Private School Recruiting

Iceman76

This has got nothing to do with recruiting BUT...

Can aprivate school give financial aid to kids,say grades 1-8, and then not give financial aid to high school kids and still play in D-1?

DD, I'm not certain about the answer, but I will speculate. I believe D1's can give financial add to anyone so long as that person receiving aid does not play in a varsity game. I know at CAK we had a couple players a few years back in the high school that were receiving financial aid. They were allowed to practice and even participate in JV games, but on Friday nights they weren't allowed to dress out and weren't included on the roster. Those players stayed on the team for 2 years, then transferred to a public school and played immediately. I would speculate that financial aid to middle school kids would be allowable unless that middle school is a member of the TSSAA middle school equivalent (CAK is not a member of that organization). Once that middle school athlete reached the high school they would have to forfeit their aid or their eligibility. Once again, that is just mere speculation on my part.

Why don't you CAK people just man up and play in the private division. I just think you are afraid of playing Webb. The travel issue is just weak today. Man UP!

CB, you are funny :lol: Man up. Are you kidding me? CAK has app. 450 students, most are not the "tough" kind of kids that pass the eye test when you see them in the locker room. And not a one of those kids are recruited and "paid" for to come play at CAK. Their parents have to find a way to fork over the $9000 a year it costs to go there. And for some families that is a very tall order. After the 1.8 multiplier, CAK plays up a division already. On top of that, CAK plays in arguably the toughest 3A district in the state, and faces Alcoa, not only once, but twice a year. Additionally, any out of district games usually include several 4A, 5A or even 6A opponents, IF they will even agree to play. For grins and giggles why don't your team man up and jump over and take on the Tornadoes and Warriors every year? Both teams are always looking for non-district games. As for Webb, I have great respect for them, but they are not Alcoa, at least not of recent. So the jab you take by suggesting that CAK is afraid to play Webb, while playing Alcoa 2 times a year, appears to be a little misguided. There may be other reasons those 2 schools don't play, but fear is not one of them. .

Now, why CAK doesn't go D2? You may think the travel issue is weak today, but its stronger today with the fuel prices than it ever was a few years ago. But its much more than that. The overall quality of the competition from top to bottom is not nearly as good as it is in the public league unless you go D2 large division. Then you are faced with the issue of "recruiting" and CAK's school charter prohibits providing athletes with financial aid. That could be changed of course, but the board of directors will not approve that move. While CAK enjoys some athletic success, they are intent on keeping the focus of the school on christian based education. A few years back when the re-classifications were going on with the TSSAA the issue of D2 was addressed at CAK and it was quickly shot down, and winning games or competitiveness never entered the conversation per the people on the board that I spoke with. CAK wants to participate alongside fellow community and E.TN schools just like the majority of the other schools in E.TN choose to do. CAK adheres to the rules and strives to overcome whatever obstacles are thrown their way by the TSSAA or other schools they compete with. CAK has earned their success through hard work and good coaching while playing by the rules, not by manipulating the system like your comment suggests. So if you still think CAK is not "manning up" that is OK, we all have our opinions, I just think yours is more bravado than rational thinking.

Thanks, but that don't seem fair to me. You give a kid financial aid for 8 years or so, then you stop giving him financial aid once he gets to TSSAA eligible status. Bet my last buttermilk biscuit there are privates in D1 cheating on this one!

You may be right. But if they are, they should be turned in and punished. That athlete should have been made aware of the rules by the private school way in advance of them getting close to moving up to high school so they could have made decisions on whether to transfer to a public or to accept the fact they would not be eligible to play varsity athletics if they stay. If they were allowed to stay and still be eligible for varsity athletics that would certainly be an advantage for the private, so I can't see the TSSAA allowing it.

Why don't you CAK people just man up and play in the private division. I just think you are afraid of playing Webb. The travel issue is just weak today. Man UP!

How 'bout YOU man up and address the substance of my post rather than making some sort of personal attack type statement about the school my kids attend? FootballDad posted another reply that explains why CAK does not play in the private school division. It is certainly NOT out of fear of playing Webb; CAK did, in fact, play Webb a few times when CAK's football program was in its infancy, and Webb dominated those games. I would venture a guess that, if Webb had played CAK more recently, the roles would be reversed now, at least over the last couple of years.

As FootballDAD pointed out, CAK has difficulty finding opponents and has had to travel to KY as well as play a 6A school (and a 5A school and a 4A school) last year, so if your school, whatever it might be, is looking for a good game, please contact Coach Rusty Bradley at CAK and discuss arranging a home and away series. That way he won't have to call 80-100 schools trying to fill out a non-conference schedule. I guess that's a polite way of telling YOU to "man up."

Likewise, if you know somebody at Webb,have them call Coach Bradley; I suspect CAK would love to play Webb now, if Webb is willing.

Either way, please try to keep your posts on topic and refrain from "man up" responses to people who haven't actually complained about anything.

Edited by Warriors2011

That way he won't have to call 80-100 schools trying to fill out a non-conference schedule.

Most public schools even Maryville and Alcoa do not have that kind of problem finding non-conference opponents. Even small school success stories like Trousdale or South Pitt do not have huge issues filling the schedule. Is there a feeling amoung the publics (founded or unfounded) that it is best to not play privates as a way to force them into D2?

That way he won't have to call 80-100 schools trying to fill out a non-conference schedule.

Most public schools even Maryville and Alcoa do not have that kind of problem finding non-conference opponents. Even small school success stories like Trousdale or South Pitt do not have huge issues filling the schedule. Is there a feeling amoung the publics (founded or unfounded) that it is best to not play privates as a way to force them into D2?

I doubt it is motivated by a desire to force private schools into Division II as much as it is concern over playoff seedings. Good but not great 4A and 5A schools are probably reluctant to play 3A CAK because it doesn't help their playoff seeding to beat a non-conference 3A team, but a loss to a non-conference 3A team affects their overall record, which I think is taken into account at least somewhat when TSSAA starts making playoff brackets.

To illustrate CAK's difficulty filling out a non-conference schedule, last year the Warriors' non-conference opponents included Anderson County (a good 5A team), Gibbs (good 4A), Grace (probably the best 2A team in the state but ineligible for playoffs), Lexington (KY) Christian Academy (former KY state champs), and LaVergne (6A team). In order for LaVergne to agree to play CAK, CAK had to agree to a two-year away/away series, so we get to make the three-hour trip again this season. The Lexington Christian was supposed to be a two-year series, but Lexington bought out this year's game, and to take that place on the schedule, CAK has scheduled a game against Darlington Road Academy of Georgia (where Da'Rick Rogers played).

That's why it's pretty galling to hear somebody who doesn't know what he's talking about telling CAK to "man up" and play Webb! If we could, I'm pretty sure we'd jump at the chance for a non-conference game just down the street. Clawball should go on the D-II thread and ask Webb whether they want to play CAK.