goal kicker also deserves some mention for this one. After his struggles over the course of the season, that kid has been money since our bye week. That field goal was HUGE at that point in the game. And yet again, I'll give another shout out to the defense. Holding them out of the endzone when they had those 4 chances...just incredible. And of course, the INT to seal the deal at the end. Bravo.

Two observations about a game which was really well-played and, in the second half, more suspenseful than we Henry County fans wshed.

1. Henry County's pre-game preparation was just remarkable. Running the read opion and the FB trap allowed them to score 2 TDS, and--had Najee Ray not fumbled twice deep in Ridgeway territory, HC could have had 2 more TDs. Halftime score might have been 28-0, and Caleb Counce's catch and run for TD in first series of third quarter would have made it 35-0 with a runaway in sight.

2. Ridgeway's coaching staff did a great job of adjusting the defense. The plays which Henry County had broken in the first half did not work after the intermission. Ridgeway made it close and made it interesting. There was no quit in the Roadrunners.

Key plays for HC. Offensively, this had to be a long completion on 3rd down to move the chains and keep a drive alive when the ground game had been stopped. Ridgeway gambled that we would not throw on 3rd and long, but the pass was completed On defense, there were many plays but not more important than the sacking of Ridgeway QB Golden when he rolled out on 4th down inside the Patriot 10. Golden is not an easy QB to corral, with his 6 foot, 200 lb plus frame. The Patriot rusher (couldn't see his number from where I was siting), literally climbed him and wouldn't let him get the ball out. Another observation: you won't see many high school defenses as tough as Henry County's. High school secondaries don't usually work together as well as Hilliard and Company. Interceptions were hard to get against QB Golden because he has a rifle for an arm. The passes got from Point A to Point B awfully quickly.

An enjoyable and wonderful game to watch. Greying and ageing for the coaching staffs.

Congrats to HC on the win, the crew was very hospitable as usual and the gumbo was spot on. Thanx very much for the food and conversation.....

This Ridgeway team from top to bottom was the most talented team I have seen this year. They are not near as good as they could/should be under better guidance. The difference in the flow of the game was very evident concerning HC competing against better more talented players than they have seen all year. This win is to be accredited to the coaching of Coach Counce tonight. Good luck next week against a good Hendersonville team; it will be another tough game regardless what the "experts" say.....lol

Congrats to HC on the win, the crew was very hospitable as usual and the gumbo was spot on. Thanx very much for the food and conversation.....

This Ridgeway team from top to bottom was the most talented team I have seen this year. They are not near as good as they could/should be under better guidance. The difference in the flow of the game was very evident concerning HC competing against better more talented players than they have seen all year. This win is to be accredited to the coaching of Coach Counce tonight. Good luck next week against a good Hendersonville team; it will be another tough game regardless what the "experts" say.....lol

Same story as last year.

I think our 2 fumbles deep in Ridgeway territory also had quite an effect on the flow of the game...score wise that is. The missed kickoff in the 2nd half shifted the momentum drastically...and it turned into a game. The adjustments they made defensively made a big difference as well. I agree with your comment about Hendersonville. Although to be honest, there is not another team in the state I would rather be facing...and I can almost guarantee that our players feel the same. Should be "entertaining" to say the least.

Edited by RedSwarm10

Same story as last year.

I think our 2 fumbles deep in Ridgeway territory also had quite an effect on the flow of the game...score wise that is. The missed kickoff in the 2nd half shifted the momentum drastically...and it turned into a game. The adjustments they made defensively made a big difference as well. I agree with your comment about Hendersonville. Although to be honest, there is not another team in the state I would rather be facing...and I can almost guarantee that our players feel the same. Should be "entertaining" to say the least.

I believe those fumbles were a result of some nice hits, I dont think any team has been as physical as RW against HC this season. Regardless HC got the win and I think this game helps them as Hendersonville will not have the over-all team speed that RW had.....