So they caught MBA...

KPowers55

For any other school to fall, they are going to have to determine that the school's Business Office administrators and staff either were not educated on the TSSAA financial aid rules and then acted inappropriately or knew about the TSSAA rules and willfully disregarded them.

That seems to be the crux of MBA's problem. It's a mistake, but not a dishonest mistake -- at least in terms of the financial aid violations. The recruiting violations are murkier but also seem to reflect a genuine misunderstanding of the rule against recruiting middle school kids.

Overall, no ill-intent on the part of MBA, there has been an effort to rectify the problems. Thus, only probation of a "verbal wrist-slap" nature moving forward.

The pain is the history that must be sacrificed.

3 Comments:

1)This is an absolute lack of institutional control. It happened under Brad Gioia's watch. He should resign effective the end of the year - the honorable thing to do. He will still be "hireable" to an extent somewhere else. MBA needs a clean slate. New AD. New headmaster. New vision (or at least back to the vision that has worked for over 100 years). Period.

2)Generally when these things happen schools like to take others down with them. I am guessing there are some nervous folks out on Highway 100 right now. The guilty start "chirping" and the dam breaks loose.

3)To be honest - I think they got off light all things considered

Edited by truthhurts

The Tennessean has posted the letter from the TSSAA with an article on the infractions and sanctions. You can read it at:

http://www.tennessean.com/interactive/article/99999999/SPORTS07/120113010/DOCUMENT-TSSAA-letter-Montgomery-Bell-Academy-outlining-infractions

The Tennessean has also posted a written response by MBA to the TSSAA report and sanctions. You can read it at:

http://www.tennessean.com/interactive/article/99999999/SPORTS07/120113016/DOCUMENT-MBA-response-TSSAA-sanctions

The MBA response contains the following statement:

"However, notwithstanding the current trend in high school athletics, MBA will continue to focus on the ideal of Gentleman,Scholar, Athlete, and will strive to keep all athletics in proper perspective".

".......the current trend in high school athletics....."? Hmmmm. I am left wondering what or who that might be in reference to. Is MBA speaking generally or specifically there? Any ideas? <_<:rolleyes:

Edited by BuckLateral

MBA, in their press release has in bold letters the following statement:

"Importantly, however, the TSSAA found that none of these instances involved an intentional attempt by anyone connected with MBA to circumvent the Tuition and Financial Aid Rule or to gain any unfair athletic advantage in any sport."

I find this comical. No, they did not get a direct advantage intentionally by having someone pay for the tuition of the those 2 seventh graders. They just wanted to get them in school any way possible before another D2 school offered them more "incentives" for them to go to their school. Once they had them on campus and (several years later) when these two students were on varsity teams THEN they would have a direct athletic advantage because of their actions. Anyway you wanna spin it, Gioia, any way you wanna spin it.

Do they think people are that dumb to accept that rationalization ???

MBA, in their press release has in bold letters the following statement:

"Importantly, however, the TSSAA found that none of these instances involved an intentional attempt by anyone connected with MBA to circumvent the Tuition and Financial Aid Rule or to gain any unfair athletic advantage in any sport."

I find this comical. No, they did not get a direct advantage intentionally by having someone pay for the tuition of the those 2 seventh graders. They just wanted to get them in school any way possible before another D2 school offered them more "incentives" for them to go to their school. Once they had them on campus and (several years later) when these two students were on varsity teams THEN they would have a direct athletic advantage because of their actions. Anyway you wanna spin it, Gioia, any way you wanna spin it.

Do they think people are that dumb to accept that rationalization ???

It's embarassing...I'm embarassed for them for writing this letter. Not just this part; the entire letter.

It's embarassing...I'm embarassed for them for writing this letter. Not just this part; the entire letter.

I'd expect nothing less from you, and the MBA people I know. I have a great deal of respect for MBA the school, the institution, and the family. This is a sad day, and you are right, the TSSAA and MBA administrators may well fool the general public, but anyone who knows anything about how these schools function has their jaw hitting the floor at this point.

MBA...the real MBA... will be just fine.

• Upvote 1

Wow.....so I guess the BA incident of the mid 90's is old news....MBA now gets strapped to the recruiting whipping post for the next 15-20 years......takes all the focus off BA! :rolleyes: Seriously...this case makes the BA ticket/letter for spring practice fiasco look like childs play....this is a MUCH worse situation than BA's....it appears the MBA administration has lost control of what is going on at the school...sorry to hear the findings. As a DII fan, I have always admired MBA's program.....very disappointing.

Edited by Brandon100