Best state champions

WoodlawnFalcons

Thats a crock, the privates are in their on class b/c they recruit and it is unfair for them to compete in play-offs against schools w/o that same privilege. Thats schools in general, but the top tier schools like Maryville, Riverdale, and a few others can still compete w/ and beat those private scools.....

Agreed. I personally think if the 6A champ were to play the D2 champ every year, it would probably be a pretty even back-and-forth from year to year. And I think the 6A team would've won this year, just my opinion.

Agreed. I personally think if the 6A champ were to play the D2 champ every year, it would probably be a pretty even back-and-forth from year to year. And I think the 6A team would've won this year, just my opinion.

I agree...I have no problem with playing Brentwood Academy, MBA, MUS, Baylor, etc. We've played them in years past...as a matter of fact, we've never lost to Baylor. There wasn't an Ensworth in the years when we were in the same region with MBA but Bowers was coaching then at MBA....Counce beat him his the first year and in 1995...HC/MBA played two EPIC battles...both won by MBA at MBA! Sign us up...Father Ryan, MUS, Ensworth, Baylor...we've done it before....and certainly have no problem doing it again.....

This discussion just shifts from one thread to the next hashed over and over again. If you look at history the Rutherford county 7aaa teams ( Riverdale, Oakland, Smyrna, Mt. Juliet ) have a 4-20 record versus Brentwood Academy, Montgomery Bell Academy and Ensworth over the past 20 years. Germantown, Melrose, Whitehaven and Whitestation have an even more dismal record versus MUS and Christian Brothers in Memphis. They are 5-26 over the last 20 years. Now Maryville just moved into 6A so that could change the dynamic of these matchups but historically the big 6a schools have a terrible record versus the privates. So what happens is you see post about how the private schools recruit because there are no historical facts to prove the current matchups would hold a different result. So when you can't beat them might as well bash them or make the matchup seem to be one that is unfair. Even Maryville and Alcoa have not played the privates since the 70's and last Alcoa played BA in 1989. Very few people who comment from the public side know much about the private schools or their teams and very few people on the private side know much about the public schools and their teams. I am sure Maryville fans can tell you 5 things about Alcoa's team this year but know very little about Brentwood Academy or Ensworth. I have said this over and over again. Every kid in America is zoned for a certain public school, yet not one of those schools has rights to that kid as a student athlete. But as a parent I have the right to send my child where ever I wish. I grew up in a community like Maryville where all the the kids go to school together for 12 years. I get that but its not that way in Nashville or the larger cities. You see public schools playing private schools all the time. Just watched a basketball game ....public school in Georgia versus Oak Ridge Academy. You think those kids rode home on the bus complaining about the players on Oak Ridge and how they are from all over. Excuses are cancer on a team. All of my kids are athletes and I was cornered on a few occasions by parents and the administration from the public school where I am zoned to continue on. It was my choice to go the other route. No one recruited me or my child and my kid played 2 varsity sports as a freshman. Even if the private school approached me and expressed an interest in my children, It is still my choice to where I send my kids. People in Nashville do one of three things for schools. They either stay in the zoned school, move to Williamson County or Rutherford County for better schools, or they go private. There are a lot of choices here. Regardless of this fact I just do not like the excuse many people use about recruiting and some of the outlandish post I read on here about kids moving from California and Colorado to play football in Nashville make me laugh. I dont know how all the kids get to the schools and I dont really sit around and think about that. You still have to lace up your shoes and play. Or pad up and play and I dont think any of the Maryville FOOTBALL PLAYERS if they made a road trip over to Nashville to play one of the privates would be talking about how the kids made it on the BA football team. Win or lose I dont think they would. They would pad up and play. But the fans in the seats sure do, and the coach t quarterbacks on here sure do.... and what it says to me when people do that is WE can't compete. So I just wish those people would learn a little more about the two football teams they are trying to pair up and comment about the matchups etc...instead of always mentioning something that many people have no experience with.

Edited by BIGANTUT74

I remember those games versus Henry County and they were always good games. I think you guys were 1-6 against MBA during that stretch but the games mostly were close hard fought battles.

I agree...I have no problem with playing Brentwood Academy, MBA, MUS, Baylor, etc. We've played them in years past...as a matter of fact, we've never lost to Baylor. There wasn't an Ensworth in the years when we were in the same region with MBA but Bowers was coaching then at MBA....Counce beat him his the first year and in 1995...HC/MBA played two EPIC battles...both won by MBA at MBA! Sign us up...Father Ryan, MUS, Ensworth, Baylor...we've done it before....and certainly have no problem doing it again.....

.... Or pad up and play and I dont think any of the Maryville FOOTBALL PLAYERS if they made a road trip over to Nashville to play one of the privates the coach t quarterbacks on here sure do.... and what it says to me when people do that is WE can't compete. So I just wish those people would learn a little more about the two football teams they are trying to pair up and comment about the matchups etc...

