Brent Hubbs of Volquest said this on Sportstalk

REBELRON

The week after the TSSAA State Title games a caller asked Brent Hubbs on Sportstalk if UT tried to recruit Jay Guilermo. The caller said he watched Guilermo play all year long and was impressed with him. The caller told Brent with the snapping problems UT has had they should be recruiting Guilermo.

Brent told the caller that he thinks Guilermo is a very good player. He also told the caller that Guilermo is going to Clemson because that is his dream school. I like Brent Hubbs a lot and think he does a great job.

Brent also told the caller that UT's coaching staff evaluated Jay Guilermo and they thought Guilermo wasn't good enough to play at UT. I was livid. Not at Brent Hubbs but at UT's coaching staff. What in the heck do they need to see? I saw a kid in Jay Guilermo who played his guts out every game. I saw a kid who was driving Whitehaven defenders to the turf 10-15 yards downfield almost every down. I saw a kid who never quits on a play. I see a kid who never has a bad snap to the quarterback.

Has anyone seen UT's offensive line? They were freaking terrible. A lot of those guys took play off. They loafed. You have centers that can't snap the ball to the quarterback. UT's OL couldn't get a push on Kentucky or Montana. Much less the top SEC teams.

I am not getting on here and saying Guilermo is the next Mike Webster but for UT Coaches to think Guilermo can't play at UT is crazy. Of course their track record for evaluating talent doesn't look too good.

The week after the TSSAA State Title games a caller asked Brent Hubbs on Sportstalk if UT tried to recruit Jay Guilermo. The caller said he watched Guilermo play all year long and was impressed with him. The caller told Brent with the snapping problems UT has had they should be recruiting Guilermo.

Brent told the caller that he thinks Guilermo is a very good player. He also told the caller that Guilermo is going to Clemson because that is his dream school. I like Brent Hubbs a lot and think he does a great job.

Brent also told the caller that UT's coaching staff evaluated Jay Guilermo and they thought Guilermo wasn't good enough to play at UT. I was livid. Not at Brent Hubbs but at UT's coaching staff. What in the heck do they need to see? I saw a kid in Jay Guilermo who played his guts out every game. I saw a kid who was driving Whitehaven defenders to the turf 10-15 yards downfield almost every down. I saw a kid who never quits on a play. I see a kid who never has a bad snap to the quarterback.

Has anyone seen UT's offensive line? They were freaking terrible. A lot of those guys took play off. They loafed. You have centers that can't snap the ball to the quarterback. UT's OL couldn't get a push on Kentucky or Montana. Much less the top SEC teams.

I am not getting on here and saying Guilermo is the next Mike Webster but for UT Coaches to think Guilermo can't play at UT is crazy. Of course their track record for evaluating talent doesn't look too good.

Icould not agree more with you about the recruiting at Tennessee. Some of the players i see leaving this state alone and going to USC, Auburn, Alabama Ole Miss and especially Kentucky and we dont even give them a sniff. That's B.S. We should not be losing the instate kids to anybody. This is Tennessee after all, most of these kids have dreamed there entire life about wearing the orange and we don't even care. I've seen several kids over the past decade who should have been in orange and never got a look. Not just this coaching staff but both the previous. Don't know the answer but if you've seen kids in this state who you think should be in Knoxville i hope you send all the video you can. Everybody needs to and maybe these idiots will take a look.

Icould not agree more with you about the recruiting at Tennessee. Some of the players i see leaving this state alone and going to USC, Auburn, Alabama Ole Miss and especially Kentucky and we dont even give them a sniff. That's B.S. We should not be losing the instate kids to anybody. This is Tennessee after all, most of these kids have dreamed there entire life about wearing the orange and we don't even care. I've seen several kids over the past decade who should have been in orange and never got a look. Not just this coaching staff but both the previous. Don't know the answer but if you've seen kids in this state who you think should be in Knoxville i hope you send all the video you can. Everybody needs to and maybe these idiots will take a look.

UT signs Kevin Revis who never plays a down back in 2009. But! They overlook Will Jackson who starts 3 years for Georgia Tech. Saw both of them vs Maryville in 2008. Revis was a non factor in a playoff game. Maryville scrimmaged Farragut earlier that year and Will Jackson was killing Maryville's defensive players. A MONSTER.

RebullRon ewe nose these Ewe Tea coaches no O-Linemun....(Knott)...And tha runnin' gaim....Heck thay cood KNOTT run tha bawl on nobodee this yeer....Buffalow, Middull Tinnersee, and Montannur encludid...

And Hiestand's O-Line haz got wurser evur yeer...Big, slow, stand strait up, and git shuvved backurds...Now eye no why tha Shacago Bares wanted rid ov him...

Heck Big Jay iz bettur off att Klimpson...Eye woodun't want coaches (hoo are laist inn tha SEC East and haz tha wurst run blockin' O-Line eye've evur seed att Ewe Tee) coachin' a good playur like Jay and gettin' him intwo all tham bad habbits ennyhow... :popcorneater:

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Jay rated the #1 center in America by ESPN, or anther recruitung service. Not saying that being rated #1 by ESPN makes him great but it's obvious that he is good enough for UT if he is getting that much consideration.

