Top Posters In This Topic

My prediction for 7-AAA:

1. Riverdale

2. Blackman

3. Oakland

4. Siegel

5. Smyrna

6. LaVergne

I am an 8-AAA person. But I believe you have it pretty close. Maybe Oakland beats Blackman. Blackman did not impress me versus Lawrence County, even though they did win. LC played extremely sloppy, but so did Blackman. #11 for Blackman is dangerous at the top of their press though. Region 4-AAA shall compete for the state title.

I am an 8-AAA person. But I believe you have it pretty close. Maybe Oakland beats Blackman. Blackman did not impress me versus Lawrence County, even though they did win. LC played extremely sloppy, but so did Blackman. #11 for Blackman is dangerous at the top of their press though. Region 4-AAA shall compete for the state title.

Blackman and Lawrence County did both play sloppy and both teams will get much better as the season goes on. Both these teams are going to be really good teams. Blackman won probably because they were at home. I think they play again in a week or 2 in Lawrence County. Could very go Lawrence Counties way in that one.

My take on Blackman:

Blackman is a really good defensive team.

Blackman needs to develop depth. The top 4 or 5 are solid but not much offensive help coming off the bench. Hopefully that will change as the season goes on. Chelsey Hall is a good point guard who has already signed with UT Martin. She shoots the ball well from 3 and is a good ball handler. Kortnay Cox has been a 4 year player and has a lot of experience. Tough all around player. Good scorer, rebounder, defender. Sophomore Micah Norris is long and tall and is a defensive terror. She needs to assert herself a little more on the offensive side because I believe she can be a good scorer also. She is probably to unselfish. She probably has the most ability of anyone on the team. Freshman Alex Johnson down low scored 17 against Lawrence County and Blackman needs that post presence she looks like she can give them. This girl has a great future. Amanda Pollack is the off guard. Good outside shooter. Needs to be consistent from 3 and play solid defense and handle the ball well. Morgan Miller was not dressed for Lawrence County but should give depth in the post. Kennadi Killings comes off the bench and is a good defensive presence.

Reason why I gave Blackman the nod over Oakland is that while Oakland has made big strides since the beginning of last season, it is still a VERY young team ( 2 Seniors, 5 Juniors, 6 Sophomores) that is just now starting to learn how to win these games after years of struggles as a program. Blackman, on the other hand has been pretty steady the last few seasons and has been the one team on a consistent basis capable of giving Riverdale a run for their money. I think because of Riverdale's enormous talent that the battle for 2nd in this district could be just as fun as any other.

1. Rutherford County All Stars

2. Battle between Oakland and Blackman

4. Battle between Siegel and Smyrna

6. Lavergne

1. RIVERDALE we are loaded as everyone knows however we came up short of the ultimate goal last year

2. Blackman dont know how they do it but they keep coming at ya

3. Siegel i think they know how to win and that is why they will be 3rd but in my opinion 3-5 could be changed

4. Oakland might still be too young having said that we only start 1 Sr at RIVERDALE

5. Smyrna I would not be surprised if they finished 3rd like i said 3 4 5 could change

6. Lavergne wow they have really fallen but i dont know why as the middle school is usually pretty good

1. RIVERDALE we are loaded as everyone knows however we came up short of the ultimate goal last year

2. Blackman dont know how they do it but they keep coming at ya

3. Siegel i think they know how to win and that is why they will be 3rd but in my opinion 3-5 could be changed

4. Oakland might still be too young having said that we only start 1 Sr at RIVERDALE

5. Smyrna I would not be surprised if they finished 3rd like i said 3 4 5 could change

6. Lavergne wow they have really fallen but i dont know why as the middle school is usually pretty good

I think you your also forgetting that not only did Siegel lose Cason, but their top scorer transferred to your Warriors. Thats alot of production to replace. No idea where Oakland finishes this year, but they play with an intensity passion that the great Oakland teams of 2000-2005 played with. Really looking forward to the games against Blackman, I think that will be a true test of how much farther Oakland has to go before they can make a run to the top

My guess, maybe their best middle school players don't end up at the high school. May be more to it than that. They were not competitive at the playday I saw, against nothing like the competition they will get in the district.

