Watch out for Whitwell Girls

BIGBILLY2010

You have to put Grundy as the favorite among the local teams now especially after the win vs Jackson. They did lose to Franklin County, which has been inconsistent, but they have road wins at Sequatchie and Bledsoe. After that it looks fairly even among Sequatchie, Whitwell, Bledsoe and Marion.

Sequatchie got probably their best win of the year so far vs Whitwell at the South Pittsburg tournament this week, 45-38. Led 22-9 at the half and overcame some turnover craziness in the third quarter to hold on late. What made it better, they were missing two of their main players-last year's leading scorer and this year's leading scorer-and still had multiple players step up to get the win. Three or four had seven or eight rebounds and the leading scorers with 11 each were a junior and a sophomore. Sequatchie has won 5 of 7 after starting the season with a pretty tough schedule, GPS twice, Grundy, a young but improving Cleveland team, at Meigs (overtime loss with some odd things happening late), and improved teams from Smith County, York and Warren County. Marion and Sequatchie have split already and play again Thursday night.

Whitwell played non-TSSAA Hamilton Heights Wednesday, not sure how that went. HH was certainly interesting to watch with three foreign students in the 6'3" to 6'6" range, the tallest being just a freshman. They lack aggressiveness but still, they were 6'3" to 6'6" and that makes up for a lot. They also had a good point that could shoot and go to the basket. They beat Marion early in the week but Marion came back yesterday to really do a number on CSAS. So far the district with Marion, Whitwell and Sale Creek looks stronger than the group with Grace, Silverdale and CSAS.

I will still not be surprised to see Marion come out of the district and region. Strong post play and when their shooters are on it frees up the girls inside.

Really surprised me that Whitwell lost to a Sequatchie team with out it best player. The Tigers weakness continues to be their post play, just dont have the size.

Seq was also missing one of their leading posts that game. Lots of girls stepped up during the week, and in most of the last 10 or so games. It definitely helps to have height but I've seen plenty of shorter teams, boys and girls, balance out the rebounding and score some inside just because they block out well and generally get after it more than the opponent. Seq also beat Marion the next game to win 2 of 3 for the season against the Warriors.

This has turned into a thread about the valley teams not just Whitwell, so I will mention some of the results. Bledsoe stayed with McMinn Central for a while and led by 10 after a quarter. That's impressive even though they did end up with the loss, with nearly 30 turnovers being a main reason. Bledsoe is still a young team with some of their main players just freshmen or sophomores.

I saw Grundy didn't completely roll over CCS, listed with a 3-11 record, though box scores can be deceiving. Playing on the road can result in lots of things going the hosts' way, too. Still it was a win to keep them undefeated in the district.

Sequatchie and Bledsoe have a big game in Pikeville Friday. Seq beat Soddy-Daisy, not a bad team but not great for AAA, for the second time last night. 45-30 final. Seq did not shoot well at all but rebounded well and limited turnovers to 9, less than their average. SD had that many in the first quarter and finished with 30. Some were walks and unforced throwaways but many were forced by strong defense. Seq has played only two district games 1-1 so what happens the rest of the season will be more telling on how they are seeded in the district tournament. You still have to pick Grundy, until somebody proves otherwise.

Edited by Indian

Seq was also missing one of their leading posts that game. Lots of girls stepped up during the week, and in most of the last 10 or so games. It definitely helps to have height but I've seen plenty of shorter teams, boys and girls, balance out the rebounding and score some inside just because they block out well and generally get after it more than the opponent. Seq also beat Marion the next game to win 2 of 3 for the season against the Warriors.

This has turned into a thread about the valley teams not just Whitwell, so I will mention some of the results. Bledsoe stayed with McMinn Central for a while and led by 10 after a quarter. That's impressive even though they did end up with the loss, with nearly 30 turnovers being a main reason. Bledsoe is still a young team with some of their main players just freshmen or sophomores.

I saw Grundy didn't completely roll over CCS, listed with a 3-11 record, though box scores can be deceiving. Playing on the road can result in lots of things going the hosts' way, too. Still it was a win to keep them undefeated in the district.

Sequatchie and Bledsoe have a big game in Pikeville Friday. Seq beat Soddy-Daisy, not a bad team but not great for AAA, for the second time last night. 45-30 final. Seq did not shoot well at all but rebounded well and limited turnovers to 9, less than their average. SD had that many in the first quarter and finished with 30. Some were walks and unforced throwaways but many were forced by strong defense. Seq has played only two district games 1-1 so what happens the rest of the season will be more telling on how they are seeded in the district tournament. You still have to pick Grundy, until somebody proves otherwise.

