Harriman

WartburgBulldog

Not at liberty to say, but will come from a pool of three good coaches.

I would like to know why YOU think it is a pool of 3 good coaches? What qualifies as a good coach in YOUR eyes? Why would they have concluded interviews when Mr. Clark has been gone on vacation for a while now and Calahan has not been around either and then post it on TSSAA until July 23? Makes no sense. However, the hiring of the girls coach made no sense either. They first tried to hire a guy who couldn't pass a background check (Calahan's buddy from Stone) and then hired a guy who coached at Roane State (whoopty doo!) and will not even teach @ the school - huh???? He'll be there real long I'm sure - ha! Especially when I know they had some people apply that had graduated from the school (couple of people), one played on the only State Basketball Championship team in the school's history, and has been an assistant coach for years in AAA in one of the toughest districts in E. TN. When family wants to come back home and they are qualified, you hire them. I also know that Calahan calls all the shots and Clark has very little to do with any of the hiring. You may be right about the fact that they have already interviewed and/or hired someone, but it will be Calahan's decision and nobody elses. I know Calahan and not Clark offered the job to Davis from Wartburg. Calahan did this before they posted the job - this is against the law by the way. Not a knock on the young man, but as far as I know, he was the head coach of the boys and girls middle school basketball teams in Wartburg for maybe 3 years! First, its middle school - really!? Second, its Wartburg - no offense. Third, he's only coached for 3 years. Fourth, he's not had a chance to truly learn from someone who has been an established coach, especially @ a high level because he has been doing his own thing since he was hired. The reason he offered the job to him is because Davis knows the ex-girls coach from Stone - my educated guess. If anybody considers a middle school coach a homerun, then you have lost your mind. Especially, when you have other people that have applied that not only graduated from the school, but have a lot more experience in coaching. We'll see what happens, but Calahan has lost his mind if he doesn't "thouroughly" look at the pool of applicants, interview them "fairly" and think really hard about what is most important for not only the school, but his job. By the way, this post is not necessarily directed at you - blackhawkdown - or anybody else, it's just my take and what I know about the situation.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know why YOU think it is a pool of 3 good coaches? What qualifies as a good coach in YOUR eyes? Why would they have concluded interviews when Mr. Clark has been gone on vacation for a while now and Calahan has not been around either and then post it on TSSAA until July 23? Makes no sense. However, the hiring of the girls coach made no sense either. They first tried to hire a guy who couldn't pass a background check (Calahan's buddy from Stone) and then hired a guy who coached at Roane State (whoopty doo!) and will not even teach @ the school - huh???? He'll be there real long I'm sure - ha! Especially when I know they had some people apply that had graduated from the school (couple of people), one played on the only State Basketball Championship team in the school's history, and has been an assistant coach for years in AAA in one of the toughest districts in E. TN. When family wants to come back home and they are qualified, you hire them. I also know that Calahan calls all the shots and Clark has very little to do with any of the hiring. You may be right about the fact that they have already interviewed and/or hired someone, but it will be Calahan's decision and nobody elses. I know Calahan and not Clark offered the job to Davis from Wartburg. Calahan did this before they posted the job - this is against the law by the way. Not a knock on the young man, but as far as I know, he was the head coach of the boys and girls middle school basketball teams in Wartburg for maybe 3 years! First, its middle school - really!? Second, its Wartburg - no offense. Third, he's only coached for 3 years. Fourth, he's not had a chance to truly learn from someone who has been an established coach, especially @ a high level because he has been doing his own thing since he was hired. The reason he offered the job to him is because Davis knows the ex-girls coach from Stone - my educated guess. If anybody considers a middle school coach a homerun, then you have lost your mind. Especially, when you have other people that have applied that not only graduated from the school, but have a lot more experience in coaching. We'll see what happens, but Calahan has lost his mind if he doesn't "thouroughly" look at the pool of applicants, interview them "fairly" and think really hard about what is most important for not only the school, but his job. By the way, this post is not necessarily directed at you - blackhawkdown - or anybody else, it's just my take and what I know about the situation.

You are correct on most of your points. In fact all of them probably except for one. Davis from Wartburg was not offered the job. I can assure you that did not happen. You are very knowlegable and no offense taken.

You are correct on most of your points. In fact all of them probably except for one. Davis from Wartburg was not offered the job. I can assure you that did not happen. You are very knowlegable and no offense taken.

