BA about to get serious with football/basketball coaching search

Rainwater

It makes me wonder, however, how excited an outsider such as Rutledge or Rankin would be living up to Coach Flatt's legacy. Maybe it is like Notre Dame, where the prestige is so high the honor of coaching the Eagles would be enough. However, it could be like coaching the Dallas Cowboys as well .

The good news is that the school has some outstanding minds- and we have had several experiences trying things different ways after Coach Flatt retired. History taught us some valuable lessons. I am confident the right call will be made. It would be nice if the school would ask input- even if it were a mere formality.

Oops. Good catch. Thanks. I'll stick to my area of expertise, cross cpuntry. Original post edited!

They are two of my favorite people ever, and BA is very fortunate to have them both. In my opinion, nobody can ever completely fill Coach Harper's shoes, but Brad and Marshall come closest to anyone I know!

I would love to see Coach Flatt come back, but I understand he may not want to. Aside from promoting one of the great assistant coaches we have on staff. We have great people on campus already. I would love to see Jeff Rutledge. That's who many thought they should have hired the last time. This guy, if I'm not mistaken, played for Bear Bryant, won a national championship, went on to play 14 years in the pros. Was even on a couple of teams that were in the Super Bowl. Sounds like a man with a good deal of football experience that just needs a chance at the helm of the right program. We have that program.

I am sure no one is reading coach t for advice on the coaching opening but BA needs a dynamic longer term coach who can bring energy and renewed enthusiasm to the program. A coach in his late 30s or 40's. Nothing wrong with age -wisdom... Maybe Carlton can coach till he is 90 but personally I would like to see someone like George Quarles come in and re- energize the program. Jeff is mid 50's and certainly does not have one foot in the grave but I am not sure he is the best match either. BA is not Ohio State where you can get whoever you want but it's one of the top places to coach for high school ball in Tennessee. With the new facility going up it should be even better. I for one liked the old school feel to the current set up but that's just me...probably why I enjoyed those old teams from BA so much. I have clients all over who played some of those teams and they still joke about how no one looked forward to playing BA.

I am sure no one is reading coach t for advice on the coaching opening but BA needs a dynamic longer term coach who can bring energy and renewed enthusiasm to the program. A coach in his late 30s or 40's. Nothing wrong with age -wisdom... Maybe Carlton can coach till he is 90 but personally I would like to see someone like George Quarles come in and re- energize the program. Jeff is mid 50's and certainly does not have one foot in the grave but I am not sure he is the best match either. BA is not Ohio State where you can get whoever you want but it's one of the top places to coach for high school ball in Tennessee. With the new facility going up it should be even better. I for one liked the old school feel to the current set up but that's just me...probably why I enjoyed those old teams from BA so much. I have clients all over who played some of those teams and they still joke about how no one looked forward to playing BA.

I don't think BA can afford to gamble too much right now. They have slipped far behind Ensworth in just a couple of years and Bowers is no spring chicken,,, Yes a young, up and coming coach can sometimes sound appealing, but I don't think they can afford the risk right now. Rutledge is the best choice I see out there if he is still interested. Either that or get coach Flatt to come back for a year and give them a chance to look for the future. They can't drag their feet on this one.

My two cents....BA ought to go after Jeff Brothers. I really wish MBA had made a serious run at him this past year. Mainly because he's a defensive minded guy (played safety at Vanderbilt), and it's going to take tough, physical defenses to match up with Ricky. Potter (and Euverard for that matter) are offensive guys and seem to want to beat their opponents with X's/O's. that just isn't going to work right now.

My two cents....BA ought to go after Jeff Brothers. I really wish MBA had made a serious run at him this past year. Mainly because he's a defensive minded guy (played safety at Vanderbilt), and it's going to take tough, physical defenses to match up with Ricky. Potter (and Euverard for that matter) are offensive guys and seem to want to beat their opponents with X's/O's. that just isn't going to work right now.

We have a great defensive coordinator. Scoring against real defenses was our problem this year...

I would 1st hire a Athletic Director at BA. That position has no other job than run the athletic program at BA. Then I would hire a head football coach. The AD/HC combo rarely works successfully (Ensworth being the exception). 7 out of the 10 DII AA schools have dedicated AD's.

Edited by shakinthefat