Maryville Editorial

MaryvilleRebels

In today's Maryville editorial section there was a letter on the Confederate flag and how it has popped up at games once again. There is usually no more than 6-7 flags at the game, compared to 30+ in the years before the ban. He also ended with a bit of a contradiction, he used the lines..."one nation under God" Now I'm a christian, but I am also a rational person. His whole theme was about pleasing the minorities by getting rid of the flag, well...what about the minorities that aren't christian? You want to ban a flag, to please a minority, but not ban the words "under god" to please another!? Please do not go off on me about this and say I'm not christian, because I am, but if he's trying so hard to be so politically correct then he should stop contradicting himself and please everyone, his request is stupid. 4 years ago a compromise was put into play that said we could have them at football games and other outdoor events, but it would be in nothing near the school other wise, banned from walls, lunchtrays, and yearbooks. I've been to several games without the confederate flag and its just not the same, the crowd for some reason isn't quite as loud, least not the students. I want some opinion on his letter, but I want it only from Maryville fans, players, and people who have read the article. I also want it on a local standpoint and not a global/national standpoint! Or you can ignore this, doesn't matter!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by MaryvilleRebels:

In today's Maryville editorial section there was a letter on the Confederate flag and how it has popped up at games once again. There is usually no more than 6-7 flags at the game, compared to 30+ in the years before the ban. He also ended with a bit of a contradiction, he used the lines..."one nation under God" Now I'm a christian, but I am also a rational person. His whole theme was about pleasing the minorities by getting rid of the flag, well...what about the minorities that aren't christian? You want to ban a flag, to please a minority, but not ban the words "under god" to please another!? Please do not go off on me about this and say I'm not christian, because I am, but if he's trying so hard to be so politically correct then he should stop contradicting himself and please everyone, his request is stupid. 4 years ago a compromise was put into play that said we could have them at football games and other outdoor events, but it would be in nothing near the school other wise, banned from walls, lunchtrays, and yearbooks. I've been to several games without the confederate flag and its just not the same, the crowd for some reason isn't quite as loud, least not the students. I want some opinion on his letter, but I want it only from Maryville fans, players, and people who have read the article. I also want it on a local standpoint and not a global/national standpoint! Or you can ignore this, doesn't matter!

Political correctness is out of control in this country to the point that it's pounding real civil rights into the ground.

People who have a problem with people showing southern or school pride by using the rebel flag are just as stupid as the people who use the rebel flag as a symbol of hate and "white power." People are so hung up on symbols they don't even talk to the people. If they did they might understand each other a whole lot better.

Del (who was born in Chicago, raised on Monteagle mountain, doesn't own a rebel flag but has one on a shirt about fishing, and most of all has seen the good, bad, ugly and stupid of many races. We've all got plenty of good, bad, ugly and stupid so none of us needs to be on a high horse. So There!)

My mom said, "What if Carl Stewart walked up to you and asked you to stop?" And I said, what if a Mexican came up to you and asked you to stop waving the American flag because it offended him due to the Spanish American war! Or if a Japaneese man came up to you and asked you to stop waving the American flag because of the atom bomb and because of the american "concentration camps" She stopped talking then, it goes both ways, but most people don't see it like that!

Guest dilweed

Most people don't see it that way because the confederate battle flag has been adopted as a symbol of racism. Just like the swastica was an ancient symbol for prosperity, or something like that, until it was adopted by the Nazis. People around here argue that it is a part of our heritage. However, in reality, if your family is truely an east-TN family they hated the confederacy. Like it or not, the confederate battle flag is a symbol of racism and it is not part of east-TN heritage.

Posted by MaryvilleRebels:

I guess this former school board chairman is running low on causes right now so he had to start this one up AGAIN. I really see this flag being seen by most students as a symbol of school spirit. But if it defends some of our students, their parents or anyone else get rid of it. With everything else going on in the world, Maryland, D.C. it looks like some people would have other things to worry about. This guy stirring it up again is the same one who made us start referring to our Christmas Break as "Winter" break because the word christ could offend some of our students. And here is the real kicker. He is an ordained minister.

"Most people don't see it that way because the confederate battle flag has been adopted as a symbol of racism".

Speaking about the above....

I think some people look upon the flag as a symbol of hate and some of thier heritage. In anycase this is, the last time I checked, is America! The freedom of open expression is protected by the articles of the consitution, case in point, the letter in the Maryville Rag, some call a paper. This paper is and has been anti-Maryville high school for years. The paper had nothing else negitive to write this week so they are trying to insite trouble in the wake of another great football season. Why did they wait until right before the West Game? Because this football foe happens to have a larger that ave black student population! Simple. Do what I have done openly oppose this Rag and don't buy it! I hope this great web page can stay with sports. Let the liberals continue to start and cause political trouble elsewhere. People like this school board member bow down to the ACLU and the NAACP and other one sided groups rest upon the freedoms many have fought and died for and then question and challenge the consitution. Let the commuinity decide for it's self. The history of this flag has nothing to do with hate. my opinion. Go Rebs beat West!

Posted by dilweed:

Most people don't see it that way because the confederate battle flag has been adopted as a symbol of racism. Just like the swastica was an ancient symbol for prosperity, or something like that, until it was adopted by the Nazis. People around here argue that it is a part of our heritage. However, in reality, if your family is truely an east-TN family they hated the confederacy. Like it or not, the confederate battle flag is a symbol of racism and it is not part of east-TN heritage.

