Whitwell hosts Clay Co in SubState game

Jashawn

So realistically Clay Co. should be the favorite going into Saturday's match against Whitwell. Just looking at the schedules Clay Co. plays an obviously stronger schedule and has had some really nice results.

Whitwell's schedule has been weaker but the Tigers have really done well all season long.

The Tigers will have the home court advantage with a packed out audience and the hype of their first ever regional championship still fresh on their mind. Will this be enough to get Whitwell the win though?

I think that most would expect Clay Co to win this one by between 10-15, but it's playoffs and a lot of excitment will be in the air at Whitwell... crazy things could happen.

I'm just excited to get behind the mic and call it! :popcorneater:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clay County's fans travel well and they will be as loud a fan base as you have heard. Clay has a solid team and should win the game but it will be close for awhile as I see Whitwell putting up a good fight. How they handle adversity will be the key. When they came to JC last year they looked very intimidated and it showed in their play as it was never a game and the fact that they play no one of any significance will hurt them in a big game like this. They will get behind on the scoreboard and it's how they handle it that will go a long way in the outcome of the game. Roach and Cooper are they keys to Clay County's success. You must be able to stop them if you are going to have a chance to win and very few teams can do that. Good luck to you guys and congrats on your region title.

One thing I noticed when I saw Whitwell is during time outs when the coach speaks his girls listen. They are well coached and he gets the best out of his girls. I predict that this will be a close game just because Whitwell is well coached, but mostly because this is an unfamiliar gym and unfamiliar enviroment all together that will knock Clay out of a rhythm. I saw that when RBS played Marion County last year. Had Marion County been in 8a they may not have made it to the region and that is saying a lot because 8a is a typically weak district. What kills Whitwell and it's the only reason why RBS was able to play you all as close as we did is because of the lack of inside presence. The biggest game for a region 4 team over the years isn't the region championship, but it's the region semi-finals because over the years we've basically always said the top 2 teams in the region is going to state. I hoping Clay County win for the same reasons your probably hoping Van Buren wins, but I hope it's a good game that comes down to the 4th quarter but I just don't see it happening. Congrats on the region championship, you all do have a good team and it's obvious by your record and district and region championship but you all just happen to meet up with a road block at sub-state.

Devilfanatic, good to know. I love it when the place is packed and it gets loud. Makes for an exciting game no matter what the result ends up being. Hopefully Clay brings a bunch.

Swanson, I think you are spot on. Whitwell's coach is the main reason they've made it this far. They aren't stocked with tons of talent but they know how to run plays and do what their coach asks. He's a smart coach and knows how to take advantage of a teams weakness.

Looks like we are all kind of on the same page.... I'm pumped lol.

Edited by Jashawn

Clay Co is a very good team. It will take Whitwell getting out to a early lead in order to take down Clay Co. They shoot the three VERY well, especially Roach. Cooper is who you need to worry most about though. She is scrappy, good around the basket and just seems to know how to score. They are not that deep of a team, so if you can get a early lead and get them in foul trouble, you may have a chance. I just don't see it happening though. Clay by 19