heres a wild solution........

mchsballer

Posted by imasoftballer:
Posted by mchsballer:

Glad you replied mchsballer. Here's your shot. Where do you attend school? What sport(s) do you play? How do you feel about the suggested athletics split for all public and private schools and why do you feel the way you do?

[Edited by gobigred on 10-22-02 10:53P]

I attend Montgomery Central High School,and play basketball softball and volleyball.i think the split is silly,what they have goin on now is obviously working just fine.not only that,but what about a public school that has a traditional rivalry with a private school?thats rough.i dont think its right to sit here and debate on whether public or privates are better,but to try and stop this split together,b/c thats something we both have in common,NO SPLIT!

The rivialries could still exsist. The private and public schools could stil play each other during the regular season if they chose to. I still think you will see more and more of a domination by private schools in the future. Look at the state tourneys this year. If there is not to be a split then I am for 1 class, winner takes all, just like it was in the old days.

In the "old days" there were no playoffs. Playoffs began in 1969 in football with a "small" class (won by South Pittsburg) and a "large" class (not sure who won). At least in football, there has never been a "winner take all" playoff. Before 1969, there was no classification in basketball ("winner take all"). I'm not sure about all the other sports. Remember, there has not been a sanctioned state tourney in many sports (like softball) until the 1970's or later. Even golf and tennis are not all that old with an official TSSAA state champion.

By the way, I am for doing away with playoffs altogether in football. I give my reasons in the thread labeled "A Really Radical Suggestion." Check it out and see if you agree.

The real issue is how the concept of "unfair advantage" is defined and understood. I'm not saying you believe this, but unfortunately "unfair advantage" means to many people, "My team didn't win, so I'll holler about all our team's 'disadvantages'." This is such an emotional issue it is almost impossible to get an objective read on "fairness."

What do you think?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic