BA about to get serious with football/basketball coaching search

Rainwater

Coach E has been involved in coaching high school football for 30 or so years. He coached at MBA under Tommy Owen, Ricky Bowers and Jeff Rutledge. He was MBA's head coach in 1993 during the head coach transition. He coached a few years at Gallatin and Page. He is a defensive wizard that head coaches love to have on staff. He mentors young assistant coaches and the players. He has a calm demeanor but he is able to motivate players to play hard. He has become a favorite coach and teacher at BA. Surrounded by the right people he could be a great HC.

There are many other posters that know Coach E and could expound more on him.

Coach E is a great man, admired and respected by pretty much everyone who has ever played for him. He was the offensive coordinator for years under Coach Owen. Sort of like Gentry was for Coach Flatt. He ran my butt several times after practice over the years. Not sure why we wasn't considered this past go round, or the round before that but....how's that working out for us, MBA?

Coach Rutlege is a good man, and had a lot of success early on at MBA. His crowning moment was beating BA in the Clinic Bowl in 2002, after BA had walloped MBA in the regular season. Brilliant preparation and play-calling in beating a much more talented BA team. Yould probably write a War and Peace size treatise on his departure from MBA...neither side (Coach R) or the MBA leadership looks particularly good. More than anything you can see the same pattern there as what happened this past year. Coach R as most know had a really horrible car accident around 2003 or 2004 that took a huge toll on him, physically and mentally...not sure if that's relevant today.

No I sure don't. I hate to disappoint you. I want to see the best fit for BA. Alot of people feel as if Coach Rutledge would be a good fit. I wondered why someone would want to slur him right off the bat. Look, I can understand that you might be afraid that your son could have problems if Coach Rutledge were hired, but if he has proven himself, he should be just fine. Maybe he was mistakenly overlooked at PJPII. You haven't been at BA over the past few years and you did not see teams, especially last years, underachieve. That has made alot of people very upset. We want a change and we want the RIGHT one. So I'm not putting your kid down, I have never talked to him. This is about more than you, him or me. It is about alot of people and the future of a program. Hopefully it will work out for all of us in the long run.

No dog in the fight here, but how could the starting QB at BA be "overlooked" at JPII as a defensive end?

BA, IMO, has steadily declined under the leadership of Ralph Potter, and has all the resources to be able to compete with Ensworth. No offense to those associated with BA, but he had more talent the last 2 years than anyone in D-II. Also, on the Rutledge topic, if the AD and HC were combined roles, I do not think that would be answer. BA needs a guy at AD that is a go-getter and hand-shaker at that position.

I'm of the opinion that making Alexander the AD would be a great first step, and then hire a good HC from there. If you are going to combine both roles, load the dump truck up and go get David Pack.

Edited by SmokeStackI

No dog in the fight here, but how could the starting QB at BA be "overlooked" at JPII as a defensive end?

BA, IMO, has steadily declined under the leadership of Ralph Potter, and has all the resources to be able to compete with Ensworth. No offense to those associated with BA, but he had more talent the last 2 years than anyone in D-II. Also, on the Rutledge topic, if the AD and HC were combined roles, I do not think that would be answer. BA needs a guy at AD that is a go-getter and hand-shaker at that position.

I'm of the opinion that making Alexander the AD would be a great first step, and then hire a good HC from there. If you are going to combine both roles, load the dump truck up and go get David Pack.

Agree on Buddy Alexander. Top notch! I hear the fax machine is on overload with applications. A ton of interest in the HC position. This hire is going to be exciting.

My point is PJPII doesn't have the depth of a BA. If they have three QB prospects and they are all pretty equal and one is a big kid, I can absolutely see how they might say, Hey lets put this one on the line.

I don't know much at all about David Pack. What is his background? Do you think he would work with our assistant coaches or would he want his own guys?

• Upvote 1

My point is PJPII doesn't have the depth of a BA. If they have three QB prospects and they are all pretty equal and one is a big kid, I can absolutely see how they might say, Hey lets put this one on the line.

I don't know much at all about David Pack. What is his background? Do you think he would work with our assistant coaches or would he want his own guys?

Max vs the other JPII QBs? and you surmise they are all equal? good heavens. let's put it this way, if max is not our QB next yr we are in trouble - big big trouble. and one more comment, i said this earlier. i was at my alma mater 2 wks or so, ranked among the top college teams in the country, going to a BCS bowl, and the recruiting head attended my tailgate and knew of our QB. enough said

Letter came from school to alumni asking for input on decision for coach. I thought this was a good move. Obviously, the decision needs to be made by the experts ( which I am not one- just another guy with an opinion), but I find it a quality move by the leadership to reach out for us to weigh in.

That's good to hear. they had a parent mtg earlier in the wk, lots of discussion and also asking for input. that said, not sure anyone is an expert, just folks that i'm sure will do their homework and make the best informed decision they can

It has been made pretty clear that curt masters is making the decision

Well, that's good. But, any good leader knows how to make sure the supporters will be with him. The examiner article just gave some names, but I think everyone knows the decision will ultimately be made by one person- and it should.

Edited by GoldenGoose85