Viking Pride 2012

THSFather

As a disclaimer, please note that I am a parent of a current Tennessee High Football player. I will try my best to be fair in my opinion. I am looking forward to this coming season and am high in optimism for the team. Last year, 2011, was a major disappointment with a 5-5 record, and just missing the playoffs. I understand THS was ranked 33rd out of a 32 team playoff field, just missing out.

There is no question that the sudden retirement of legendary Coach Greg Stubbs (Health reasons), late in the school year had a negative effect on the team. Finding the right replacement was critical, and had to be done quickly, just before August practice began. The newly hired coach was chosen, and there were indeed some hurt feelings, as the new coach was not an internal candidate. Upon his hire, one of our qualified assistants suddenly bolted, taking a lateral position at a rival school. In that short period of time, THS lost two excellent coaches, the head coach and offensive line coach. As ten year continuity had been broken, it was necessary to quickly reorganize. In addition to the coaching changes, there was also a significant talent drop off from previous teams. The 2011 team was very young and inexperienced. Even with all of that, the Vikings finished 5-5.

Looking at those losses, a few "if's and but's" could have made a huge difference. Three games clearly stand out in my mind that could have gone the other way.

1. Losing to Virginia High 14-13 was indeed a wake up call and a shocker. Having a 100 year rivalry with our cross town rivals, THS has won 75% over the century, and the last 12 years consecutively. I truly believe our Vikings took the Bearcats for granted, and were shocked in the end. Also, a serious mental error by the head coach being confused on what down it was was critical. A mental error and complacency cost a win.

2. Losing to Sullivan South in overtime. A well played game by both teams, could have gone either way.

3. A crushing loss to Dobyns-Bennett was not as bad as the scoreboard reflected. I dont recall the score, but it was like 42-17 or something. The striking thing was HOW DB scored. The bulk of the DB scoring was from pick offs for TD returns. I was very pleased that our young defense only gave up 14 points in that game. The several picks came from back field passes (timed perfectly by DB I might add) that were picked off and returned. (Just a personal note, I do not like the "spread gun" offense. More on that later.)

4&5.......The other two losses? Jefferson County and Science Hill. Both clearly and soundly beat us, no questions about it. The only 'excuse' I can mention is that they both, as well as DB are all 6A teams with much larger rosters and a larger talent pool to draw from. Cant really use that as an excuse, because it is what it is, and we just have to deal with it.

For the record, in regards to larger vs smaller schools.....THS played 10 games. 5 were against smaller, and 5 were against larger schools. We beat some larger schools, and we lost to some smaller schools, so it really isnt an excuse.

About the team: Last years team was a very young and inexperienced team. The majority of them are back this year. Our returning defense will have 10 seniors and 1 junior. Offense will have 7 seniors.

The defense: It swarms. These kids have unity like I have never seen before, and they are hungry. Already this year, in scrimmages against Elizabethton and Sullivan East, our defense swarmed against them, ripping them to shreds. They have not given up any scores, until the second string was put in. The Defensive Coordinator Mike Mays is probably the most intense, and most dynamic non-head coach in the state, and we are so very fortunate to have him.

The Offense: Now that Coach Boggs has had a full year to prepare the team with his newly installed spread gun offense, the kids are buying into it. They are better prepared to "defend" against the potential cornerback pick offs described in last years DB game. It is an exciting offense with explosive potential. (My personal opinion, I don't like the spread gun, especially with a QB in shot gun. Any time the ball is in the air, there is a potential for error. Snap to QB, Back field pass, down field pass.......that is three airborne footballs on a given play, and the potential for disaster triples. I would much rather see the QB under center and a traditional 'drop back' passer who throws down field.)

The Coach: I think we are fortunate to have Shane Boggs as coach, even though I don't like the Spread Gun. Boggs is a proven winner. He took a struggling Georgia team, turned the around and won a state championship. He then took a struggling Florida team, and in two years had them in the playoffs. Then we snagged him. 5 -5 his first year, now its time to step it up. I think he will do so.

My prediction: 8-2. I think we will run the table on all non 6A schools. We will likely have trouble against Science Hill and Jefferson County, both bigger schools and both away games for us. As far as Dobyns-Bennett goes, we host them this year, and I think DB is in for a surprise.

Overall, we will put on a show with the offense, and score big sometimes, but it is the defense that will most shine. Defense wins games. Offense sells tickets. GO VIKINGS!

