BA about to get serious with football/basketball coaching search

Rainwater

With the rich tradition of BA, I would not even consider another coach before I offered George Quarles a pen and a blank check and made him turn me down. If he does turn you down, then BA and Gary Rankin need to hug and make up, because he can probably get you back to championship level... But Quarles is the best in the state at any level, bar none.

BA has always sought the best competition, period. Rankin's actions after his losses to BA suggest he lacks the character that I think BA demands.

I will be honest, PSU, I have never met Coach Rutledge, but have heard much about him over the years and I have not heard bad things. You have an air of a disgruntled parent that didn’t get what you wanted from him. It is pretty easy to find mad parents with higher opinions of their child’s abilities than what is the truth. Maybe you don’t fit that mold, just a feeling I have.

If you want to discredit the man, give us some tangible evidence that he is a bad coach. Some numbers maybe. I decided after your post to dig up a few numbers and facts for myself. I admit that I started out wanting this guy, at my school, off of what I had heard about him. With that said, you did encourage me to dig a little deeper. I really like what I found. Here is a small sample of my findings:

Won back to back state championships as a QB at Frazier Banks High School in Birmingham, Alabama.

Played for Bear Bryant as a starting QB and won three SEC championships and a national championship at Alabama. Played as a QB in the NFL for 14 years, was on three different teams that played in the Super Bowl…

Coached at MBA from 2002 – 2006. Won state championships in each of his first two years as their head coach. Was let go from MBA because they found out he applied for the coaching job at BA when Coach Flatt retired. (I have heard this from numerous sources.) This is the job that Coach Potter ended up getting at BA, which has led us to this entire debacle we are discussing today.

In 2002, his first year at MBA he went 9-4, and went on to win a state championship; defeated BA 27-11.

In 2003 he went 11-1 and won a second state championship beating BA 38-14. Outscored opponents by a score of 336-132. MBA was ranked #15 in the USA Today Super 25 Poll for that year. As a side note, I see he defeated Louisville Trinity by a score of 17-13 in the first game of the season that year.

In 2004, went 9-3, defeated BA 23-15

In 2005, went 8-3, defeated BA 17-7

In 2006, went 4-6, lost to BA 42-7. This is the year BA went on to win the state championship.

At some point after leaving MBA, he was the QB coach for the Arizona Cardinals working with Kurt Warner. During that time, they made it to the Super Bowl and Kurt Warner had one of his best years of his career.

I also believe he was a QB coach for Vandy for some time too.

If he wants the job, BA would be foolish not to take him. They should go after him. I find it hard as heck to believe BA could find a better body of experience and work anywhere else. Why take another chance like they did last time? They cannot afford to. Bottom line. Alumni and fans DO NOT want another experiment.

PSU is right. The parents here at JPII would gladly let him out of his contract to move on to BA. Man this would be good for JPII on both sides. (Get rid of a bad coach and give him to another school in our district)

All you have to do is look at your own stats. Won at MBA first two years then went downhill from there. He wins with other coaches teams. As he goes down the road his teams get worse. Just look back and see if I am not right. I have looked at all his coaching stats. He took a bad team at JPII and has just made them worse.

We thought his big name would really bring in the kids. This has not happened at all. Man you can only show a kid a super bowl ring so many times. Kids don't want to know what you have done but what you will do for them and the team. Coach Rutledge is all about himself and what he has done as a player because when you get past that there is not much there.

But if you would like for us to brag about him so he can get the BA job please just let us know. We will be happy to oblige.