As for UT.....Jay was a Clemson lock. UT would have been wasting their time trying to recruit him....interested or not.

The U. T. mentality is this, let's go out to the other states and get as much of their talent as we can then in the 11th hour we'll offer those TN kids and they will jump at the chance because U T figures they all want to go to U T because they have grown up here. These are also the same people who do not feel like Patton Robinette has played quarterback long enough to be a good one...???????????????????

Unfortunately...the days you described are now over. With new coaching staffs at other schools both in state and border states, the excitement level and momentum of these schools shown to Tennessee's finest high school student athletes are indeed enough to sway them away from Knoxville's hill. Like it or not....agree or disagree....it will continue to be an "uphill battle" recruiting kids to Knoxville. Some progress MUST be shown to excite and interest high schoolers enough to want to go to UT! The stadium itself is no longer enough!

Lastly, I too was a respecter and follower of Brent Hubbs writings. However, given last week's article in which he deliberately portrayed a student athletes intentions inaccurately....I now have my doubts about Brent Hubbs and his ability to relay accurate information to Vol fans or football fans in general.

ALso, let it be known that there is an assistant coach on UT's staff that should never be allowed on the recruiting trail. His conduct and his communications "hopefully" does not reflect the overall attitude of the University of Tennessee, it's coaching staff, administrators, or other areas of the athletic department.

I would take anything Brnet Hubbs has to say with a grain of salt. He is still butt hurt because he hasn't had the access to the program he feels he is entitled to since "The Great Pumpkin" was fired. He has gained a reputation by some to now throw you know what against the wall and see if it sticks. Also he takes every opportunity to take subtle jabs at the staff since he has been distanced a bit. The fact is that Jay is a great player and when he commited to Clemson it was over and everyone knew it. So why should the staff continue to reach for him when they have a less than 1% chance of getting him and there, are much better players available at the time, like D.J. Humphries and Jelks. They haven't signed a OL in this class yet and won't unless an absolute must take comes their way. My point here is that the coaches perspective and what Hubbs reports may not necessarily be the same thing. In this case I promise you it is not. Dooley and staff know Jay can play at UT and be a valuable asset. However, If everyone in high school waited around on the slim chance that the prettiest girl in school will go to prom with them, there will be a lot of lonely boys on prom night. Just saying.

I would take anything Brnet Hubbs has to say with a grain of salt. He is still butt hurt because he hasn't had the access to the program he feels he is entitled to since "The Great Pumpkin" was fired. He has gained a reputation by some to now throw you know what against the wall and see if it sticks. Also he takes every opportunity to take subtle jabs at the staff since he has been distanced a bit. The fact is that Jay is a great player and when he commited to Clemson it was over and everyone knew it. So why should the staff continue to reach for him when they have a less than 1% chance of getting him and there, are much better players available at the time, like D.J. Humphries and Jelks. They haven't signed a OL in this class yet and won't unless an absolute must take comes their way. My point here is that the coaches perspective and what Hubbs reports may not necessarily be the same thing. In this case I promise you it is not. Dooley and staff know Jay can play at UT and be a valuable asset. However, If everyone in high school waited around on the slim chance that the prettiest girl in school will go to prom with them, there will be a lot of lonely boys on prom night. Just saying.

I can see Humphries being better, but Jelks?!?!? If you believe that he's better that Guillermo then I want some of what you've been smoking on..

UT signs Kevin Revis who never plays a down back in 2009. But! They overlook Will Jackson who starts 3 years for Georgia Tech. Saw both of them vs Maryville in 2008. Revis was a non factor in a playoff game. Maryville scrimmaged Farragut earlier that year and Will Jackson was killing Maryville's defensive players. A MONSTER.

I never figured that one out they also passed on Brandon McLeroy the year before he and Revis played at Rhea co and Brandon was head and sholders better. dont guess it hurt McLeroy he went on to be a four year starter at MTSU but really wanted to be at UT. (turned down offers from other SEC schools)

I can see Humphries being better, but Jelks?!?!? If you believe that he's better that Guillermo then I want some of what you've been smoking on..

Out of all of that, that is all you got from that. Wow, that was nice! Truth be told Jay is probably better that Humphries RIGHT NOW but, guess what recruiting is often done on potential as well. Of course you probably already knew that. Jelks and Humphries are right now both undersized but, their measureables make them better long term prospects. I'll give you an example, Chris Donald vs Patrick Willis. How did that one turn out?

Edited by dcballas

Out of all of that, that is all you got from that. Wow, that was nice! Truth be told Jay is probably better that Humphries RIGHT NOW but, guess what recruiting is often done on potential as well. Of course you probably already knew that. Jelks and Humphries are right now both undersized but, their measureables make them better long term prospects. I'll give you an example, Chris Donald vs Patrick Willis. How did that one turn out?

I'm not questioning you on Humphries, so I have no clue why you brought him into the equation. I'm just repeating what you said that Jelks was better than Guillermo... Isn't that what you posted?? From what I seen of him in the title game agaist Powell he wasn't all that.

And no I didn't "already know that"...