Henry County Patriots 2012

RedSwarm10

Agreed with this. We're gonna be young in many spots next year. The senior class has some very good players in it, but it's not very big. So there will be a lot of underclassmen on the field next year, very different from this past year. Luckily for us, the junior class is very good, and the sophomore class is loaded.

The incoming freshman class for next year is pretty good, too.

I could see next year's sophomore class winning back-to-back championships their junior and senior years and feel confident predicting that this early. They'll definitely have the ability to compete.

Edited by chaos001

The incoming freshman class for next year is pretty good, too.

I could see next year's sophomore class winning back-to-back championships their junior and senior years and feel confident predicting that this early. They'll definitely have the ability to compete.

I watched all but one of Grove's home games last season, and that was the best freshman team I've ever seen come through here. I say that with no hesitation. I know a lot can change and anything can happen, but I agree that we will be strong competitors in 5A over the next few years, and we will definitely have some more shots at winning the gold again.

In regards to this year's team, It's also worth noting that our JV was undefeated last year as well. There was plenty of talent that didn't even see the field. A lot of those kids will be moving up to the varsity, so I wouldn't sleep on this upcoming team. They're gonna be young, but they will be a handful by the time the playoffs roll around.

You know the program is on the up when the varsity, JV, and freshmen all go undefeated the same year.

Edited by RedSwarm10
  • Upvote 1

I watched all but one of Grove's home games last season, and that was the best freshman team I've ever seen come through here. I say that with no hesitation. I know a lot can change and anything can happen, but I agree that we will be strong competitors in 5A over the next few years, and we will definitely have some more shots at winning the gold again.

In regards to this year's team, It's also worth noting that our JV was undefeated last year as well. There was plenty of talent that didn't even see the field. A lot of those kids will be moving up to the varsity, so I wouldn't sleep on this upcoming team. They're gonna be young, but they will be a handful by the time the playoffs roll around.

You know the program is on the up when the varsity, JV, and freshmen all go undefeated the same year.

True. There's still a lot of talent coming up through the program. We'll reload, just as we have for the past 6 years or so. There are still plenty of good linemen to choose from. And even after losing Allen, we'll still be stacked at tailback next season and for the next few years. There are athletes galore to go along with some good size, so WR, LB, and DB will work themselves out. Filling the hole left at QB will be interesting. One thing that will be difficult to replace is the speed that Najee had at the QB position. That sheer explosiveness under center is a valuable weapon to have, and I'm eager to see who rises up to fill that void.

I hope to catch a glimpse of spring practice this year. Since the Racers are out of the tourny, I'm ready to watch my other alma mater try to defend their title. Football season can't come soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, 2 weeks until spring practice starts.

Some things I'm hoping to see are: An improvement in the punting game. We didn't really need it much last year, and it's a good thing we didn't. But my guess is we will need a strong, consistent punting game at some point this season. I hope we work on it this spring. Also, with us losing a lot of senior beef up front, I hope we can develop more of a passing attack. Losing a 6'7 275 pound left tackle, a fullback who was big enough to play on the line himself, and big, hard nosed runner in Allen is going to make it harder to just line up and run over people as consistently as we did last year. I love the physical nature of the program, and I don't want to get away from that style of play. But with so many underclassmen having to step in to feel the void, it would be nice knowing we could pass the ball 15 or so times in a given game without too many problems.

On another note, I can't wait to see all the speed that's moving up to the varsity level. One thing is for sure, this team will be fast.

Well, 2 weeks until spring practice starts.

Some things I'm hoping to see are: An improvement in the punting game. We didn't really need it much last year, and it's a good thing we didn't. But my guess is we will need a strong, consistent punting game at some point this season. I hope we work on it this spring. Also, with us losing a lot of senior beef up front, I hope we can develop more of a passing attack. Losing a 6'7 275 pound left tackle, a fullback who was big enough to play on the line himself, and big, hard nosed runner in Allen is going to make it harder to just line up and run over people as consistently as we did last year. I love the physical nature of the program, and I don't want to get away from that style of play. But with so many underclassmen having to step in to feel the void, it would be nice knowing we could pass the ball 15 or so times in a given game without too many problems.

On another note, I can't wait to see all the speed that's moving up to the varsity level. One thing is for sure, this team will be fast.

There were at least 3-4 9th grade kids that could take it to the house on any play. That team was as all around impressive as any I have seen in several years. We have some kids waiting in the wings that could've started on many other teams last year. They will be very good this year too and surprise some people.

Edited by SEC1rules

Saw Coach Counce down in Dyersburg the first of the year and congratulated him on his state title. Talked with him about his team and he said "HE HAD SOME TALENT" coming up from the freshman team that would be sophmores this fall. Long as He and "JUNIOR" are there, his teams will be tough. You know what you are getting when you play a James Counce team. Nothing fancy, just line up and hit you in the mouth. Sort of like those Nebraska teams of the 90's that were so great. He did wonders with what he had at Dyersburg. With all that talent he has at HC, If he stays in coaching within 3 years he could have another state title. The guy is a great coach IMO.

Saw Coach Counce down in Dyersburg the first of the year and congratulated him on his state title. Talked with him about his team and he said "HE HAD SOME TALENT" coming up from the freshman team that would be sophmores this fall. Long as He and "JUNIOR" are there, his teams will be tough. You know what you are getting when you play a James Counce team. Nothing fancy, just line up and hit you in the mouth. Sort of like those Nebraska teams of the 90's that were so great. He did wonders with what he had at Dyersburg. With all that talent he has at HC, If he stays in coaching within 3 years he could have another state title. The guy is a great coach IMO.

He is an excellent football coach, and so his son. We are lucky to have both. Hopefully he sticks around for a good while longer. Still a lot of talent in the pipeline. If he does retire sooner than we hope, I wouldn't mind "junior" getting an opportunity of his own... Wasn't that "originally" the plan at Dyersburg?