I find this hard to believe Dillweed, but I agree with your post and gave you a good mark.

We would be horribly offended by a German national promoting the Nazi flag and would equate it with anti-semitism. The argument the person waving this flag would make are the same arguments as people supporting the confederate flag. For example, this flag is German heritage not racist, or the Nazi movement was not about anti-semitism only restoring Germany.

Like it or not, the confederate flag will always evoke negative reactions from African-Americans. What is the Southern lifestyle that was trying to be protected that did not involve slavery? What Southern heritage is being evoked other than slavery?

There is a difference with waving the confederate flag and an American flag. First, the United States is a present day country not a government that has been dead almost fifty times longer than it was alive. Second, the flag of the United States has not been adopted by racist groups to promote a racist cause. Whether you fans support racism is quite different, but that is what this flag means to many people. Finally, the people that would likely have a problem with waving the American flag are not likely to be Americans, but the people that most strongly object to the confederate flag are.

Consider being reminded every time you see the confederate flag that your ancestors were at one time considered as property, not as humans, in this country. Then you are told that this is not racism, but Southern pride or school spirit. Give me a break!

I find it very hard to believe that the students can't come up with a different flag to wave at the games if waving a flag is so important to them. If only the confederate flag can fire them up, then I do question their motives for waving it.

We must always strive to protect the minority in this country, because we may one day find ourselves in their shoes.

This is really a diversion from the "political" discussion going on here, but remember when the Maryville cheerleaders used to have the Rebel flag covering the whole back of their cheerleading skirt?

No that was cool and innovative. And really gave guys an opportunity to look at the girls skirts and have an explanation for their girlfriends. "I was only looking at the flag".

Guest dilweed
Posted by flyinpro:

"Most people don't see it that way because the confederate battle flag has been adopted as a symbol of racism".

Speaking about the above....

I think some people look upon the flag as a symbol of hate and some of thier heritage. In anycase this is, the last time I checked, is America! The freedom of open expression is protected by the articles of the consitution, case in point, the letter in the Maryville Rag, some call a paper. This paper is and has been anti-Maryville high school for years. The paper had nothing else negitive to write this week so they are trying to insite trouble in the wake of another great football season. Why did they wait until right before the West Game? Because this football foe happens to have a larger that ave black student population! Simple. Do what I have done openly oppose this Rag and don't buy it! I hope this great web page can stay with sports. Let the liberals continue to start and cause political trouble elsewhere. People like this school board member bow down to the ACLU and the NAACP and other one sided groups rest upon the freedoms many have fought and died for and then question and challenge the consitution. Let the commuinity decide for it's self. The history of this flag has nothing to do with hate. my opinion. Go Rebs beat West!

I couldn't agree more. It is everyones freedom of expression to degrade and outrage those around them. That's why I'll be waiving my Al-Quida flag at the Maryville game tonight. This is America isn't it why should anyone care if I openly support terrorists. It's my "freedom of expression" if I want to offend people. I hope you can grasp my sarcasm. I laid it on pretty thick. :)

Guest dilweed
Posted by rabidwildcatfan:
Posted by dilweed:

I find this hard to believe Dillweed, but I agree with your post and gave you a good mark.

We would be horribly offended by a German national promoting the Nazi flag and would equate it with anti-semitism. The argument the person waving this flag would make are the same arguments as people supporting the confederate flag. For example, this flag is German heritage not racist, or the Nazi movement was not about anti-semitism only restoring Germany.

Like it or not, the confederate flag will always evoke negative reactions from African-Americans. What is the Southern lifestyle that was trying to be protected that did not involve slavery? What Southern heritage is being evoked other than slavery?

There is a difference with waving the confederate flag and an American flag. First, the United States is a present day country not a government that has been dead almost fifty times longer than it was alive. Second, the flag of the United States has not been adopted by racist groups to promote a racist cause. Whether you fans support racism is quite different, but that is what this flag means to many people. Finally, the people that would likely have a problem with waving the American flag are not likely to be Americans, but the people that most strongly object to the confederate flag are.

Consider being reminded every time you see the confederate flag that your ancestors were at one time considered as property, not as humans, in this country. Then you are told that this is not racism, but Southern pride or school spirit. Give me a break!

I find it very hard to believe that the students can't come up with a different flag to wave at the games if waving a flag is so important to them. If only the confederate flag can fire them up, then I do question their motives for waving it.

We must always strive to protect the minority in this country, because we may one day find ourselves in their shoes.

If you agree with this, then you'd probably agree with my Soddy-Daisy v/s Hooterville post. :)

Posted by dilweed:

Sounds to me like Maryville needs to change it's nickname. The Brainerd "Rebels" did....to "Panthers".....

Posted by CSense:
Posted by dilweed:

Sounds to me like Maryville needs to change it's nickname. The Brainerd "Rebels" did....to "Panthers".....

Which offends me. After all the Panthers stand for Black Panthers. There are a terrorist anti-American group responsible for murder and distruction and most of all hatrid against any race that isn't black.

So that blows that nickname out of the water. Maybe we should change all nicknames to various types of fruits and veggies? :)

On second thought that would probably have the gay and disabled communities up in arms. :o

Let's just do away with sports and schools and go back to living in the woods. :)

Del.