Tullahoma vs. Columbia (what do you think)

wildcatdude

Ok well this is the series we have waited all year for, The battle of the 2 District 8AAA powers. Tullahoma comes into the game sporting a 20-7 record 8-0 in the district. Columbia's overall record is no where to be found I think they are 14-13 or something close to that. The Lions hold a 7-1 district record with there only loss coming early in the season to Franklin Co. Tullahoma can clinch the regular season district title with one win.Both teams seem to be jelling at the right time. These two teams are pretty evenly matched across the board. Tullahoma may be a little deeper in the pitching department, but both teams bring a lot of tallent to the field. I look forward to a Justus Sheffield, Hayden Stone showdown. Tuesdays game 4:00pm. @ Columbia, Wednesday 5:30pm. @ Tullahoma. If you are a baseball fan this is a must see.

Edited by wildcatdude

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree to close to call. But the pressure is on the Lions and not the cat's as it's been in the past. It's a lot tougher to win two to claim the district title than to have to only win one. I think they will split the series giving Tullahoma the title. Should be some GREAT High School Baseball!

I don't think there is any pressure on Columbia here. They have won a lot of big games against Tullahoma the last 2 years. If anything, there is pressure on Tullahoma to prove they can beat Columbia when it counts. That being said, I think this is the year for Tullahoma to do just that.

Tullahoma 4 Columbia 1

Folks if you missed this game you missed a Great one by two very good and well coached teams. Congrats to the Wildcat players and especially to Coach Brad White and his assistant coaches. You prepared them well and they came to play. Great Job! Also want to say Great Job to Coach Pickle and his staff and the lion players. Just a Great Ball game to Watch.

I agree with the previous two posters. It was an excellent game by both teams and Stone and Justice Sheffield threw well. The plate umpire, I thought, did an excellent job behind the plate, but the base umpire had several questionable calls and most of them, not all, went in favor of the Lions. The younger Sheffield is only a sophomore, but pitched like a senior today. I was really impressed and he seemed to throw just as hard in the 7th inning, as he did earlier in the game. He struck out 13 batters, but I don't know his pitch count. His older brother Jordan made the play of the game early, throwing out a Columbia batter at the plate from his shortstop position. Later on, the Lions had runners at 2nd and 3rd with only 1 out and could score only 1 run. Late in the game, the Charboneau kid from THS, had a clutch hit with 2 outs, to drive in the tying run and Tullahoma scored 3 runs in the top of the 7th for the 4-1 win. Congratulations to Coach White and the team for winning the regular season title and getting the top seed in the umcoming District 8AAA tournament. These two teams will play Wed nite at Grider, but the game won't mean as much as it could have. I'm sure Columbia and Tullahoma will face each other again in the postseason and its a whole season when the playoffs begin. Everyone knows what a good job Coach Pickle does every year, but I thought Coach White has done a great job with this years Tullahoma team. I wish both teams well in the postseason.

I agree with the previous two posters. It was an excellent game by both teams and Stone and Justice Sheffield threw well. The plate umpire, I thought, did an excellent job behind the plate, but the base umpire had several questionable calls and most of them, not all, went in favor of the Lions. The younger Sheffield is only a sophomore, but pitched like a senior today. I was really impressed and he seemed to throw just as hard in the 7th inning, as he did earlier in the game. He struck out 13 batters, but I don't know his pitch count. His older brother Jordan made the play of the game early, throwing out a Columbia batter at the plate from his shortstop position. Later on, the Lions had runners at 2nd and 3rd with only 1 out and could score only 1 run. Late in the game, the Charboneau kid from THS, had a clutch hit with 2 outs, to drive in the tying run and Tullahoma scored 3 runs in the top of the 7th for the 4-1 win. Congratulations to Coach White and the team for winning the regular season title and getting the top seed in the umcoming District 8AAA tournament. These two teams will play Wed nite at Grider, but the game won't mean as much as it could have. I'm sure Columbia and Tullahoma will face each other again in the postseason and its a whole season when the playoffs begin. Everyone knows what a good job Coach Pickle does every year, but I thought Coach White has done a great job with this years Tullahoma team. I wish both teams well in the postseason.

Justus Sheffield threw 116 pitches.

The number of pitches throw has very little to do with a 16 or 17 yr old player. If the weather is warm and not cold the arm does not get cooled down enough to hurt it. Cold weather on the other hand can and will cause many problems. These kids are strong and certainly capable of doing the job without injury. We have to careful and i am sure that the proper instructions and proper safety procedures are applied.

The number of pitches throw has very little to do with a 16 or 17 yr old player. If the weather is warm and not cold the arm does not get cooled down enough to hurt it. Cold weather on the other hand can and will cause many problems. These kids are strong and certainly capable of doing the job without injury. We have to careful and i am sure that the proper instructions and proper safety procedures are applied.

The number of pitches matters in some cases and in some it doesn't but it has little to do with the weather. If the kid is physically strong he can handle a bigger load but 116 pitches can be tough on a 16 yr old when he throws it 90+ mph. Usually, kids that throw that hard that early end up with arm trouble at some point. Look at his brother last year. The difference is that Justus is much better physically than Jordan and much more equipped to handle a bigger work load. Jordan was too skinny and weak to handle the arm speed he generated last year.