GCFootball for 2012

SpreadAttack

Reality is that no county football team is good enough to make it to state. The milk can and Greene county championship have been a decades-long rivalry thing. The reason why kids get excited about these games is because the reality of a state championship is not likely. There are many reasons why the county schools have not had post season success. You obviously have little or no knowledge as to why it is so difficult to build a program at these schools.

Thank you.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubts that they could win a lot of games...but they wouldnt be in the state championship game every year.

i think maybe last year and this year GHS could beat either of the 5a teams that were in cookeville, but im no way saying we would be in it every year...in fact, if GHS wants to be back in it for a 4th year in 4a next year, they've got a TON of work to do to get back. quite obviously, everyone will be gunning hard for GHS next year, just like this year. I already cant wait. ofcourse everything i just said leading up to that last statement was complete and total opinion. None of us really KNOW what would happen. I just know that these last 3 years have been incredible and I for one am not ready for it to end.

Yeah I forgot that milk can is in there. Congrats on the big win... Play for something that matters then come back and post on here. I don't care who I offend, county football doesn't mean anything more than a county championship to county folks, nothing more.

greenedevils..i have made it pretty clear where i stand on the whole " gold balls vs milk can " issue. Quite clearly, for me personally, I would want my kid to play for gold balls over milk cans and I've had alot of fun poking at the county guys with that....HOWEVER, I do want to add this to my stance on it. Although playing for Gold balls is great and probably means more to most people who follow football, I dont want to take anything away from those kids who bust their humps to go out and win that milk can. I do understand the history of it and the significance of it to the WG and SG fans. I would never make fun of a kid for playing his rear off for that thing ( and im not saying you are either ). If i had a son that went to WG or SG I would be just as proud of him for winning that, as if he had won a gold ball, primarily because for most of those kids, that IS their gold ball. It really kinda goes back to what i said in my most recent vid. These kids are the ones that have to make that choice, not us. It's our job to support them and be proud of them regardless of which one they choose to play for. If im not mistaken, there's some county kids that have chosen to come play for Greeneville and on the flip side of that, i would almost bet that there are some city kids that have ultimately decided to go play for a county team. I still often wonder what the team would look like if we were like Jeff. Co. and only had ONE school to send our HS kids to. any thoughts on that from anyone?

greenedevils..i have made it pretty clear where i stand on the whole " gold balls vs milk can " issue. Quite clearly, for me personally, I would want my kid to play for gold balls over milk cans and I've had alot of fun poking at the county guys with that....HOWEVER, I do want to add this to my stance on it. Although playing for Gold balls is great and probably means more to most people who follow football, I dont want to take anything away from those kids who bust their humps to go out and win that milk can. I do understand the history of it and the significance of it to the WG and SG fans. I would never make fun of a kid for playing his rear off for that thing ( and im not saying you are either ). If i had a son that went to WG or SG I would be just as proud of him for winning that, as if he had won a gold ball, primarily because for most of those kids, that IS their gold ball. It really kinda goes back to what i said in my most recent vid. These kids are the ones that have to make that choice, not us. It's our job to support them and be proud of them regardless of which one they choose to play for. If im not mistaken, there's some county kids that have chosen to come play for Greeneville and on the flip side of that, i would almost bet that there are some city kids that have ultimately decided to go play for a county team. I still often wonder what the team would look like if we were like Jeff. Co. and only had ONE school to send our HS kids to. any thoughts on that from anyone?

That would be a scary amount of talent on one field/floor/diamond. Would definitely be VERY hard to handle.

i think maybe last year and this year GHS could beat either of the 5a teams that were in cookeville, but im no way saying we would be in it every year...in fact, if GHS wants to be back in it for a 4th year in 4a next year, they've got a TON of work to do to get back. quite obviously, everyone will be gunning hard for GHS next year, just like this year. I already cant wait. ofcourse everything i just said leading up to that last statement was complete and total opinion. None of us really KNOW what would happen. I just know that these last 3 years have been incredible and I for one am not ready for it to end.