Sequatchie rolled Bledsoe tonight, with 3 scorers in double figures. The deciding factor was the Indians height in the post.

Sequatchie led by 25 at the end of the third quarter and kept the lead around 20 most of the fourth, won by 18, 58-40. Big win after Bledsoe had played pretty well vs McMinn Central earlier in the week and more importantly because it was a district game. For Seq, Barker had 15, shot well and defended well. Second game back and her minutes should keep increasing each game though the others did a fine job running the offense when she was on the bench. McAfee 14 points, 11 rebounds, Frederick, 11 points, 11 rebounds; Lawson, 8 points, 12 rebounds; K Key, 4 points, 4 blocks, 5 rebounds. Roughly 5'10" or better on all five of those including the ones who play primarily wing/guard so height was a big factor. JV won 42-17 and led 28-7 at the half. Seq has Notre Dame on the road Tuesday, another district game, they're playing well, have won 8 of 10 but can't overlook anyone.

I saw Whitwell only beat South Pittsburg 55-47, that close score surprises me as SP is 1-12. I haven't seen the box score, maybe they scored some late to make it closer. Grundy beat Signal Mt handily, no surprise. SM should be tough in future seasons. You could make a good case their best player is just an 8th grader. I think if schools like that can have 8th graders, schools with just one feeder should also even if it's just practice and JV games after the middle school season ends, but that's another topic.

Anyone have any info on the Whitwell/Sout Pitt game from the 6th???

I didn't attend and haven't heard any details other than the final score and it just seems wrong. I'm having a hard time believing that Whitwell's starters couldn't beat SP by more than 8.

I'm thinking they had to have been playing the bench the entire game or something... just doesn't sound right.

any info?

I didn't attend and haven't heard any details other than the final score and it just seems wrong. I'm having a hard time believing that Whitwell's starters couldn't beat SP by more than 8.

I'm thinking they had to have been playing the bench the entire game or something... just doesn't sound right.

any info?

Was told that Whitwell just played horrible

any info?

Open your eyes and take off the rose colored glasses.

Sequatchie came out strong early in beating CCS tonight at home in a district game, 68-43. 28-8 after a quarter and 38-15 at the half, giving everyone the chance for at least some playing time in the second half. JV also won earlier by double figures.

Seq got 20 points, 10 rebounds, 5 steals from McAfee, 15 points, 5 steals, 6 rebounds from M. Barker, 12 points from Frederick, 10 points and 5 blocks by K. Key. A make-up game with Whitwell for home is being worked on for Saturday possibly but nothing is finalized yet.

Grundy won vs Notre Dame to stay on top of the district standings. It was not as big a margin as I expected, but I expected more of a margin last week too when Seq only defeated Notre Dame by 4. The Lady Indians trailed 12-2 early in the game and finally got a go-ahead 3 with about 2 minutes left. Notre Dame looked well coached and may be due for an upset either the rest of the regular or in the tournament. Bledsoe also played Signal Mt tonight in a district game.

I saw Whitwell vs Boyd-Buchanan on the schedule, BB has one win according to the schedule on here.

Sequatchie came out strong early in beating CCS tonight at home in a district game, 68-43. 28-8 after a quarter and 38-15 at the half, giving everyone the chance for at least some playing time in the second half. JV also won earlier by double figures.

Seq got 20 points, 10 rebounds, 5 steals from McAfee, 15 points, 5 steals, 6 rebounds from M. Barker, 12 points from Frederick, 10 points and 5 blocks by K. Key. A make-up game with Whitwell for home is being worked on for Saturday possibly but nothing is finalized yet.

Grundy won vs Notre Dame to stay on top of the district standings. It was not as big a margin as I expected, but I expected more of a margin last week too when Seq only defeated Notre Dame by 4. The Lady Indians trailed 12-2 early in the game and finally got a go-ahead 3 with about 2 minutes left. Notre Dame looked well coached and may be due for an upset either the rest of the regular or in the tournament. Bledsoe also played Signal Mt tonight in a district game.

I saw Whitwell vs Boyd-Buchanan on the schedule, BB has one win according to the schedule on here.

ND has improved from the beginning of the year, but the Lady Jackets have been playing EVERYONE getting them experience. The bench can become very valuable down the stretch. The girls coming in support played almost 2 quarters last night.

Edited by mtnman80

ND has inproved from the beginning of the year, but the Lady Jackets have been playing EVERYONE getting them experience. The bench can become very valuable down the stretch. The girls coming in support played almost 2 quarters last night.

Sequatchie and Whitwell should be a good game Saturday, but next Friday with Sequatchie going to Grundy could be the best game, Lady Indians are looking really good right now