reclassification

ballbasher30

I think you are correct. The public schools in Chattanooga area that compete and win in certain sports are the "wons" that put the most recources into sports they care about. Bradley County cares a great deal about wrestling, and they win at wrestling because they put a lot of resources into it. Soddy-Daisy cares a great deal about softball. Most of the public schools surrounding us care a great deal about football. They compete and win even against the mighty NDs and Silverdales of the world. That's where their resources go. Soccer is different in that schools do not have to put a lot of resources into it because of the club system. The club system takes care of the resource problem. So, if you want your school to compete, invest in your local club system. You will see a difference 3 - 5 years from now.

So much to add here...so little time. On second thought, maybe we can keep the four classes of divisions and then just have a simple 4-game playoff to crown the true state champion each year.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2012/jul/17/tssaa-board-quick-to-keep-multiplier/?sportspreps

The Boyd-Buchanon football coach makes some good points:

"Some of the public school folks want to talk about recruiting, but we've never even had a kid sign with an [NCAA] FBS program, so if we're recruiting, we're the worst recruiters in the country," Boyd-Buchanan football coach Grant Reynolds said. "We lose kids every year to area public schools because not everybody can afford our tuition ($8,500 annually). Most of our kids have been on our campus since elementary school, and we tell the parents that once they reach high school, we can't give financial aid.

"We also have grade-point requirements and conduct policy that could keep kids out of school. We can't just take anybody. If the majority of public schools and the state keep pushing us, eventually I could see there being a complete split, which would be too bad. It could even cause all private schools to just start their own organization.

"It's all about winning and jealousy of some programs. Hey, I lost 95-3 to Tyner as the defensive coordinator here, so I know sports is about peaks and valleys. Instead of worrying about which school is winning and why, I would just say go back and work harder the next day to get there."

The Boyd-Buchanan coach made terrible points if your view is no complete split is needed. If all his athletes are paying tuition then it means they have parents who actually care an education. Whether they could still get that education at a good public school is irrelevant, they care enough to do what they think is the best way. Those parents that care about the education, as opposed to a number at public schools, will also support their kids in athletics and most likely have brought them up as confident, hard working leaders. Yes there are tons of those in public schools, too, but on the average, I can't see it being nearly as many.

Next, he mentions trouble makers or students not making the grades being moved out, that also helps keep Boyd playing in a small class where are large majority of the students remaining are the types who will do well in the classroom and on athletic fields. Saying schools just "should work harder" sounds petty and has been repeated on here a lot, makes me think he is a regular CoachT poster. All schools and teams will work hard, the organizing and how much an athlete "gets it" is a big part of the total team success. And as for "peaks and valleys", the 95 point total came in 1997, not many valleys for BB since.

Edited by Indian

http://www.timesfree...er/?sportspreps

The Boyd-Buchanon football coach makes some good points:

"Some of the public school folks want to talk about recruiting, but we've never even had a kid sign with an [NCAA] FBS program, so if we're recruiting, we're the worst recruiters in the country," Boyd-Buchanan football coach Grant Reynolds said. "We lose kids every year to area public schools because not everybody can afford our tuition ($8,500 annually). Most of our kids have been on our campus since elementary school, and we tell the parents that once they reach high school, we can't give financial aid.

"We also have grade-point requirements and conduct policy that could keep kids out of school. We can't just take anybody. If the majority of public schools and the state keep pushing us, eventually I could see there being a complete split, which would be too bad. It could even cause all private schools to just start their own organization.

"It's all about winning and jealousy of some programs. Hey, I lost 95-3 to Tyner as the defensive coordinator here, so I know sports is about peaks and valleys. Instead of worrying about which school is winning and why, I would just say go back and work harder the next day to get there."

Publics are just gonna keep crying. popcorneater.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...