Giles will be quite the hurdle for The Devils next year if they want to make another run at it.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't play for George frye, oh wait yeah I did. They just don't have the dedication or the work ethic that greeneville has. I just get tired of the little man syndrome the county schools and you have.

If you played football for a county school, then you should know some of the disadvantages the county schools face that the coaches and players can do nothing about! It has nothing to do with the "little man syndrome", it is simply the facts.

378673_10150422391006361_723806360_8995322_1121272288_n.jpgNuff Said! :thumb:

Consolidate, consolidate, consolidate!!!

No longer the little man.

No more losing athletes to the city.

Like Hawkins, Jefferson, Hamblen............ you cut the cost of Maintaining properties by a bunch.

It will be cheaper to maintain two properties than four.

But, when you mention it everyone cries about a drug problem, a crime problem, too many students in one place problem when it already exists in the county schools anyway.

County folks want to hold on to their community pride and they should.

Consolidation doesn't mean you give that up!

Oh my, what would we do with all those gold basketballs?!!!(SGHS)

Who cares!

And yes the county schools are at a disadvantage in every aspect of the system.

But, it's time to move into the 21st century.

You either want to move forward or stay where you are and claim to be the victim from now on but don't criticize Greeneville for moving forward.

I would love to see the county system be able to build a couple of programs like the city has but IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN as long as it is like it is.

Sure, there may be a few good teams from year to year but not the solid program everybody wants!

Oh Yea, GO DEVILS!

Edited by RODVEGAS

Giles will be quite the hurdle for The Devils next year if they want to make another run at it.

yep, i agree..i also think maplewood will be in it again and we will have a tough challenge just gettin out of east ten next year. i fully expect Fulton to be much improved. they were mostly sophs and jumiors this year i beleive..and BIG ONES TOO...lol..they'll be a hurdle as well

Consolidate, consolidate, consolidate!!!

No longer the little man.

No more losing athletes to the city.

Like Hawkins, Jefferson, Hamblen............ you cut the cost of Maintaining properties by a bunch.

It will be cheaper to maintain two properties than four.

But, when you mention it everyone cries about a drug problem, a crime problem, too many students in one place problem when it already exists in the county schools anyway.

County folks want to hold on to their community pride and they should.

Consolidation doesn't mean you give that up!

Oh my, what would we do with all those gold basketballs?!!!(SGHS)

Who cares!

And yes the county schools are at a disadvantage in every aspect of the system.

But, it's time to move into the 21st century.

You either want to move forward or stay where you are and claim to be the victim from now on but don't criticize Greeneville for moving forward.

I would love to see the county system be able to build a couple of programs like the city has but IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN as long as it is like it is.

Sure, there may be a few good teams from year to year but not the solid program everybody wants!

Oh Yea, GO DEVILS!

nice post. you also hear about travel distance being a problem with consolidation. i dont think as much as most people would like to see it, it will ever happen in our lifetime. im not sure what drugs and crime has to do with things...those two animals will find there way into things no matter how many or how few schools we have. as for community pride...why cant there still be that pride with consolidation? then there's that whole "MONEY" issue. it would cost a small fortune to do this, but i know the money could be found, it's just that pesky little matter of finding it...LOL

nice post. you also hear about travel distance being a problem with consolidation. i dont think as much as most people would like to see it, it will ever happen in our lifetime. im not sure what drugs and crime has to do with things...those two animals will find there way into things no matter how many or how few schools we have. as for community pride...why cant there still be that pride with consolidation? then there's that whole "MONEY" issue. it would cost a small fortune to do this, but i know the money could be found, it's just that pesky little matter of finding it...LOL

Yea, it should have happened years ago when the money was there. Found a way to build a new Chuckey Doak High School. Why not consolodate then.

Oh Yea, those Gold Balls.....

The long term savings would justify it.

The world is ever shrinking. There is no St. James High or Midway High anymore and the time is coming when there will be no WGHS or SGHS either.

I agree, not in our lifetime.