Indian, you are pretty perceptive and there is more to all of this than you might think but believe it or not, its all legal and is a result of a system which has gotten out of control. Its something that I have been posting about for some time and as I hear of things, like this occuring thru the State its easy to put two and two together and discover there are some schools that understand how to get around the system since its been around for so long, too long.

After a while things have a way of evening out but usually the system has a lot of help by numerous people and what happens just happens. There is a glaring weakness in the transfer system that gives incentives and not so easy ways to work around the system if someone wants to try. Intent is never checked and as long as two or three questions are asked and the right answers are given, one just goes on to the next case. It is a way to legally beat the sysem without having to spend too much time on it.

Good athletes and their parents, the AAU system and some knowing coaches just know how to beat the system. You only have to be on this site and hear the banter and know what is going to happen long before it happens. Now is that bad to be able to do it. As long as it is within the rules, it seems not. If there is a way a school is intentionally doing it, look around and find a strong AAU Club whose players have a way of migrating to the same school. Find schools which have special programs which promote transfers and have been done by a local school District. All of this is embedded in to the systems and signed off on by the School District. It generally is done to promote the school and not particularly for athletics. Someone recognizes the program, understands the mode of transfer, and takes advantage of it. Its within the rules. This happens thru the State and since sports are so popular, word just gets around.

Right now its not uncommon to hear of tranfers being made 2 to 3 to 4 times in a students k-12 career to follow friends or members of AAU teams thru school. Legal, yes. A lot of rental houses are used.

So, there is no way to keep it from happening nor should there be. A way to slow it down, there should be. If a clild is going to a school that is sub par, magnet or charter schools may be the answer. Waivers are for just about everything. A waiver just to play a sport, IMO, is not the right reason. It has just been denied in Memphis and should be denied anywhere. To allow a school to use a Districts Middle Schools or hign schools as a "farm club" or to promote students to attend high School there is against the rules. Seems to me to use AAu team mates to influence a school change would be the same. To use a coach who happens to coach student at other schools for the expressed interest of recruiting is against the rules. it is especially wrong if these are some of the best athletes in the sport.

Some will say, all of this is hard to prove and don 't get in the way of a student improving themselves. I resemble both of those comments. But don't disadvantage a teammate from becoming better if they are playing on the same team.

For some reaon, transferring is becoming blatent and rule need to be tightened up a little.

Reason why I gave Blackman the nod over Oakland is that while Oakland has made big strides since the beginning of last season, it is still a VERY young team ( 2 Seniors, 5 Juniors, 6 Sophomores) that is just now starting to learn how to win these games after years of struggles as a program. Blackman, on the other hand has been pretty steady the last few seasons and has been the one team on a consistent basis capable of giving Riverdale a run for their money. I think because of Riverdale's enormous talent that the battle for 2nd in this district could be just as fun as any other.

Blackman is just as young this year if not younger (2 Seniors, 3 Juniors, 3 Sophomores, the rest Freshman). We are starting 2 seniors,1 junior, 1 sophomore, and 1 freshman. It will be fun to watch all these 7aaa teams develop this year. I've been really impressed with Oakland so far. I believe you have your main players back from last year and they were very good players last year. Blackman did lose 7 seniors off of last years team. We have only 2 players with a lot of playing time returning and a couple of others with some playing time. The rest are seeing significant action for the 1st time this year. I was really impressed with freshman Alex Johnson. She will be fun to watch over the next 4 years.

For some reaon, transferring is becoming blatent and rule need to be tightened up a little.

I read today the Mississippi athletic association ruled against a transfer's eligibility and instead of just moving on, the new school and the player's family took it to court. An injunction ran out apparently, yet the team still shows up for games with the player in uniform and is told they can't participate due to knowingly playing her already this year. What a mess.