Maryville QB Patton Robinette To Enroll At Vanderbilt Tomorrow

pking34

I think Coach Franklin prioritizes Tennessee players and any Tennesssee youngster that has SEC talent will be getting a lot of attention from Franklin---- of VU's 20 current commits, 6 are from Tennessee (Patton Robinette, Brian Kimbrow, Caleb Azubike, Barrett Gouger, Corey Batey, Andrew Jelks). Kimbrow's the State's #1 ranked prospect, and i think all of them are in the top 20. And VU's still working at least 3-4 other in-state prospects that I know of.

And Franklin's now being paid enough (3 million a year) that anyone that wants to lure him from Nashville better back up the Brinks truck---- and he now sets the assistants salaries, and every facility upgrade you could ask for is on the way. VU had a large spike in applications after the 2008 bowl game, and the administration has concluded that quality football is good for business. Once Franklin got bowl-eligible in Season 1, they were quick to break the bank to keep him and give him everything he needs.

• Upvote 1

Academically you are correct . Overall they are as competitive as kentucky in all sports or south Carolina or Georgia... Top ranked baseball team and regular top 20 basketball team... Maybe just maybe a future top 20 football team . If you use your analogy Stanford and duke would also be in the ivy league. If stanford can recruit smart kids to play and be a top ranked team so can Vanderbilt

1reason vandy is in the SEC and 1 reason only ! $$$$, need to be in the ivy league !!

Academically you are correct . Overall they are as competitive as kentucky in all sports or south Carolina or Georgia... Top ranked baseball team and regular top 20 basketball team... Maybe just maybe a future top 20 football team . If you use your analogy Stanford and duke would also be in the ivy league. If stanford can recruit smart kids to play and be a top ranked team so can Vanderbilt

1reason vandy is in the SEC and 1 reason only ! $$$$, need to be in the ivy league !!

Although my degree isn't from UT, I've been a Vols fan for as long as I can remember. If Franklin can take that Vanderbilt program and make it competitive consistently WITH OUR HOMEGROWN TALENT, I might legitimately start to either change my allegiance completely, or I'll be pulling pretty dang hard for two different programs. Hope Franklin keeps them heading in the right direction. And if so, I hope they can hang on to him.

I am a life Vols fan like you and I feel the same way, the only problem in all this excitement is this very thing; he is becoming very attractive to bigger, more established programs.....

Good pick up for Vandy and VERY smart move by Robinett. Undergrad at Vandy with a smooth transition right into one of the best medical schools in the country.

Now as to Vandy being in the SEC, what Tn school would you all suggest it be replaced with? Memphis, MTSU? Granted Vandy and Tn is not Ala and Auburn, but they are ours! Better than Miss and Miss State at least! :roflol:

Good pick up for Vandy and VERY smart move by Robinett. Undergrad at Vandy with a smooth transition right into one of the best medical schools in the country.

Now as to Vandy being in the SEC, what Tn school would you all suggest it be replaced with? Memphis, MTSU? Granted Vandy and Tn is not Ala and Auburn, but they are ours! Better than Miss and Miss State at least! :roflol:

Vanderbilt is just as much a part of the SEC as is Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc.! As a matter of fact, no one school in particular is any more or less important than another. All of the schools I mentioned as well as a few others are charter members of the SEC and have been actively involved in the success and growth of the conference since 1932. Many fail to realize the far reaching aspects of the conference even outside of football. Of the 8 schools to reach the College World Series in 2011, 3 of them were from the SEC while a 4th school is now set to join. 2 of these 3 teams Vanderbilt and Florida were charter members of the SEC. The idea that a school "doesn't belong" carries no merit whatsoever. True, Kentucky traditionally doesn't compete year in year out for the SEC East title in football...but could you imagine the conference without them? Ole Miss even? Those who make such suggestions have very limited knowledge of the overall landscape which is collegiate athletics...especially as it pertains to the SEC!

The fact is that Vanderbilt has been profiting from all the other SEC team's bowl trips. The SEC divides up the bowl money and distributes it to all teams. Vanderbilt has only played in 5 bowl games ever, so they have mostly been takers while contributing very little. I think the SEC keeps them around to raise the academic standings of the league.

They will never be competitive on a consistent basis in SEC football. The best they can hope for is to get to a bowl game once or twice a decade. They can get a few good players, but not enough to fill an 85-man roster. As the good starters get hurt throughout the season, an increasing number of non-SEC caliber players fill those slots.

It is good that Vanderbilt is getting some top in-state recruits, but most years that means there are 30 players across the nation that are better at each position, and they are going to 6 or 7 of the other SEC schools. I'm not hating; it is just reality.

The worst thing that happens is he loses several football games in nice venues (not Vandy), and comes out with a $250,000 education for free. Not a bad gig.

Edited by ThePunisher

You are correct Punisher that Vandy has been profiting....err raping the SEC teams that participate and earn bowl revenues for many...many....many years. Always having their greedy hands out while virtually adding NOTHING to the til.

Prez...the answer to your questions are YES......I do know why Patton ended up at Vandy and Franklin is a greasy car salesman.

The fact is that Vanderbilt has been profiting from all the other SEC team's bowl trips. The SEC divides up the bowl money and distributes it to all teams. Vanderbilt has only played in 5 bowl games ever, so they have mostly been takers while contributing very little. I think the SEC keeps them around to raise the academic standings of the league.

They will never be competitive on a consistent basis in SEC football. The best they can hope for is to get to a bowl game once or twice a decade. They can get a few good players, but not enough to fill an 85-man roster. As the good starters get hurt throughout the season, an increasing number of non-SEC caliber players fill those slots.

It is good that Vanderbilt is getting some top in-state recruits, but most years that means there are 30 players across the nation that are better at each position, and they are going to 6 or 7 of the other SEC schools. I'm not hating; it is just reality.

The worst thing that happens is he loses several football games in nice venues (not Vandy), and comes out with a $250,000 education for free. Not a bad gig.

I am not even a Vandy fan but statements like this are ridiculous; you state it like it is fact and regardless what prior history tells us, you do have no idea if the trend will continue or not. Franklin has done both a great job recruiting and coaching and you might as well call all college recruiters "greasy car salesman" b/c they all do the same. The difference is Bama and LSU have the name/prestige of their schools to rely on to get top talent. What Franklin has done w/o that advantage is well quite impressive and to bash him for it is also ridiculous.....

Edited by Kevin38

You are correct Punisher that Vandy has been profiting....err raping the SEC teams that participate and earn bowl revenues for many...many....many years. Always having their greedy hands out while virtually adding NOTHING to the til.

Prez...the answer to your questions are YES......I do know why Patton ended up at Vandy and Franklin is a greasy car salesman.

And your words make you a typcial "UT sounding" fan! "We" didn't get that one so "let's bash the coach and program" that did!

James Franklin should be good news for any fan of Tennessee HS football that feels (and I've seen this sentiment expressed on this board OFTEN) that Tennessee's best HS football players haven't gotten the proper respect in recruitment. Tennessee's best HS players now have a choice in terms of playing in a quality football program at a quality school in America's best conference----- that doesn't require them to LEAVE TENNESSEE.

And if you're a University of Tennessee fan who feels UT should pay more attention to the top players in our own backyard, this should be good news for you too----- because now Tennessee HAS to pay attention.