Henry County Patriots 2012

RedSwarm10

He is an excellent football coach, and so his son. We are lucky to have both. Hopefully he sticks around for a good while longer. Still a lot of talent in the pipeline. If he does retire sooner than we hope, I wouldn't mind "junior" getting an opportunity of his own... Wasn't that "originally" the plan at Dyersburg?

Don't really know WHAT the plan was...I know we lost a GREAT football coach in Counce Sr. and possibly the best strength and conditioning coach in the state in Counce Jr. Dyersburg football has became a joke since he left. Lots of kids going to Dyer County, who I think got better with the hire of asst. coach Barry Kendall. But as long as Counce Sr. wants to coach you guys will be really good. He's one of those old school coaches who makes kids want to run through a brick wall for him. And he's got the athletes up there that can do it too. 8-)

Don't really know WHAT the plan was...I know we lost a GREAT football coach in Counce Sr. and possibly the best strength and conditioning coach in the state in Counce Jr. Dyersburg football has became a joke since he left. Lots of kids going to Dyer County, who I think got better with the hire of asst. coach Barry Kendall. But as long as Counce Sr. wants to coach you guys will be really good. He's one of those old school coaches who makes kids want to run through a brick wall for him. And he's got the athletes up there that can do it too. 8-)

Well said. He had some very good teams at Henry County back in the 80's and early 90's too. Of course, back in those days, state titles were harder to come by...especially in the largest class. But he's one of the best around for sure. And you're right on about the kids. Never seen a closer-knit bunch than the group we had last year. From the coaches all the way down to the JV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DHS football has become a joke since Counce left..HC will win games they shouldnt with Counce at the helm...yep DCHS will be much better overall with Kendall even with all the seniors they lost..

Edited by DHSFB64

I watched all but one of Grove's home games last season, and that was the best freshman team I've ever seen come through here. I say that with no hesitation. I know a lot can change and anything can happen, but I agree that we will be strong competitors in 5A over the next few years, and we will definitely have some more shots at winning the gold again.

In regards to this year's team, It's also worth noting that our JV was undefeated last year as well. There was plenty of talent that didn't even see the field. A lot of those kids will be moving up to the varsity, so I wouldn't sleep on this upcoming team. They're gonna be young, but they will be a handful by the time the playoffs roll around.

You know the program is on the up when the varsity, JV, and freshmen all go undefeated the same year.

i remember reading a post earlier in this thread that said you guys had 13 players sign football scholarships. if thats the case, theres just no way i cannot see you guys taking a significant step back this season. thats a kings ransom worth of talent to lose from one class.

i remember reading a post earlier in this thread that said you guys had 13 players sign football scholarships. if thats the case, theres just no way i cannot see you guys taking a significant step back this season. thats a kings ransom worth of talent to lose from one class.

I guess it depends on your definition of "significant". Yes we graduated a lot of talent, which nobody has disputed, but we can reload with the best of them. And we still have some very good players coming back. We might not be as good as last year, but we'll still more than likely field a very good team this season. I don't know, I'd at least like to see spring practice before I start talking us up. But if recent history has shown us anything, it's that we will have plenty of kids who are capable of stepping in to fill the void.

I guess it depends on your definition of "significant". Yes we graduated a lot of talent, which nobody has disputed, but we can reload with the best of them. And we still have some very good players coming back. We might not be as good as last year, but we'll still more than likely field a very good team this season. I don't know, I'd at least like to see spring practice before I start talking us up. But if recent history has shown us anything, it's that we will have plenty of kids who are capable of stepping in to fill the void.

i wasnt saying i expect yall to be bad next year or anything. just a step back. after losing that much talent, i just don't see how hc could be as big of a threat next year.

i wasnt saying i expect yall to be bad next year or anything. just a step back. after losing that much talent, i just don't see how hc could be as big of a threat next year.

We might not be AS BIG of a threat next year. Nobody is disagreeing with that. But we are the defending state champions, and will still more than likely be A threat by the time the playoffs begin. As I said before, we didn't graduate our entire roster. There will still be plenty of good players on the field wearing red this season. Some who've already had their presence felt, and some who will be new faces. We might be young in many spots, but we will have a well coached, talented team on the field next season, even after graduating "13 college signees". That's what powerhouse programs do.

We might not be AS BIG of a threat next year. Nobody is disagreeing with that. But we are the defending state champions, and will still more than likely be A threat by the time the playoffs begin. As I said before, we didn't graduate our entire roster. There will still be plenty of good players on the field wearing red this season. Some who've already had their presence felt, and some who will be new faces. We might be young in many spots, but we will have a well coached, talented team on the field next season, even after graduating "13 college signees". That's what powerhouse programs do.

powerhouse? look, i saw hc play twice last season and yall did have a very good team that was very deserving of that title. but still, you have one state championship. henry county isn't exactly what i would consider a powerhouse.

powerhouse? look, i saw hc play twice last season and yall did have a very good team that was very deserving of that title. but still, you have one state championship. henry county isn't exactly what i would consider a powerhouse.

We haven't always been a powerhouse, but here's a few little fun facts for you:

Since 2007 (the past 5 years), Henry County has the 3rd highest winning percentage in the entire state(.895), regardless of classification or division. The 2 schools ahead of us? Maryville(.946) and Alcoa(.904). Some of the schools we're ahead of? Milan(.888), Greeneville(.847), Ensworth(.864), Trousdale(.873), and South Pitt(.871). In those 5 years, we're 6th over all in total wins, with 3 trips to the semifinals or beyond (which isn't even including the semifinal we went to in 2006).

We may have only 1 state title during that time, but those are powerhouse numbers if I've ever seen them, waveyard. And here's the best part: We ain't even close to done :thumb:

Edited by RedSwarm10