District 4A

bitterfan

Again, there were no seating problems. Still not sure where that is coming from. There were seats around me during first game and most certainly for second game. But whatever makes no difference to me. Anderson County? RSCC? Wonder what they would charge to rent out gyms for another districts tournaments when there is one big enough already. RSCC may not, but not sure about Anderson County. Again, makes no difference Wartburg plays well in large gyms, (if this point was ever taken into consideration) Good luck to all teams left. And just for arguments sake the last time the regions were held at Oneida Wartburg was in championship game there with Cosby. Wartburg lost that game, but they have lost championship games at Wartburg also. Guess this is one we will have to agree to disagree. lol Good luck!

hmmm good info to know i agree wartburg plays alot better in large gyms and always the bigger the better heck lets see if thompson boling is available why not if its seating they want seek and ye shall find lol wartburgs fans travel the best anyway we can be like jellico last year and take the whole town lol

I really think Wartburg does a fine job of hosting, lights and clock issues could happen anywhere. I think the real issue is that it would be nice if Jellico and Oneida would be offered a chance to host since they have enough seating. It gets old knowing that you have to go to Wartburg every year. Lets face it, if Morgan Co. School had to travel every year to Jellico or Oneida they would not be happy.

ACHS would probably host it for a minimal fee for host director, maintenance, and concessions. Those of you that have been on here a while know that I could help make this happen, if its what 4A really wanted.

We have hosted the middle school regionals for over 8 years.

Edited by chill

Wartburg has played in the championship every year aside from 2010 because the teams show up to play at tournament time. It has nothing to do with "home court advantage". This isn't the SEC or "Large districts". Coalfield, Oakdale, Wartburg, Oliver Springs, and Sunbright are all within 30 minutes of Wartburg High schol. I attended Wartburg, even though Coalfield and Oliver Springs were time wise closer to my house, but due to the option Kids had coming from Petros I could choose. Wartburg Holds the tournament because as the actually name of the school states it is the "Central" school of the district. It is what is best for the schools in the district, and if you think more Wartburg people are going to show up for the Championship game than Oliver Springs or Coalfield, then you haven't attended many championships. Each school travels well to Wartburg for both boys and girls. Anderson County and Roane State are both significantly longer drives for every single school besides maybe Jellico to Anderson County. The reason the District 4A tournament is packed is because Morgan County people love basketball, it's a strong passion... Move the tournament elsewhere, it'll look a lot like summer camps.

I have always thought it would be a good idea to have the district tournaments in the other district's host site (District 4 at Harriman and District 3 at Wartburg) that way the site is still local and there isn't a true homecourt "advantage." Just a thought to ponder. Going to Anderson County isn't the right move. What little money is made and not hoarded by the T$$AA should stay in the region at least.

Wartburg has played in the championship every year aside from 2010 because the teams show up to play at tournament time. It has nothing to do with "home court advantage". This isn't the SEC or "Large districts". Coalfield, Oakdale, Wartburg, Oliver Springs, and Sunbright are all within 30 minutes of Wartburg High schol. I attended Wartburg, even though Coalfield and Oliver Springs were time wise closer to my house, but due to the option Kids had coming from Petros I could choose. Wartburg Holds the tournament because as the actually name of the school states it is the "Central" school of the district. It is what is best for the schools in the district, and if you think more Wartburg people are going to show up for the Championship game than Oliver Springs or Coalfield, then you haven't attended many championships. Each school travels well to Wartburg for both boys and girls. Anderson County and Roane State are both significantly longer drives for every single school besides maybe Jellico to Anderson County. The reason the District 4A tournament is packed is because Morgan County people love basketball, it's a strong passion... Move the tournament elsewhere, it'll look a lot like summer camps.

Wartburg does show up and play when it counts, that is why they are very successful in boys and girls ball. But don't tell me there is not a such thing as home court advantage. They may be Central high but that is Central High School of Morgan Co. not Central High of District 4. If they travel well then let them travel to Oneida and Jellico every few years. Wartburg does a great job of hosting, but as I said before if everyone in Morgan Co. had to travel to Oneida or Jellico every year they would be upset. I remember back in the 90's Oneida hosted the tourney and some of the Morgan Co schools and parents were so upset that they brought popcorn and snacks with them to keep from supporting the consession stand at Oneida. Sometimes I think it would benefit Oakdale, Coalfield, Sunbright,Oz, to catch Wartburg on a neutral floor, but until they open their eyes and ask for the tourney to be moved around we will never know. One last thought, Wartburg girls and Oz split in the regular season, each winning at home. But Oz had to play them at Wartburg in the Championship, could it have been a different outcome at a neutral site? I bet Oz would like to have had that chance.

