7-AAA 2011-2012

MidTennFootball

Blaze, I understand what you're saying about offensive help, but if you really think about it, we normally average around 35pts per game(the last couple of yrs). The other 4 young ladies (reserves) are very athletic and can play solid defense(my daughter being 1 of them). I think coach Hibdon will use them more as the season progresses, but LC is a solid team, and he didnt use bench much due to that fact. We are young though, we have 2 sophs and 2 freshman reserves. Looking forward to a great season though, because coach hibdon always has the girls playing great defense.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read today the Mississippi athletic association ruled against a transfer's eligibility and instead of just moving on, the new school and the player's family took it to court. An injunction ran out apparently, yet the team still shows up for games with the player in uniform and is told they can't participate due to knowingly playing her already this year. What a mess.

I certainly hope this does not get down to that. Thats not the issue I am more concerned about nor the eventuality.

The same thing happened in Memphis two days ago when the eligibility of a player from memphis central who now wanted to go to Southwind was not allowed to in a case that was obviously going to go against the player. Being reasonable about issues such as this and parents testing decisions about numerous matters is what concerns me. Trying to be fair, as the TSSAA has tried to do, is getting them in a bind. District school systems trying to do the same thing has painted themselves in a corner. The player in Memphis played while his case was being judged so someone on here posted that had seen him. The TSSAA wound up with two many exceptions to its transfer rule hoping none of the exceptions would be non consistant. I don't exactly know what voting on a resolution meant.

The mess that is coming is an AAU Club getting affiliated with a major shoe manufacturer, who will support either a player or coach and it really will be a mess. What has happened has happened. Some decison will have to be arrived at. the next decison will be when does it go into effect if approved.

Blaze, I understand what you're saying about offensive help, but if you really think about it, we normally average around 35pts per game(the last couple of yrs). The other 4 young ladies (reserves) are very athletic and can play solid defense(my daughter being 1 of them). I think coach Hibdon will use them more as the season progresses, but LC is a solid team, and he didnt use bench much due to that fact. We are young though, we have 2 sophs and 2 freshman reserves. Looking forward to a great season though, because coach hibdon always has the girls playing great defense.

MB, you do have it figured and and you know CH's style of play. hasn't changed in 5 years and likely won't.

MB, you do have it figured and and you know CH's style of play. hasn't changed in 5 years and likely won't.

Really good points PHargis. I have a young daughter that plays ball for team pride and while we are not from rutherford county I do know what you are talking about with many of the best basketball players ending up at the same high school. In many cases, the moves are made in Middle school so that it is not a big deal in high school. As you probably already know. I am in a bind with my daughter over the next few years because as parents we want what is best for our daughter in school and sports. Some would say that a child should go to wherever they are zoned no matter what the situation. Its hard to do this when you know other schools are putting together all star teams. The big disadvantage to this is that every day in practice with an all star team the players are all getting better. In contrast, just sending your child to their zoned school does not push them to become the best players because in many cases they are the best player on the team as a freshman. My daughter has a few more years before we have to make the big decision but we have considered renting property to send our child to a certain school because we want what is best for her. Furthermore, girls that play on all star teams get looked at much more than say a girl of equal talent but no team to work with so the stats suffer. The whole situation is horrible. Its almost like you have to play the game just to give your child a chance.

Really good points PHargis. I have a young daughter that plays ball for team pride and while we are not from rutherford county I do know what you are talking about with many of the best basketball players ending up at the same high school. In many cases, the moves are made in Middle school so that it is not a big deal in high school. As you probably already know. I am in a bind with my daughter over the next few years because as parents we want what is best for our daughter in school and sports. Some would say that a child should go to wherever they are zoned no matter what the situation. Its hard to do this when you know other schools are putting together all star teams. The big disadvantage to this is that every day in practice with an all star team the players are all getting better. In contrast, just sending your child to their zoned school does not push them to become the best players because in many cases they are the best player on the team as a freshman. My daughter has a few more years before we have to make the big decision but we have considered renting property to send our child to a certain school because we want what is best for her. Furthermore, girls that play on all star teams get looked at much more than say a girl of equal talent but no team to work with so the stats suffer. The whole situation is horrible. Its almost like you have to play the game just to give your child a chance.

By the way, I resembled that, done that and been there with another generation. Being smart enough to do that in middle School, as I have posted before, is part of the answer and does not cause as much confusion. A good player or two in

AAU from the same middle School, same grade allows a Middle School Coach to do their thing and likely brings up the rest of the team to go into High School. Everyone feels they are contributing. With cooperation from AAU, that side works out also. With ages hitting right(Birthdays), things can really work out good. There is a problem if the HS coach is not attuned enough with an all star team.

Case in point, sometimes you can't put enough enough basketballs on the court to satisfy everyone. Sometimes a great player is good for a couple of years and undetected(they are winning big time), a great player gets tied up with the others and does not even reach their potential nor do the others. Great Coaches don't allow that to happen but great coaches don't allow a great player with fewer great players on a team, to not reach their potential either.

A great player transferring, by what ever means, in their Sophmore year with a lot of great players on the team they transfer to, and I am saying MAY, give the impression that it is a very selfish, unthinking act, if they leave the first team with nothing left and only went to that high school because of a great player on that team and did get better for it when they were a freshman. But thats social stuff. What is also unfortunate is when this great player did have another great player on their Middle School team who took the option of transferring out of that zone on a transfer option(legitimate), so one of the two players never makes it to the zoned High School and the second plays their first year with a super star senior and takes advantage of that only after that year transfer to the school that has some great players. So everyone reading this will know, it is possible, IT IS POSSIBLE, that there can be 4 schools in a town that each have one or more super stars that can be qualified for scholarships. I can say without good coaching, that one thing sometimes makes it harder. It happened last year.

Now I don't know who you are but i am waiting now for this coming year when someone will do this again using the same tatics and a series of transfers are made again with not only Sophs but Juniors and as one school did it4-5 years ago, two seniors and this past year a senior. These are tough decisions but should be made some other way besides "playing ball". A lot of these decisions CAN be made earlier in a School Career if it is done in Middle School which is where most of the conflictg usually happens.

now lets take another example. lets go back to the first example of the two super players playing on the same Middle School team and are good friends but one decided to go to another high School out of their zone under a transfer option(legitimate) and during their freshman year does great and in their Sophmore year average say over 22 points a game and at the start of their junior year, players graduate so after some contact, the 22 point player says "I want to take the same route and tranfer to the same school as my friends are on". Right now it is a legitimate transfer, no question.

My question is when does all of this stop. When are schools just going to hire coaches just on how they are able to gain the system, forget the technical teaching of the sport. An AAU Director will just say, thats the way it works. Send me your players and I will try to do it for you also. So we wind up, coming out of Middle schools, no one without AAU experience being able to make the team or few that way. Certainly a late grower, 6'4 and can dunk can always find a place. All of this happens in every sport. And if it is and those who think its all right, High School is becoming the case where transferring and coaches who gain off of the transfer will have an advantage. And its all right. Do everyone know its happening? yes. Some on this site can tell you who it is everywhere.

Your question of what do you do if you know everyone else is doing it. If High Schools think they have no way to keep it from happening, until they find a way of keeping it to happen. Find you a school and some rental property you want to live in for four years, realize you might want transfer every year and have a list of rentals, understand socially your daughter socially might reduce the number of friends she has and maybe a boyfriend might get in the way or an injury at that age and decide what is important to your family; friends, an education or Basketball.

You are going to do what your daughter wants to do. It looks as if you have too many options and all of these complications didn't used to happen. I know of a family that now in 3-4 years they have lived in 2 rentals. its not unusual.

My suggestion. Don't believe anything you are told. it will likely not come from your coach but will come from a player who is a friend or a parent of a friend. A coach advising whether HS or AAU is not permitted. A friend is dangerous. Get your facts, you know the goals you are looking for and sometimes they are not the same as your daughter. Your daughter may not play sports the rest of her life. Find a school that gives you the best of everything that is important to you and You make the decision. The last thing, check with the TSSAA whenever you start playing the transfer roles. they will keep you out of trouble. And secondly and the double last thing, have an understanding with your daughter be careful of the dreaded boyfriend. No coach likes to see that person and most of the time will warn when one is in sight.

Edited by PHargis

• 4 weeks later...

I've been impressed by the Lady Blaze so far this year. Sometimes they don't look good but they keep winning. Only a 6 point loss to Mount Juliet is impressive also. Also been impressed by Oakland. I still believe Oakland and Blackman battle it out for 2nd although Siegel is better than I thought they were going to be. Also Smyrna appears to be better than I thought they would be. Should be a great season with some great games between some great teams.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight,

Rutherford county all stars over Oakland

Blackman over Lavergne

Siegel over Smyrna

Lavergne has an extremely young team. Playing pretty much all freshman and sophomores (mostly freshman). I hope Lavergne gives Kim Francis a chance to succeed there. They are just so young right now.

now if i was a player on other rutheford county teams i might take offense to that...you are saying that the girls on all of the county teams are not good enough to play for Riverdale...and that is not the case...while we are VERY talented we are not the all star team the paper and coaches will come out with that at the end of the year

GO LADY WARRIORS

I've thought he was referring to where some of the players previously played, whether a middle school that normally feeds into a different high school, or at a different high school. Maybe you're right or he's just talking talent.

He's not just talking about talent. RD Man has missed the point entirely (as usual).