BIGANTUT74......Eye'm learnin moore and moore.....Hear eye am offurin' good garbige servuss and thankin' that will bee enuff.....Eye'm gonna haiv two "pad up" orr pony up moore hit looks like....Intristin' stuff in tha Tinnerseeun abowt how tha Nashvull privitts do it.....

signed,

STARSNBARS (Mairvul garbige and recrootin' servuss and "coach t qwarterbaik").... :popcorneater:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120110/SPORTS07/301100044/MBA-being-investigated-again-over-financial-aid?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

Edited by STARSNBARS

Yep not a great time for athletics at MBA, but its a good school with great academics and I am sure they will take their pill and move on. You nor I will ever know all that goes on at any school so nothing surprises me anymore. I did not go to MBA nor do I have kids there so not really a concern of mine. Still have to pad up....Stars

BIGANTUT74......Eye'm learnin moore and moore.....Hear eye am offurin' good garbige servuss and thankin' that will bee enuff.....Eye'm gonna haiv two "pad up" orr pony up moore hit looks like....Intristin' stuff in tha Tinnerseeun abowt how tha Nashvull privitts do it.....

signed,

STARSNBARS (Mairvul garbige and recrootin' servuss and "coach t qwarterbaik").... :popcorneater:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120110/SPORTS07/301100044/MBA-being-investigated-again-over-financial-aid?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

Yep not a great time for athletics at MBA, but its a good school with great academics and I am sure they will take their pill and move on. You nor I will ever know all that goes on at any school so nothing surprises me anymore. I did not go to MBA nor do I have kids there so not really a concern of mine. Still have to pad up....Stars

Mine eithur BIGANTUT74...."Nothin surprises me anymore" eithur....Weir good in tha "pad up" part '74....Knott so shore us poor old Blunt Cownteeuns cain hang wif tha Nashvull privitts "pony up" part tho..... :popcorneater:

oh brother, you can harp all you want, DII football is the best in the state. I've seen them all play. M-ville is a good team and their coach does a great job but DII football is the strongest across the board. Ensworth is not the only DII team that would beat them. And, up until 2 yrs ago, I lived a mile from the USA #1 rated team (in the US), coached some of those boys and my son played with them. There are at least 2-4 DII teams that would beat them (don bosco) should they have to play top teams wk after wk. The gold standard in football in TN is DII. You only need to look at where the DI recruits are coming from. There is a reason why the state made them go to their own division. I had the head recruiter for one of the top college pgms in the country at my tailgate a few wks back, and i asked him what schools in TN do you follow? Every single one was a DII school. Yes i'm sure the posts will now begin to refute this one but you keep on being delusional. In the end doesn't matter anyway, its only HS football.

Big ho hum.

Yep. The final game of my senior year at Henry County was actually a quarter final game against MBA. And it was, as you say, and epic battle. I'd love to get one of the privy's back on the schedule now that the program is up. It's difficult to schedule playing in a 9 team district though. I believe realignment is coming after next season. Hopefully we'll have 1 or 2 more open dates to fill than we do now.

Edited by RedSwarm10

So what happens is you see post about how the private schools recruit because there are no historical facts to prove the current matchups would hold a different result. So when you can't beat them might as well bash them or make the matchup seem to be one that is unfair.

Nobody bashed them by saying they recruit, its why they are separate from public schools now. Also, however you slice it it is all the same, whether coaches go to and talk kids into coming to the school, other parents know Joe blows kid who is a good athlete, or parents w/ great athletes want their kid to go to said school b/c they have a great team. The fact that a collection of great players can all go to the same school is an advantage. Having said that, it doesnt matter and nothing is wrong w/ it b/c they are allowed that privilege and have their own league against schools just like them.....

Nobody bashed them by saying they recruit, its why they are separate from public schools now. Also, however you slice it it is all the same, whether coaches go to and talk kids into coming to the school, other parents know Joe blows kid who is a good athlete, or parents w/ great athletes want their kid to go to said school b/c they have a great team. The fact that a collection of great players can all go to the same school is an advantage. Having said that, it doesnt matter and nothing is wrong w/ it b/c they are allowed that privilege and have their own league against schools just like them.....

.....unlike Maryville and other "open zoned" schools which play against and regularly beat up on traditionally zoned schools.

Both Maryville and Ensworth have awesome programs; the difference is that Ensworth plays by the same rules as those against whom they compete for D2 State Championships while open zoned schools play by different rules than most of the schools against whom they compete for D1 State Championships. No disrespect meant whatsoever, but perhaps that is the origin of the infamous "asterisk" which BIGANTUY74 introduced to these boards some time ago.

Both Maryville and Ensworth have awesome programs; the difference is that Ensworth plays by the same rules as those against whom they compete for D2 State Championships while open zoned schools play by different rules than most of the schools against whom they compete for D1 State Championships.

RedRobbun eye don't thank Bernard and tha boys down att tha stait offuss uhgree wif that....Mairvul iz playin wif inn tha TSSAA rulz.....and at leest one ov yore D2 skools that play bye tha "same rules" iz inn tha Nashvull Tinnerseeun sports paige today, maybee knott playin bye tha saim rulz..... :popcorneater: