Alcoa 2012

etnfball

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the expectations for the 2012 season? What will be the strengths and weaknesses of the team?

Its a little bit early for us to tell but Senior leadership should be good with 30 or so Seniors it should be a good year! The backfield will be good as always with Turbyfill, Crenshaw, Love, and the return of Coco(acl injury in preseason this past year)and a big QB in Wall.

• 4 weeks later...

Its a little bit early for us to tell but Senior leadership should be good with 30 or so Seniors it should be a good year! The backfield will be good as always with Turbyfill, Crenshaw, Love, and the return of Coco(acl injury in preseason this past year)and a big QB in Wall.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Alcoa was humbled last year against Austin-East, Greeneville, and CAK (in the 1st Meeting).

In their games against Maryville and CAK (in the 2nd Meeting) they came up "just short" in games that were highly contested and could have went either way.

Alcoa in 2011 just was not "HUNGRY" enough to be as good as the teams from 2004-2010 showed us time and time again. I look for the 2012 team to have an attitude about them that puts winning as the main priority.

The 2011 Alcoa team was successful but was also a team of turmoil. This year's team needs to be more like the teams of the past where the "star players" did the small things to ensure success for the good of the team.

Nobody is talking so I'll give Alcoa a shot in 2012:

OFFENSE

Wall will be the QB and the top receivers will be Dean and Ferguson. Koko will be the starting tailback and Turbyfill will be the fullback. Crenshaw, Love, and Tyson will also see ball carrying action. The offensive front will be led by Loy and Owenby.

DEFENSE

Braylen Young will be one of the state's top interior linemen. The linebackers will be among the best units in the state with Koko, Crenshaw, Turbyfill, Strissel, and Burchfield returning. I wouldn't be shocked if 1 of these guys makes the move to safety when all is said and done. Anthony is the team's top defensive back and returns.

I'd love to hear what Alcoa fans have to say about the 2012 version of the Tornadoes. They're being awfully quiet after years of constant talk!

I think Alcoa will be "hungrier" this year no doubt. After so much success for so long it is natural to have a "let down" year. But, I'm not sure the lack of "hunger" played as much a role in Alcoa's season as did injuries and less talent. Alcoa still had lots of talent, but simply could not replace the likes of Warren, Tyson, Talent, Isom, Evans, etc.... IMO Alcoa was still good enough to win state if they had gotten past CAK. Just like CAK was good enough the past few years to do the same but just couldn't get past the Tornadoes. Once again, I believe the 2 front runners for the state championship will come from Dist. 4 3A. Either Alcoa or CAK.

Injuries hurt Alcoa a lot last year. Alcoa will be good next year but not near as good as they were in 2009 and 2010. Watched all of Alcoa's State Title teams and none of them were close to being as good as the 2009 and 2010 teams were.

I agree with you Reb. 2009 (still had Robinson & Toney) and 2010 (moving "the beast" Warren to TB behind "the tank" Tyson) and then sprinkling in all that other talent like Evans, Tallent, Isom, etc... that just wasn't right..ha :) My Warriors may have earned a gold ball both years and certainly in 2010 if it hadn't been for Alcoa being uber strong those years. They have had some really great teams, especially when Cobb was there, but from top to bottom the 2009 and 2010 teams were off the chart.

I agree with you Reb. 2009 (still had Robinson & Toney) and 2010 (moving "the beast" Warren to TB behind "the tank" Tyson) and then sprinkling in all that other talent like Evans, Tallent, Isom, etc... that just wasn't right..ha :) My Warriors may have earned a gold ball both years and certainly in 2010 if it hadn't been for Alcoa being uber strong those years. They have had some really great teams, especially when Cobb was there, but from top to bottom the 2009 and 2010 teams were off the chart.

What is funny when Maryville lost to Alcoa those years some people laughed at Maryville for losing to a much smaller school. That small school would have kicked any teams butt Maryville played in 2009 and 2010. No one in the state could have stopped Alcoa from running the ball in 2010. When you had that formation where an Alcoa lineman was fullback with Tyson behind him and Warren was behind Tyson which high school team in Tennessee could stop them in short yardage situations? Nobody. A Alcoa coach that me and STARS knows real well told STARS back in 2007 that the Warren,Tyson class will be the best class to ever go through Alcoa. He was right.

Living with a former Alcoa player, we have had many debates over which Alcoa team was the best. I have argued in favor of the 2010 team as the best overall TEAM but he argues that the 2006 team that is littered with some of the best skill players (Cobb, Shiverdecker, Lanxter, Sommers, Sykes, Thompson) the area has seen in a long time. For some offseason chatter, I'm curious to what Alcoa supporters, or people that have seen more Alcoa football than I have, think about this topic. Which is the best Alcoa team since John Reid's first championship team in 2004?

Edited by CoachLogan74

Living with a former Alcoa player, we have had many debates over which Alcoa team was the best. I have argued in favor of the 2010 team as the best overall TEAM but he argues that the 2006 team that is littered with some of the best skill players (Cobb, Shiverdecker, Lanxter, Sommers, Sykes, Thompson) the area has seen in a long time. For some offseason chatter, I'm curious to what Alcoa supporters, or people that have seen more Alcoa football than I have, think about this topic. Which is the best Alcoa team since John Reid's first championship team in 2004?

I have seen all of Alcoa's state title teams and the 2009 and 2010 teams were by far their best ones. Maryville had a pretty good team in 2009 but they were killed by Alcoa. Had they played 10 times that year Alcoa would have won all of them. Alcoa had a great team in 2006 but they lost twice to 2 great teams. Maryville beat Alcoa in 2006 despite not having their best tailback(Tank Baker). Maryville also played a lot of the 2nd half without Tyler Maples. Maryville still outgained Alcoa 2-1 and doubled them in 1st downs. Maryville won 6A in 2010 but lost to Alcoa. Maryville played well but Alcoa was just better.

The big difference between Alcoa's 2004-2008 teams and the 2009,2010 teams were the physicality of the teams. Maryville won the LOS in the games 2004-2008 and were the better team. In 2009 and 2010 Alcoa was more physical on the LOS.