MBA coverup exposed

newsoftheworldus

There have always been concerns about Goia's management style. At Darlington, he was called Napoleon because he obviously is a frustrated, little man. At MBA, as mentioned, most of the departing faculty say they no longer wanted to work in the toxic enviroment that exists at MBA. If one disagrees with Goia, you will pay in some way as he is threatened when challenged and resorts to excessive passive-aggressive behavior. Students report the same thing. David Pack, Ingle and others would not consider coaching there as long as Goia is there. Here, Goia and McGugin share similar traits. Both are known to exhibit bully behavior and both do not like to have their shortcomings exposed. And there is no way that Paranoia Goia did not know what was happening in that Financial Aid, Finance and Admissions Offices.

I did not imply that MBA alumni are a part of this mess and are not angry. What I am saying is that I have not had one conversation with an alum who has not immediately said (using Jimmy Webb's words) that MBA's actions to pay were "morally appropriate and laudable," but did cross the line. I think this is a copout. Again, Dan is on tape promising things to a recruit's mother that MBA could not do, but he says whatever it takes to get a recruit to come. This was not a charity case here. In other words, the MBA community will convince itself that though their actions broke some rules, they were being compassionate.And no-the checks and money were not from MBA, but from board members?!! As Jimmy Webb says, none of this has to do with the MBA administartion! Spin it Jimmy..Spin it MBA. THat's an important disticntion because if MBA realizes that what has happened here is something that maybe Ricky would do, that's unbearable. Sadly, MBA has polluted high school sports .Two board members told me that there were over 20 instances of money to entering 7th graders., but that they would go unreported because 7th grade is not under TSSAA jurisdiction. This is very deep and systematic.

This is news in NAshville and in the newspaper because NAshville remains "small." Secondly, MBA puts "gentleman, scholar, athlete " on every conceivable surface. It prints all of its accomplishments on the back of fan paddles that are passed out at football games. It can't seem to help itself. Some of us grown men never outgrow it. MBA has also degraded and pointed its finger at every other school with a smugness that I never remember. Now I know why MBA feels the need to convince everyone that they are simply better today, because they are actually trying to convince themselves. Gentleman do not cheat and lie about it. I'm embarrassed and the community is gloating over their demise.

Could not agree more. Excellent post. Spot on.

At issue here though with all this is how insulated Gioia has made himself with the Board of Trustees. Everytime an "old guard" member quit during the past 10-15 years he replaced him with one of his boys. So essentially the board is "stacked" in his favor. Oh, and when one of his "boys" got named to the board the all of the sudden the son of the new board member got selected to go to Europe with MBA's study abroad program (one example). How ironic ! We'll see how far that loyalty is extended very soon.

I did not imply that MBA alumni are a part of this mess and are not angry. What I am saying is that I have not had one conversation with an alum who has not immediately said (using Jimmy Webb's words) that MBA's actions to pay were "morally appropriate and laudable," but did cross the line. I think this is a copout. Again, Dan is on tape promising things to a recruit's mother that MBA could not do, but he says whatever it takes to get a recruit to come. This was not a charity case here. In other words, the MBA community will convince itself that though their actions broke some rules, they were being compassionate.And no-the checks and money were not from MBA, but from board members?!! As Jimmy Webb says, none of this has to do with the MBA administartion! Spin it Jimmy..Spin it MBA. THat's an important disticntion because if MBA realizes that what has happened here is something that maybe Ricky would do, that's unbearable. Sadly, MBA has polluted high school sports .Two board members told me that there were over 20 instances of money to entering 7th graders., but that they would go unreported because 7th grade is not under TSSAA jurisdiction. This is very deep and systematic.

This is news in NAshville and in the newspaper because NAshville remains "small." Secondly, MBA puts "gentleman, scholar, athlete " on every conceivable surface. It prints all of its accomplishments on the back of fan paddles that are passed out at football games. It can't seem to help itself. Some of us grown men never outgrow it. MBA has also degraded and pointed its finger at every other school with a smugness that I never remember. Now I know why MBA feels the need to convince everyone that they are simply better today, because they are actually trying to convince themselves. Gentleman do not cheat and lie about it. I'm embarrassed and the community is gloating over their demise.

I didn't think you were "tarring us all with the same brush," but I did want to make it clear that there's a lot of people who are not in agreement with the public statements. As to the initial incident, I think that the collection of the money for the family in question was simply an altruistic gesture. Where it leaves the tracks is when the money makes it to the school and is disbursed by one of the school's agents. And it is utterly inconceivable that the coach wouldn't know that his actions were a violation of rules. As to the other incidents, the alumni have been kept in the dark. Almost nothing has been disclosed to us, in accord with the general legal advice to say nothing. While it may limit liability, it also reeks of cover-up to the court of public opinion. Of course, given the quality of the pronouncements we've seen thus far, maybe silence was less damaging.

Edited by KWoodroof

I think it is time for people to know that the $1500.00 check given to Aaron Simonis was repaid to the school several years ago. It is sad to all who know this family to see how this situation continues to go on and on bringing pain to all those involved including the McGugins. It is time for all of us to move on.

It is a HUGE shame that two more families from Lebanon are going to be suffering now tnat the City Paper and the Tennessean have published their names totally unnecessarily.

How do you know so much about this? Are you family? If you are I don't see how you can look other parents in the eye. Why did the check go back to the school if it came from someone else? So many unanswered questions. I would like names of MBA board members that have been stated as knowing what went on.

These kind of penalties for a check given to 7th graders?

No

This whole situation reminds me of the old saying he who lies with Dogs comes out with Fleas. First of all no school in NAshville has as much tradition as MBA. They truly have a legacy of excellence. In fact I believe it rivals anyone in the south. However whenever one of the best jobs in state and southern region is awarded to someone who as a TE coach the previous year basically was awarded the job based on finances. Everyone knows the name got him the job. Situations like this do not ever workout. College coaches in the past interviewed at MBA for HC job in football. It started with money and it ended with money. Hopefully MBA can move forward and restore its dignity.