I know from your posts that you have some inside connections as well, but I have some directly tied to the situation too. I know for a fact that Davis was offered the job well before it was posted. I also know that he declined, but is re-thinking the proposition. Obviously I will not divulge how I know, but I promise you that did happen. You might want to check with your inside sources again. As a matter of fact, I've also heard he was still in the running for the job. Once again, I do not know who the other 3 coaches your talking about are (I'll check in to that and find out by tomorrow), but I do know that very qualified graduates from the school have applied for the job as well and it would be a shame if they choose someone that does not have any stake in the community. Especially considering the fact that the school has had 6-7 boys coaches since Pickell retired in 1995. What's that - a new coach every 3 yrs or so? You'd think they would try to find someone to actually stay @ the school. If Calahan hires someone that is a big ????, I can almost guarntee that Calahan won't make it past next year as Principal @ Harriman. That also comes from some pretty good sources.

I know from your posts that you have some inside connections as well, but I have some directly tied to the situation too. I know for a fact that Davis was offered the job well before it was posted. I also know that he declined, but is re-thinking the proposition. Obviously I will not divulge how I know, but I promise you that did happen. You might want to check with your inside sources again. As a matter of fact, I've also heard he was still in the running for the job. Once again, I do not know who the other 3 coaches your talking about are (I'll check in to that and find out by tomorrow), but I do know that very qualified graduates from the school have applied for the job as well and it would be a shame if they choose someone that does not have any stake in the community. Especially considering the fact that the school has had 6-7 boys coaches since Pickell retired in 1995. What's that - a new coach every 3 yrs or so? You'd think they would try to find someone to actually stay @ the school. If Calahan hires someone that is a big ????, I can almost guarntee that Calahan won't make it past next year as Principal @ Harriman. That also comes from some pretty good sources.

I won't argue with any of your points. Don't think it will be local unless Coach Bertram gets a chance. Lots of coaches but Coach King has been there nine or ten years. i agree it is a big hire since Harriman has had to hire two basketball coaches.

My sources say that it will be someone from Webb or CAK. Obviously, it won't be the head coaches (Norris or Wells), so I'm thinking one of the ####istants or another middle school coach candidate. I've also heard that Davis will or has been offered an ####istant position or the middle school boys/girls positon. Once again, this makes absolutely no sense on the part of the administration. If you are going to hire an ####istant coach to lead your program, you would think that they would want someone who has several yrs of experience at a proven winner or come from a higher cl####ification school that has coached against the toughest compe####ion in the State. Furthermore, if you have coaches that have applied (they have applied) that grew up, graduated, played ball at the school (one of them helped the school win a State ####le), have yrs of coaching/teaching experience at the highest level in TN (AAA), connected people with the school want them back, and they want to come back home - you should probably give them the opportunity. It is amazing to me that the school would either hire someone much older and out of basketball for yrs (girls coach) and/or hire someone not from the community with less experience for the boys coach. To be honest, it really doesn't matter because Harriman has always had talent and whoever they get they should win - hope they don't just use it as a job hopping opportunity. You would have to be a pitiful coach to not be successful at Harriman. The posting of the job was a token post to say they followed the law. We'll wait and see and good luck to the Harriman program. I hope all works out for the best.

Who in the crap is Wes Jones? The only Wes Jones I know of is the head football coach at Hardin Valley. If there is another Wes Jones that coaches basketball in the area, then he is not a licensed teacher in the State of TN. So, what you're saying is that Harriman either hired the football coach from Hardin Valley to coach basketball - ha - or they hired another coach that is a non-teacher. Brilliant hire Harriman! Sounds good for the rest of the teams in the district.

Who in the crap is Wes Jones? The only Wes Jones I know of is the head football coach at Hardin Valley. If there is another Wes Jones that coaches basketball in the area, then he is not a licensed teacher in the State of TN. So, what you're saying is that Harriman either hired the football coach from Hardin Valley to coach basketball - ha - or they hired another coach that is a non-teacher. Brilliant hire Harriman! Sounds good for the rest of the teams in the district.

Assistant Coach at Webb.

Must not have been there long - not much experience. What in the world is Calahan and Clark doing over there? You hire a guy in his 50s to coach the girls? He also had been out of coaching for yrs and won't be teaching at the school! Then, from what you say, they have hired a guy who has not been an assistant coach that long and is not a teacher at Webb as far as I could tell. What is he going to do at Harriman - just coach!? That makes a ton of sense. That is the best we could get? Why post the flippin job until the 23rd? They haven't even waited to see who has applied for the position. They have no concern for the program and have lost their minds. I hope that school board members take close notice of Calahan's coaching hires (what a joke), especially after his previous alleged tackling of a girl student at the school, and get rid of this idiot! I have sat around, watched, and listened to what has been going on at the High school - pathetic. No wonder, Toni McGriff (Superintendent) was booted out of the system - she hired nimrods like Calahan. I know one thing coming from a small town, you don't come in and tick people off or you'll be gone very quick. I'd say Calahan has already dug a grave about 5 1/2 feet deep with both of these hires and other past problems. I am sad to see the community I grew up in and school I graduated from be under the leadership of this man. Harriman has a very proud tradition and should be represented by by a man that makes educated hires.