7-AAA District Tournament Bracket and 2013 Season Gutted

davidlimbaugh

Thank You. The more I think about this the sadder I get. Think of the excitement last week when Columbia and Tullahoma met if a region berth was on the line. We had had games like that for almost two decades. Now 7AAA has been turned into glorified rec-ball until the district tournament starts.

David: I think, to prove your point and make a statement about how you feel, you should boycott the district tournament. You could stand outside the gate to WT Jones Field with a sign saying "Region Bids...it's not just for Winners anymore" or "Ban the designated hitter, astroturf and 2 game district series."

Better yet, do an "Occupy WT Jones Field" event. During the tournament, camp out, dress like Baseball Bohemians, and let voice of the opposition be heard.

Just sayin'...

Edited by southpaw

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David: I think, to prove your point and make a statement about how you feel, you should boycott the district tournament. You could stand outside the gate to WT Jones Field with a sign saying "Region Bids...it's not just for Winners anymore" or "Ban the designated hitter, astroturf and 2 game district series."

Better yet, do an "Occupy WT Jones Field" event. During the tournament, camp out, dress like Baseball Bohemians, and let voice of the opposition be heard.

Just sayin'...

Southpaw's point about high school baseball not mattering anymore is a sad truth. The adults have made summer baseball out to be the end all based on exposure. It is true that college coaches get out more for the obvious reason. But how many players have great "summers and falls" only to come back to high school ball and play no where near to the level they played in the summer and fall. In the summer and fall, if you lose...guess what? You play next week...until there is snow on the ground. In high school baseball, you lose and you are gone. There is a finality to it!

Was there an argument made that the three game format would help beyond the district tournament? I don't see that as a huge bonus until the State Tournament...maybe. The three game series, in my opinion, leaves no doubt as to who is better at the time the games were played. Now a split is a tie.

How many AAA State Champions have not had the best players in the last 20 years? I have only been in the area since 2000ish. Have there been years in 7-AAA that the best team did not advance to the regionals?

As a fan of baseball with no high school aged children, I have enjoyed watching the games in this conference more so with the 3 game series.

Just sayin'...

:roflol:

I was thinking of putting a huge card on the outside wall with places for people to sign it agreeing or disagreeing with the votes :idea:

I'm stunned teams like Farragut manage, somehow, to be powerhouses and put players into colleges without following this system and developing their pitchers in this manner. How do they do it while playing glorified rec-league regular seasons?

I think they could have played no games till the district tournament, go in as the last seed, and still adavance to and win the state championship. You make my point about the teams with the best players generally win.

I'm stunned teams like Farragut manage, somehow, to be powerhouses and put players into colleges without following this system and developing their pitchers in this manner. How do they do it while playing glorified rec-league regular seasons?

I can almost make an MLB team out of the kids I have had the pleasure of seeing play over the years.

P - David Price, Drew Pomeranz, Kyle Waldrop, Mikie Minor, Rex Brothers

C - Michael McHenry

IF - Zach Cozart, Logan Forsythe

OF - Ben Revere

Again, until you have been at a 7AAA game that has a region berth on the line you don't have a clue what you are typing about. The issue isn't about developing a powerhouse or pro players or college players. It is about fun and excitement at the ballpark with games that have true meaning. The loser of last year's 1-0 Monday regional game at Columbia for Riverdale is now the Saturday starter for M.T.S.U. as a freshman

http://www.goblueraiders.com/content.cfm/id/60987

Johnathan Frebis is 4-2 with a 2.66 ERA. He would be the Saturday starter at Middle regardless of the number of district games we play or having an automatic berth for regular season champion. But some of the games he played in would have been a lot less exciting with the new rules.

Sadly, you obviously don't get it and never will. Since 1997 I got it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I get it, I just don't see the reason for all the crying. You don't think the two games played between the best in the league will be entertaining?

You mentioned earlier how "college coaches will only get to see #3s play against lightweights" or something similar, now it's not about getting players into colleges. All the games will still have meaning, that's how you will be seeded in the district tournament. It seems to me the crying is over not being able to say "look at us, we're special, we have three-game series in the season." Stop crying and play baseball.

Edited by Indian

I think they could have played no games till the district tournament, go in as the last seed, and still adavance to and win the state championship. You make my point about the teams with the best players generally win.

I agree, and if they had 3-game regular season series in their district they'd be even better apparently.

I can almost make an MLB team out of the kids I have had the pleasure of seeing play over the years.

P - David Price, Drew Pomeranz, Kyle Waldrop, Mikie Minor, Rex Brothers

C - Michael McHenry

IF - Zach Cozart, Logan Forsythe

OF - Ben Revere

Again, until you have been at a 7AAA game that has a region berth on the line you don't have a clue what you are typing about. The issue isn't about developing a powerhouse or pro players or college players. It is about fun and excitement at the ballpark with games that have true meaning. The loser of last year's 1-0 Monday regional game at Columbia for Riverdale is now the Saturday starter for M.T.S.U. as a freshman

http://www.goblueraiders.com/content.cfm/id/60987

Johnathan Frebis is 4-2 with a 2.66 ERA. He would be the Saturday starter at Middle regardless of the number of district games we play or having an automatic berth for regular season champion. But some of the games he played in would have been a lot less exciting with the new rules.

Sadly, you obviously don't get it and never will. Since 1997 I got it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Don't most districts/regions go with the home/away series? I know in 9AAA, it seems to work, why do you think seeding for the tourney from district play will be such a downer?

I get it, I just don't see the reason for all the crying. You don't think the two games played between the best in the league will be entertaining?

You mentioned earlier how "college coaches will only get to see #3s play against lightweights" or something similar, now it's not about getting players into colleges. All the games will still have meaning, that's how you will be seeded in the district tournament. It seems to me the crying is over not being able to say "look at us, we're special, we have three-game series in the season." Stop crying and play baseball.

The big issue is not the 3-game series, but the automatic berth that has been in place in our district since 1994, making every regular season game mean something. That is what made our seasons special, home and away or three game series. Biggest issue with dropping game 3s is have to find five more non-district opponents to play and when do you play them? If your district game gets rained out or theirs does than that game may have to get banged. No crying here. These changes benefit Riverdale tremendously with the arms and talent we have coming up in the next few years. Just sad to see a great tradition go away...

Don't most districts/regions go with the home/away series? I know in 9AAA, it seems to work, why do you think seeding for the tourney from district play will be such a downer?

Great question. We have always used regular season standings for seeding the district tournament just like 9AAA and others.

Here is this year's bracket: http://www.riverdalewarriors.com/baseball/2012-district-tournament.pdf

The issue is that for almost two decades we have sent our regular season champion automatically to the region, making the regular season mean something. The district tournament decides if they host or go on the road Monday. The district tournament champion is the #1 team headed into the region. Over the years our district has seen some great baseball teams and on several occasions the regular season champion has not made the finals of the district tournament.

Please read more carefully, that is not what I typed. I typed that with the current 3-games series on WEEKDAYS that Juco and D-1 coaches come to the ball park to watch some high school baseball and look at position players and if a sophomore #3 catches their eye it is not a bad thing.

If a kid can play, they will be found no matter when or where they play or who they play against.

We are special. We are 7AAA. SO special that people from outside our district seem to get the urge to jump in and talk about us. :o