R1AA Chuckey-Doak

skate2ice

I agree about officiating. It is consistently bad, I think for 2 reasons: 1-many call college ball too and high school pay is a lot lower, so the best call less high school. 2-they are way too sensitive! They listen way too much too the crowd and then call worse (sometimes out of spite).

gcfball.....I'm glad it's not just me seeing these things. I'll say up front, I have a good friend who is a ref, and he does call a lot of college ball. But, I respect him when he makes a bad call/mistake. He always agrees with the coach and admits to the missed call. Everyone makes a mistake. But....you could be almost blind, sitting in the "rafters", with fog hovering near the roof and see some of the goofs some of these nuts call. Not all are less than acceptable. Thankfully we still have some good ones. As far as being sensitive and listening to fans.....I saw a team of officials at Volunteer.....one member was at CD in district/region this year. He threw everyone who questioned him out of the gym. Both teams, both sides of the gym, and everyone else around wanted a piece of all 3 of them. No excuse. Everyone misses a call ever now and then, but these clowns go way beyond that. I'm also a little distressed at some of the chants I've heard from student sections and other fans aimed at the officials and opposing coaches. Not good at all. Guess tomorrow night will tell the tale. Hope to see all in the "Borough"!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot to thank the officials for all the missed calls in this game, and in all the other games as well. They made a difference in all the games involved...especially South Greene and Grainger! I'll take nothing away from the Lady Knights, but they had 3 extra players on the floor throughout the district and region. CD needs to remember that if they ever have opportunity to host again, that the tournament is NOT about CD, but about the entire district/region. Not a class act in how everyone else was treated. Visiting teams are treated much better over near the Gap...always have.

Actually, I didn't even make it to the game. I'm just glad the girls won since the boys team didn't have a very good year.

And I'm not sure, but I think CD hosts tournaments often due to the geographic location. Even CD Middle hosts the single A teams. I have no idea who the officials were, but it's my understanding they are supposed to be from a different region, like in football playoffs but I could be mistaken about that. I did see Grainger play CDHS in the district finals, and I was quite impressed with that team. And their post player who is usually a top scorer didn't even play that night, so for CD to win against them is a big accomplishment!

I would suggest that if visiting schools were treated badly, they should ask their athletic director to report that to TSSAA. Not sure that will accomplish anything, but at least your school will be on record that you were treated inappropriately. Just a suggestion...

I agree the district and regional games should be at neutral sites. Unfortunately, that became somewhat impractical for a few reasons. First, I believe the TSSAA instituted minimum seating requirements for the venues. Secondly, a lot of venues that meet the requirements, have good facilities and are conveniently located; have little to no interest in hosting. Consequently, we are left with the system we have now.

Next, I didn't see any of the regional games at CD so I can't comment on whether the officials favored any one team over another. But, I have watched many of those regional games over the past five years and saw the EHS/Greeneville first round game this year. I had seen 2 of the 3 officials that called that game multiple times in the regionals over this period. I'm told these officials come from the Athens Association. I can't say they are partial to a particular team, but I can vouch for the fact they are not good! I have seen them influence the outcome of an occasional game over this period. They sucked as usual during the EHS/Greeneville game, but fortunately did not give an advantage to either team or influence the outcome.

Edited by etownsparky

It costs the district and region money to have it at a neutral place.

I understand money is important, but I think these coaches and players dedicate way too much time during the entire year to be more concerned with making money than giving every team an equal chance at winning.

Parking at CD is terrible. No designated place for team buses to park. Boys and Girls teams had to share the same locker rooms. CD did not vacate their locker rooms. They were used only for CD teams. I have never been to a tournament that the home team did not clear out their lockeroom to be used by everyone. when you host tournaments you should be hospitable to everyone. It was all about CD. Special sections for their students but not for anyone else's. CD girls played well in final game. Grainger did not. They did however have a 7 point lead with between 3-4 minutes remaining. They were fouled on consecutive possessions on layups. Twice on one possession. None of these fouls were called. These were not borderline calls. They were blatant missed calls. If they had been called the game is probably over. Credit to CD for converting when they were not called. The officials clearly impacted the outcome of the game. CD then brought out the ladder to cut down nets before trophies were awarded. This is against TSSAA policy. Losing team should not have to watch. Grainger was awarded their plaque while this was taking place, but could not go to their lockeroom because Sullivan East boys team was in there. Poor tournament site and poor hosts.

I agree with CD not being a good sight for this tournament for the reasons listed. But, there are other sights, that are not neutral, that I think would be fine to have it at.

I agree too that there should be more to it than money, but its a key factor with principals and administration. And in district 1, they are the ones that wanted the district moved from a neutral site. So now its rotated between schools.

It should be at either Grainger or Hal Henatd when its district 2s turn to host. It should probably be Sullivan North or Unicoi for District 1.

I still think it should be at neutral site if at all possible. If another high school doesn't want it, Tusculum College or Walters State are possibilities.

I understand money is important, but I think these coaches and players dedicate way too much time during the entire year to be more concerned with making money than giving every team an equal chance at winning.

I agree totally.... It was noticed that CD was letting their students in FREE and ropped off a location for them to sit. How is any of this a neutral court???? Don't get me wrong CD had a great plan and that's the best they had played against Grainger. This whole process needs to be looked at.

I still think it should be at neutral site if at all possible. If another high school doesn't want it, Tusculum College or Walters State are possibilities.

West had their game a few years ago at WSCC, but they got beat anyway. Really, it's what happens on the floor that counts in the end.