Classless Portland fans

Cleggy

Last night's boy's basketball game between White House and Portland was an exciting affair that the Devils pulled out to complete the sweep of the Panthers this year. It was a great atmosphere between two rival schools, that was until the Portland student section showed their ####.

It is one thing to hang over the rail above the Devil's bench and scream during timeouts and chant "Quit you're crying" at our coach when he complained to the officials about a call, but it's another when they chanted "He's a f_g_o_t" at one of our male students when he ran out on the court and did a perfect back handspring along with the cheerleaders or when our senior Will Gammon, who is around 5', was shooting a free throw and they chanted "He's a midget". That was totally classless and uncalled for. Heck, their principal stood right by them and allowed this to go on!! He did pull them away from the rail so they didn't fall over into our bench. Shame on you, Mr. Gideon!

When we played them at their place earlier this year, they were all painted up and had a giant paper mache brick. It was funny and I thought what spirit! I even spoke to the principal and told him that I admired his student's spirit section. However, after last night's game, I take it all back!!

After the game, a couple of their players acted like they wanted to come after one of our boys near the locker room and then tried to start a fight with another in the foyer. SORE LOSERS!!!!

White House may be a "souped up Westmoreland" :roflolk: , but Portland is about like a bleached out, rednecked Melrose!

BTW, if they want to fight, join the football team and bring it on this fall!! BDP!!!!!

Edited by pitchfork1

I removed the post by "King", I agreed with what was said but even though he's repeating what was said at a game it's not suitable for the board. Please watch the language and phrases. His post was about how this is an issue in his part of the state, too, and how the student sections' chants and such need to be toned down.

For pitchfork, you should have your principal call the other school's principal and voice these concerns if it's worth the time to do so.

Yea, I saw the phrases and wasn't shocked because I hear that and worse and most games anymore!

Indian, I understand why you removed them but Im also inclined to think more people should see such to get an idea of the garbage being chanted ('cause alot of people can't make out the wording of the chants) and maybe more complaints would curb this problem.

What I hear is distasteful, and disrespecting to both teams, refs and other fans... and Im still not sure why "student sections" get away with such!

My momma would have mashed my mouth SHUT for such!

I would like to add that I am all for having the student spirit sections. They add a lot of excitement to the overall game atmosphere, but the administrators need to monitor what they say and do. If the students don't comply, take away the privilage till they want to behave in a manner that best represents the school. Other than the two references I spoke about, it was great! I think what I was most upset about was the fact that their prinicipal was standing right next to them and allowed the chant to go on for several verses without saying or doing nothing, just smiling. With all the emphasis being placed on being politically correct, preventing bullying, and several student suicides attributed to such name calling it is imperative that the school get a handle on this topic. I believe that the students can be very creative and come up with better and more appropriate in game cheers, catcalls, and chants. BDP!!!!

I assume the game was at Portland Do you know if this is the first time the student section has behaved like this? By the way, Will is a good kid and plays with a lot of heart.

No, the game was at White House. I was impressed with their enthusiasm when we played them there. "Big Shot" Will Gammon is a great kid! If he was a foot taller there is no doubt in my mind that he would be the best P.G. in the District. He has hit some really big baskets for us this year.

I'm curious how no Portland fans seem to be weighing in on this issue. :unsure:

They messed up cause many of our football players were painted up and saw their sign they were holding up about Aug. 24th. We're gonna kill them this year (in addition to winning the game).

No, the game was at White House. I was impressed with their enthusiasm when we played them there. "Big Shot" Will Gammon is a great kid! If he was a foot taller there is no doubt in my mind that he would be the best P.G. in the District. He has hit some really big baskets for us this year.

I'm curious how no Portland fans seem to be weighing in on this issue. :unsure:

They messed up cause many of our football players were painted up and saw their sign they were holding up about Aug. 24th. We're gonna kill them this year (in addition to winning the game).

Where is the region tournament at? Last year I was able to attend the games at Vol St