As a disclaimer, please note that I am a parent of a current Tennessee High Football player. I will try my best to be fair in my opinion. I am looking forward to this coming season and am high in optimism for the team. Last year, 2011, was a major disappointment with a 5-5 record, and just missing the playoffs. I understand THS was ranked 33rd out of a 32 team playoff field, just missing out.

There is no question that the sudden retirement of legendary Coach Greg Stubbs (Health reasons), late in the school year had a negative effect on the team. Finding the right replacement was critical, and had to be done quickly, just before August practice began. The newly hired coach was chosen, and there were indeed some hurt feelings, as the new coach was not an internal candidate. Upon his hire, one of our qualified assistants suddenly bolted, taking a lateral position at a rival school. In that short period of time, THS lost two excellent coaches, the head coach and offensive line coach. As ten year continuity had been broken, it was necessary to quickly reorganize. In addition to the coaching changes, there was also a significant talent drop off from previous teams. The 2011 team was very young and inexperienced. Even with all of that, the Vikings finished 5-5.

Looking at those losses, a few "if's and but's" could have made a huge difference. Three games clearly stand out in my mind that could have gone the other way.

1. Losing to Virginia High 14-13 was indeed a wake up call and a shocker. Having a 100 year rivalry with our cross town rivals, THS has won 75% over the century, and the last 12 years consecutively. I truly believe our Vikings took the Bearcats for granted, and were shocked in the end. Also, a serious mental error by the head coach being confused on what down it was was critical. A mental error and complacency cost a win.

2. Losing to Sullivan South in overtime. A well played game by both teams, could have gone either way.

3. A crushing loss to Dobyns-Bennett was not as bad as the scoreboard reflected. I dont recall the score, but it was like 42-17 or something. The striking thing was HOW DB scored. The bulk of the DB scoring was from pick offs for TD returns. I was very pleased that our young defense only gave up 14 points in that game. The several picks came from back field passes (timed perfectly by DB I might add) that were picked off and returned. (Just a personal note, I do not like the "spread gun" offense. More on that later.)

4&5.......The other two losses? Jefferson County and Science Hill. Both clearly and soundly beat us, no questions about it. The only 'excuse' I can mention is that they both, as well as DB are all 6A teams with much larger rosters and a larger talent pool to draw from. Cant really use that as an excuse, because it is what it is, and we just have to deal with it.

For the record, in regards to larger vs smaller schools.....THS played 10 games. 5 were against smaller, and 5 were against larger schools. We beat some larger schools, and we lost to some smaller schools, so it really isnt an excuse.

About the team: Last years team was a very young and inexperienced team. The majority of them are back this year. Our returning defense will have 10 seniors and 1 junior. Offense will have 7 seniors.

The defense: It swarms. These kids have unity like I have never seen before, and they are hungry. Already this year, in scrimmages against Elizabethton and Sullivan East, our defense swarmed against them, ripping them to shreds. They have not given up any scores, until the second string was put in. The Defensive Coordinator Mike Mays is probably the most intense, and most dynamic non-head coach in the state, and we are so very fortunate to have him.

The Offense: Now that Coach Boggs has had a full year to prepare the team with his newly installed spread gun offense, the kids are buying into it. They are better prepared to "defend" against the potential cornerback pick offs described in last years DB game. It is an exciting offense with explosive potential. (My personal opinion, I don't like the spread gun, especially with a QB in shot gun. Any time the ball is in the air, there is a potential for error. Snap to QB, Back field pass, down field pass.......that is three airborne footballs on a given play, and the potential for disaster triples. I would much rather see the QB under center and a traditional 'drop back' passer who throws down field.)

The Coach: I think we are fortunate to have Shane Boggs as coach, even though I don't like the Spread Gun. Boggs is a proven winner. He took a struggling Georgia team, turned the around and won a state championship. He then took a struggling Florida team, and in two years had them in the playoffs. Then we snagged him. 5 -5 his first year, now its time to step it up. I think he will do so.

My prediction: 8-2. I think we will run the table on all non 6A schools. We will likely have trouble against Science Hill and Jefferson County, both bigger schools and both away games for us. As far as Dobyns-Bennett goes, we host them this year, and I think DB is in for a surprise.

Overall, we will put on a show with the offense, and score big sometimes, but it is the defense that will most shine. Defense wins games. Offense sells tickets. GO VIKINGS!

Wow- awesome assessment of the past season and season to be! A bit off topic, but I'd be curious to hear your opinion of Elizabethton and Sullivan East based on the scrimmages. You have a strong 'eye'

Edited by PainGame11

I enjoyed the post . It contains some very good points on Viking football. Some comments: I believe you are smaller than 6 teams on your schedule, larger than Central, South, Johnson Co. and Va. High only. Not sure who you think the 5th is. Secondly, I would be more interested in the number of starters returning than the number of seniors because that really means more when projecting success for next year. And thirdly, welcome to the time of year for optimistic "homers". 8-2 is certainly within reason. Optimistic Boone and South fans are probably predicting the same thing. And lastly: good luck to your son. I hope he has an enjoyable and memorable season.

I enjoyed the post . It contains some very good points on Viking football. Some comments: I believe you are smaller than 6 teams on your schedule, larger than Central, South, Johnson Co. and Va. High only. Not sure who you think the 5th is. Secondly, I would be more interested in the number of starters returning than the number of seniors because that really means more when projecting success for next year. And thirdly, welcome to the time of year for optimistic "homers". 8-2 is certainly within reason. Optimistic Boone and South fans are probably predicting the same thing. And lastly: good luck to your son. I hope he has an enjoyable and memorable season.

I do not recall the website where I got the data, but the numbers of students per school I found for the 2011-12 school year were:

1. Science Hill 2565

2. Jeff County 2163

3. Dobyns Bennett 1881

4. David Crocket 1381

5. Dabiel Boone 1289

Tennessee High 1247

6. Volunteer 1174

7. Sullivan South 1080

8. Sullivan Central 1036

9. Virginia High 919

10.Johnson County 697

Returning Starters:

Defense: 8

Offense: 7

I do not recall the website where I got the data, but the numbers of students per school I found for the 2011-12 school year were:

1. Science Hill 2565

2. Jeff County 2163

3. Dobyns Bennett 1881

4. David Crocket 1381

5. Dabiel Boone 1289

Tennessee High 1247

6. Volunteer 1174

7. Sullivan South 1080

8. Sullivan Central 1036

9. Virginia High 919

10.Johnson County 697

Returning Starters:

Defense: 8

Offense: 7

Interesting data. I stand corrected. I had heard Volunteer was close to 1400 students now. A South administrator has recently told me South should be below 1000 students next year, so I'm surprised by that number too.

Will #24 be the QB next year?

• Upvote 1

It's my understanding that the new THS enrollment numbers are less than 1100 (closer to 1050) for next year. That's taking the graduating class numbers out and adding the number of upcoming 9th graders. What's going to happen when the TSSAA reclassifies schools this year?

My source is http://high-schools.com/report/tn/public-school-enrollment-rank-in-tennessee.html

It states that THS is the 86th largest school in the state, with an enrollment of 1247. I do not know how many students just graduated, but it is fair to say 1/4th did, that being 312. I saw a facebook post stating that 291 upcoming freshmen are enrolling this fall. Either way, the enrollment has been consistent over the last several years. My own graduating class in the 80's was 265.

By the way, in regards to school size by ranking, the site says:

#2 Science Hill (6A)

#9 Jefferson County (6A)

#18 Dobyns Bennett (6A)

#64 David Crockett (5A)

#78 Daniel Boone (5A)

#86 Tennessee High (5A)

#99 Volunteer (5A)

#111 Sullivan South (5A)

#119 Sullivan Central (5A)

#120 Sullivan East (4A) (We didnt play them)

#176 Johnson County (4A)

No clue on reclassification. It is purely good ole boy politics, and I am not in that elite club of insiders.

However, when the current districts were aligned, I recall that Sullivan Central had 1002 students then and requested a waiver to drop down to 4A, as they had 3 too many students. Note that Sullivan East is ranked 4A at #120, and the site says East now has 1026 students, as does #121 Unicoi County. Central at #119 has 1036 students. The contracts are in place for the remainder of this year (2012), but in the fall of 2013, the districts will be shaken up. I would not at all be surprised to see DB and Science Hill move to a strictly 6A division, and they being replaced with Sullivan East and Unicoi County in our 5A division. If that is the case, it appears that instead of DB domination, it would be a competitive division with THS, Boone, South and an occasional sleeper to battle it out for the top spot. Just my humble opinion. Besides, I would love to renew our history with East. We only have a 44 and 0 record against them......LOL