• Upvote 1

As a BA alum, glad to see the TSSAA recruiting spotlight is off us for the next 10-15 years! :rolleyes: The big BA ticket scandal for letting a couple of 7th graders in to a football game and sending out a letter to already enrolled students about spring practice at BA is chump change to these findings. Seriously....as an MBA fan as well and having gone to a many of MBA games over the years to pull for them....this is very disappointing....loss of institutional control at a fine school. Hard to believe a school that has been around as long as MBA (long before the TSSAA came into existence) and as many brilliant people with their eyes over the program as well as I am sure a crack attorney/attorneys.....were supposedly ignorant of the TSSAA rules. The rules broken are as old as time.....NO PAYMENTS TO PLAYERS FAMILIES....No paying for kids tuition other than your own out of "consideration and being kind".....no playing athletes who were behind on their payments...

I have always believed that if it doesn't feel right....check and double check...your conscience knows if something is wrong unless you are an outright sociopath. MBA administration not checking things out before people making payments, etc sounds VERY fishy..... :bored:

MBA is a great school. I am just shocked. I have always believed in the Nashville area, they set the standard in class, and I guess I am a little let down. :|

Edited by Brandon100

I did not imply that MBA alumni are a part of this mess and are not angry. What I am saying is that I have not had one conversation with an alum who has not immediately said (using Jimmy Webb's words) that MBA's actions to pay were "morally appropriate and laudable," but did cross the line. I think this is a copout. Again, Dan is on tape promising things to a recruit's mother that MBA could not do, but he says whatever it takes to get a recruit to come. This was not a charity case here. In other words, the MBA community will convince itself that though their actions broke some rules, they were being compassionate.

I have spoken with MBA alums of all ages over the past week, from all over the country, and I have yet to speak with anyone who has offered up the argument "well, we were just being compassionate, so it's no big deal." I don't know how on earth you would make a conclusion like that about "the MBA community," but it's completely ridiculous.

I have spoken with people who follow the program closely, and with people who haven't watched a game (or cared) since they graduatated, and the only universal feelings I've encountered are anger and embarassment.

• Upvote 1

I have spoken with MBA alums of all ages over the past week, from all over the country, and I have yet to speak with anyone who has offered up the argument "well, we were just being compassionate, so it's no big deal." I don't know how on earth you would make a conclusion like that about "the MBA community," but it's completely ridiculous.

I have spoken with people who follow the program closely, and with people who haven't watched a game (or cared) since they graduatated, and the only universal feelings I've encountered are anger and embarassment.

I think it just depends on the sample of folks you talk to. I know I ran into a few people who stated "everyone else does it why don't they get them too ?". Several others said "we were just helping people who needed it during hard times". Other comments were "why is it that you can help out a regular student with financial assistance and not athletes?". (Ummm....because it is a rule that's why and if there were no rules then the playing fiels would be so unbalanced that it would be even more of joke than it is now in some cases.). Again, all depends on the age bracket, how much they care about sports, and how informed they are about actual rules regarding financial aid.

Edited by truthhurts

I think it just depends on the sample of folks you talk to. I know I ran into a few people who stated "everyone else does it why don't they get them too ?". Several others said "we were just helping people who needed it during hard times". Other comments were "why is it that you can help out a regular student with financial assistance and not athletes?". (Ummm....because it is a rule that's why and if there were no rules then the playing fiels would be so unbalanced that it would be even more of joke than it is now in some cases.). Again, all depends on the age bracket, how much they care about sports, and how informed they are about actual rules regarding financial aid.

How much of this is simply an attack on the former coach and his family as much as MBA. In other words this probably could have been swept under the rug or not reported as it happens in some form at most D2's.

How much of this is simply an attack on the former coach and his family as much as MBA. In other words this probably could have been swept under the rug or not reported as it happens in some form at most D2's.

That is almost comical. The former coach brought this on himself and the school. It is obvious from the TSSAA letter and the results published that the infractions were all football player related and matched the years he was employed. Could it have been swept under the rug? I am sure a less than ethical administration could have done that

That is almost comical. The former coach brought this on himself and the school. It is obvious from the TSSAA letter and the results published that the infractions were all football player related and matched the years he was employed. Could it have been swept under the rug? I am sure a less than ethical administration could have done that

inapproprate203....you have made your intentions are clear with every post. You mean nothing more than to take shot after shot at the former coach. You offer nothing other than juvenile cheap shots. Let me guess...the coach was 'too hard', or what was another one...oh yeah, the coach 'didn't make it fun'. Hundreds of other players and parents 'had fun', but you keep surfacing.

The only indisputable fact in this entire MBA episode is that the father of a player, Chris Simonis, went complaining to the headmaster because his son was on the bench...3 YEARS later. Believe me when I say the entire MBA community would like to see you go away.

inapproprate203....you have made your intentions are clear with every post. You mean nothing more than to take shot after shot at the former coach. You offer nothing other than juvenile cheap shots. Let me guess...the coach was 'too hard', or what was another one...oh yeah, the coach 'didn't make it fun'. Hundreds of other players and parents 'had fun', but you keep surfacing.

The only indisputable fact in this entire MBA episode is that the father of a player, Chris Simonis, went complaining to the headmaster because his son was on the bench...3 YEARS later. Believe me when I say the entire MBA community would like to see you go away.

Do the facts strike a nerve? Last I knew a parent could "complain" to administration at any time. There has to be something much bigger than that to get the TSSAA involved and sanctions brought down.

Say what you will, but the FACTS tell the story, get over it.