Edited by 81booger

Obviously, you don't remember or weren't around when the District tournament was held at other sites. It has always been packed and will always be packed, regardless of where it is held. The tournament was at Rockwood around 2003 or 2004 (can't remember which) and attendance was higher than ever. And, in 2006 when the Region was at Oneida, attendance was tremendous and no one, but Oneida fans and players want to play at OHS. Basically, you could probably play this tournament somewhere in Kentucky and our fans would follow, because this district has fans that love their schools and kids. It doesn't hurt that it seems they have an above average basketball I.Q., as well. What's even funnier, with our schools and our fans, if any of these schools played at a summer camp, seating might be an issue cause we would go and watch.

Yeah, I remember one year we had tournaments at ETSU and there was about 35 people in the stands for the championship game. It was like playing in a funeral home. If the tournament is rotated to Oneida I think that's ok but I don't see Jellico being able to host and do not think it makes sense for the rest of the district to go up there.

Having the games at Wartburg doesn't bother me either. For years Oneida went down there and won titles. I don't think the Wartburg boys would have been in fewer championship games if the games were held somewhere else they are winning because they are good.

I personally would rather see the games stay at wartburg over going to AC or RSCC. I also don't want to play at OS either. I'm an old school oneida guy and feel like we should win wherever the games are played and don't want to hear excuses about losing. The wartburg gym is as good as any to win a championship! We should try to host but shouldn't complain and make excuses for other teams success, we should work harder and maybe we could get back to what we should be #1

Not sure if playing the district tourney on your home floor gives that team a distinct advantage over other schools participating. If my memory serves me correct Jellico won the district last year at wartburg. But at the end of the day I think one has to look at the fairness issue involved. If one school host year in and year out I think it an advantage to that school's fans. Plus, it never hurts to play on your home floor. I think if District 4 reallys wants to be fair to every school involved it should go on a rotation schedule to Wartburg, Oneida, & Jellico. Then you are covering 3 counties (Morgan, Scott, Campbell) I think each one of these schools could host the tournament with seating and adequate parking. Or District 4 could explore a neutral site such as Clinton High School or Anderson County High School. I know the wartburg faithful thinks it should stay there each year but you are fooling yourself if you think that this is fair to the other schools involved in the district. After all, TSSAA strives for each school to to play fair and abide by the rules in their constitution and by-laws. Maybe the administrators, athletic directors, & coaches should keep that in mind when selecting a district tournament site instead who has to travel the least. District Tournament Sites should be on a rotation schedule !

Not sure if playing the district tourney on your home floor gives that team a distinct advantage over other schools participating. If my memory serves me correct Jellico won the district last year at wartburg. But at the end of the day I think one has to look at the fairness issue involved. If one school host year in and year out I think it an advantage to that school's fans. Plus, it never hurts to play on your home floor. I think if District 4 reallys wants to be fair to every school involved it should go on a rotation schedule to Wartburg, Oneida, & Jellico. Then you are covering 3 counties (Morgan, Scott, Campbell) I think each one of these schools could host the tournament with seating and adequate parking. Or District 4 could explore a neutral site such as Clinton High School or Anderson County High School. I know the wartburg faithful thinks it should stay there each year but you are fooling yourself if you think that this is fair to the other schools involved in the district. After all, TSSAA strives for each school to to play fair and abide by the rules in their constitution and by-laws. Maybe the administrators, athletic directors, & coaches should keep that in mind when selecting a district tournament site instead who has to travel the least. District Tournament Sites should be on a rotation schedule !

None of the other school in Morgan county are big enough to hold it, so they would all vote it stay at wartburg

I really don't have a dog in the hunt. I'm sure the success that Wartburg is having this year is due to the hard work of their players and coaches. Plus, I'm sure that do an adequate job hosting. But I would not think that the other schools in that district always agree that the tournament should be played at the same location. If some of the schools in that district do not have facilities to host then the schools that do should be given top priority on a rotation schedule. I bet they are some schools within Morgan County who are not happy that Wartburg host each year.

Edited by Orangeswarm