District 3-AAA (Powell, OakRidge, A.C., etc...

ET1979

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the 3AAA coaches even need to worry about Powell next year. The cupboard is completely bare. They have no players who could start for any other school in the district. Y'all can just not even worry about them - just work on your next opponent the week you play them. You'll just show up and beat them. ;)

Ha, something tells me they won't take you up on that! Powell does lose some great players, though, you've got to admit, which is what lead me to say they'd be a big unknown. But I think they'll still contend for the best of the 5As in the district, which I think will be between Powell, AC and Central.

OR is the prohibitive favorite for sure. The rest of the district is more interesting in the sense of where they'll shake out. I would have thought Central would have been much better this past year. I think they're on the cusp of some good things in the very near future. I had thought that HVA was getting Aaron Blance since he'd enrolled there but on another thread there is speculation that he's trying to get back to Webb. That would hurt with the loss of Eskridge. Karns lost some senior talent and I think they'll be down from this year. Powell does have to replace some irreplaceable players so they're a big unknown. AC lost some good ones but I expect the defense will be shored up and they'll make some noise for the top slot among the 5A teams. Okay, that leaves Halls and Campbell County as the cellar dwellers. No offense to them, but I see them there for a while. CC lost a good QB in Tuffy Shoupe (dude, I love that name). Halls lost a couple of very good players in Brown and Long and I don't see them being easily replaced on what was a 1-9 team.

Powell is reloading for next year. I really believe they can have another great year. They have question marks with the O-line and Linebackers, but they return their best defensive player that was out half the year with a torn ACL, another 2 year DB starter, and have a few guys who split time on the D-line and LB (one of those guys was the second leading tackler on the team) who filled in nicely this year. Offensively their QB next year is going to be very good throwing the football, but he can also run the football very well(started receiver and back up QB this year). Very good passing QB, which could open up some different looks than what many saw with this years team. As Coach Matt Lowe said all year that Owenby is the best back-up QB in the state and would have started at almost any other program around. They lose a few receivers, but they have enough athletes to step up and make a seemless transition. Their running game will be good again(depending on O line) as they will have a Montario and Tyshawn who would have started at just about any other school as a running back, but was backing up Dyshawn Mobley. Tyshawn brings a whole lot of speed and quickness if he gets a seem he is gone, where as Montario brings pretty good speed and vision, but is more of a downhill runner. IF Powell can replace that linebacking core ond replace the two O lineman they lost then I would watch out for this team again because I would expect them to repeat the success they have had over the past few years. Powell has the talent in place to make another run again, but will have to see if the puzzle can be put together before the beginning of next season.

All in all I see the District coming down to Oak Ridge and Powell again. I am not even going to try to predict that much up next year because both teams should be bringing a lot of fire power if Powell turns out to be as good as expected suggested by most of the people close to the program.

Edited by basketball1234

I agree Powell's offense should be solid next year. There are young capable receivers waiting in the wings to fill in for Wright, Wood, Logan, and both Owenbys (one graduating and one moving from WR to QB). My son said that Clay Leeper looked really good in the JV games he played in. Also, Christian Kidd started a game in place of an injured Landon Wright at Rhea County. The cupboard isn't bare there; it'll just look a lot different. As basketball mentioned, I can't imagine Strozyk doesn't play some receiver next year. Also, Powell basically brings back 4 guys on the offensive line because Micael Ashe played a lot of snaps this year. They did lose their top 2 though on the OL.

The question marks really come on the defensive side of the ball. Coach Hawkins and Coach Lamb will have their hands full trying to replace the 6 guys they lost at inside and outside linebacker. Williams, Hammond, Agee, Mobley, Skeen, and Bunch are all gone and there doesn't appear to be a whole lot behind those guys. Scott needs to have another huge year, and some of those young guys are going to have to step up. My son tells me that the front runners to compete at inside backer next year are Jacob Story (a transfer who was inelibgible this year), Brody Husky, Josh Singleton, and Tyler Childers. He also said that OLB Donnie Tillman looked good in practice before suffering a season ending injury. The secondary should be strong. Sweat will probably stay at safety. He seemed to play well from what I saw of him at safety. Strozyk and Washington will be lock down at corner. I hear the coaches really like Mike Brown as well to compete for some playing time somehow.

I agree Powell's offense should be solid next year. There are young capable receivers waiting in the wings to fill in for Wright, Wood, Logan, and both Owenbys (one graduating and one moving from WR to QB). My son said that Clay Leeper looked really good in the JV games he played in. Also, Christian Kidd started a game in place of an injured Landon Wright at Rhea County. The cupboard isn't bare there; it'll just look a lot different. As basketball mentioned, I can't imagine Strozyk doesn't play some receiver next year. Also, Powell basically brings back 4 guys on the offensive line because Micael Ashe played a lot of snaps this year. They did lose their top 2 though on the OL.

The question marks really come on the defensive side of the ball. Coach Hawkins and Coach Lamb will have their hands full trying to replace the 6 guys they lost at inside and outside linebacker. Williams, Hammond, Agee, Mobley, Skeen, and Bunch are all gone and there doesn't appear to be a whole lot behind those guys. Scott needs to have another huge year, and some of those young guys are going to have to step up. My son tells me that the front runners to compete at inside backer next year are Jacob Story (a transfer who was inelibgible this year), Brody Husky, Josh Singleton, and Tyler Childers. He also said that OLB Donnie Tillman looked good in practice before suffering a season ending injury. The secondary should be strong. Sweat will probably stay at safety. He seemed to play well from what I saw of him at safety. Strozyk and Washington will be lock down at corner. I hear the coaches really like Mike Brown as well to compete for some playing time somehow.

I agree with you here, but not sure what is going to play out with the secondary. Dylan Sweat may stay at safety next year, and keep Montario and Strozyk on the corners, which would get the job done. Saying that the reason I thought Strozyk could be moved to safety is because he would be more involved. Teams would have a very hard time throwing the football deep, and throwing the football towards the middle of the field as safety in Powells defense acts a center fielder and is in charge of a much bigger part of the field then a corner. Teams would have to be cautious in where to throw the ball, and could force more teams to be conservative in the passing game. Also, Strozyk would be very involved in the run game as he would be coming up making a hit, where as he is less involved when playing corner because he is in charge of the deep ball on his side of the field and the run game towards his side of the field. Strozyk would be involved in every play as a safety, where as he would only be involved in some plays as a corner. The safety is going to be crucial next year with the lack of depth at LB and they will need someone who is going to be a sure tackler, someone who can read the field very well, and someone with good speed because there could be several times early season that the LB's miss their assignments due to lack of experience which would leave RB vs Saftey. I see Strozyk playing safety because I believe he is a player that the coaches will want involved in every play as he brings 4 years experience as a starter. Teams will be forced to attack Strozyk which should result in Powell's favor, where as if he was playing corner they could play away from him and take him out of the game. I have seen Strozyk every once and while and it looks like he is putting on quite a bit more size in his upperbody since his knee injury and he had pretty good size for a DB before, which means he would be able to lay some licks on people coming through the line. If I remember correctly Strozyk started safety as a freshman, so it wouldn't be completely new for him if he went back there again. They move Sweat to corner or may keep everything the same. I really don't know just looking at it from a coaches standpoint. Next year should be interesting and full of surprises.

Edited by basketball1234

• 1 month later...

They will finish like this: 1.Oakridge, 2.Powell, 3.Central, 4.Harden Valley, 5.Halls, 6.Campbell County, 7.Anderson County.... :D AC dont have a chance this year if I was from any of the other school, I would go ahead and mark AC week as a win....

Edited by Space3

They will finish like this: 1.Oakridge, 2.Powell, 3.Central, 4.Harden Valley, 5.Halls, 6.Campbell County, 7.Anderson County.... :D AC dont have a chance this year if I was from any of the other school, I would go ahead and mark AC week as a win....

Self edited. Reply in wrong thread.

Edited by HTV

Please separate Oak and Ridge....pet peeve lol...original poster did the same thing..grrr

Space ........Space Your spacing out on me. I assume the higher number means the best. You know like numbers between 1-7 where 7 being the best, 6th runner up etc. That sound more like space. I thought you were having an ADHD moment.

this may be the year, huh? I have heard that one before lol jk JP..I can see AC beating OR a few times over a period of time, but i don't ever see AC "ruling" Oak Ridge as you say it :)

Sweet:

OR has a great recruiter in Blade. Just the name OR get kids from local areas want to move and play for OR. This really hurts. AC does not have a diverse selection. They have locally very few schools to attract players. One unfortunately being Campbell County. As we briefly spoke about before. But I firmly believe AC will take out OR this year. AC is the team to look out for this year. Powell will have some rebuilding and the hiring of a coach and will be up and down in wins. I really think it all comes down to the big TV game of the year AC Versus Oak Ridge (notice how I separated the k from the R) : I am going out on a limb but I putting all my trust on my nephew and he know how upset I get if they do not win. LOL

Inhonestly I think Hardin Valley Oak Ridge AC and Karns followed byPowell, Campbell county and Central. Now with that in mind we have a bench mark set and AC knows what they have to do to change this. Of course you guys play Maryville and Farragut but Harden Valley and Karns and if you do not know how to play the pass by now Campbell county may add some excitement. I know there girls basketball team is doing a number and the boys almost beat OR.

Edited by jeopardyperil

Sweet:

OR has a great recruiter in Blade. Just the name OR get kids from local areas want to move and play for OR. This really hurts. AC does not have a diverse selection. They have locally very few schools to attract players. One unfortunately being Campbell County. As we briefly spoke about before. But I firmly believe AC will take out OR this year. AC is the team to look out for this year. Powell will have some rebuilding and the hiring of a coach and will be up and down in wins. I really think it all comes down to the big TV game of the year AC Versus Oak Ridge (notice how I separated the k from the R) : I am going out on a limb but I putting all my trust on my nephew and he know how upset I get if they do not win. LOL

Inhonestly I think Hardin Valley Oak Ridge AC and Karns followed byPowell, Campbell county and Central. Now with that in mind we have a bench mark set and AC knows what they have to do to change this. Of course you guys play Maryville and Farragut but Harden Valley and Karns and if you do not know how to play the pass by now Campbell county may add some excitement. I know there girls basketball team is doing a number and the boys almost beat OR.

Good recruiter? Jp if Blade was recruiting, he sure as heck aint doing a good job of it, cause we lost 4 games lol...Name me 2 kids on Oak Ridge's team he has "recruited"? If Oak ridge was recruiting, we would be playing for the Gold ball bro. Aint no recruiting going on, and never has at OR contrary to what people have said or have thunk over the years...Recruiting is a term people use when they are jealous of your success, people do it with Maryville and Alcoa all the time..They win, so they must "recruit" No recruiting going on in OR pal. It aint recruiting if the kids willingly want to come play for OR, and good luck with AC beating OR AT OR this year..Their will always be next year has become a famous saying in maverick land for the OR game lol If i were you i would wait to see how the year pans out right before the game, before i would make a prediciton of AC beating us, being that we completely throttled you at your own place last year... :bored:

Edited by SweetScience