Revised Powers-Limbaugh plan - what do you think?

davidlimbaugh

Plan for baseball postseason in Tennessee: Let's have more fun, make more money and get the best teams to the Boro :)

Regionals:

On Friday, adjoining districts meet. Host is the district winner of even or odd districts depending on even or odd years.

Example: 7AAA and 8AAA

2012 - so Tullahoma is host site

Friday at Tullahoma

Game 1 4:30 - Columbia vs Riverdale

Game 2 7:00 - Siegel vs Tullahoma

Saturday at Tullahoma

Game 3 10:00 - Loser Game 1 vs Loser Game 2

(Columbia vs Siegel - coin toss for home since both 2 seeds)

Game 4 12:30 - Winner Game 1 vs Winner Game 2

(Riverdale vs Tullahoma - coin toss for home since both 1 seeds)

Winner of this game is Region Champion and hosts other region the

following Friday

Game 5 3:00 - Winner Game 3 vs Loser Game 4

Winner of this game is region runner-up and travels to other

region champion next Friday

Substate - Friday and Saturday if necessary

Doubleheader on Friday

Saturday if necessary - all games at region champion

PROS - all games at central site - will draw more fans because of this. Less travel. This plan addresses concerns of smaller schools with less depth. Just have to win two games each weekend.

With this plan all teams are in a central location. Fans for all four schools can watch all four schools. Better environments and able to make more money.

Lets look at a AA region:

7AA vs 8AA

At Smith County

Friday

Game 1 - Livingston Academy vs Notre Dame

Game 2 - Signal Mountain vs Smith County

Saturday

Game 3 - Signal Mountain vs Notre Dame

Game 4 - Livingston Academy vs Smith County - Smith County Region Champion and hosts Substate next Friday

Game 5 - Winner Game 3 vs Livingston Academy - winner finishes second and travels next Friday for Substate

A:

At Washburn

1A vs 2A

Friday

Game 1 - Cosby vs North Greene

Game 2 - Unaka vs Washburn

Saturday

Game 3 - Cosby vs Washburn

Game 4 - Unaka vs North Greene - North Greene Region Champions and host Substate next Friday

Game 5 - Winner Game 3 vs Unaka - winner finishes second and travels next Friday for Substate

What do ya think???

Edited by davidlimbaugh

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plan for baseball postseason in Tennessee: Let's have more fun, make more money and get the best teams to the Boro :)

Regionals:

On Friday, adjoining districts meet. Host is the district winner of even or odd districts depending on even or odd years.

Example: 7AAA and 8AAA

2012 - so Tullahoma is host site

Friday at Tullahoma

Game 1 4:30 - Columbia vs Riverdale

Game 2 7:00 - Siegel vs Tullahoma

Saturday at Tullahoma

Game 3 10:00 - Loser Game 1 vs Loser Game 2

(Columbia vs Siegel - coin toss for home since both 2 seeds)

Game 4 12:30 - Winner Game 1 vs Winner Game 2

(Riverdale vs Tullahoma - coin toss for home since both 1 seeds)

Winner of this game is Region Champion and hosts other region the

following Friday

Game 5 3:00 - Winner Game 3 vs Loser Game 4

Winner of this game is region runner-up and travels to other

region champion next Friday

Substate - Friday and Saturday if necessary

Doubleheader on Friday

Saturday if necessary - all games at region champion

PROS - all games at central site - will draw more fans because of this. Less travel. This plan addresses concerns of smaller schools with less depth. Just have to win two games each weekend.

With this plan all teams are in a central location. Fans for all four schools can watch all four schools. Better environments and able to make more money.

Lets look at a AA region:

7AA vs 8AA

At Smith County

Friday

Game 1 - Livingston Academy vs Notre Dame

Game 2 - Signal Mountain vs Smith County

Saturday

Game 3 - Signal Mountain vs Notre Dam

Game 4 - Livingston Academy vs Smith County - Smith County Region Champion and hosts Substate next Friday

Game 5 - Winner Game 3 vs Livingston Academy - winner finishes second and travels next Friday for Substate

A:

1A vs 2A

Friday

Game 1 - Cosby vs North Greene

Game 2 - Unaka vs Washburn

Saturday

Game 3 - Cosby vs Washburn

Game 4 - Unaka vs North Greene - North Greene Region Champions and host Substate next Friday

Game 5 - Winner Game 3 vs Unaka - winner finishes second and travels next Friday for Substate

What do ya think???

You added pros, surely you have a con or 3... I like it, how do you sell it to T$$AA? The host site makes too much sense... mainly because you're making 1 extra team travel. Big whoop. With fans seeing all the teams is just too good. Great thoughts... played at Riverdale last week in tournament... impressive facility.

You added pros, surely you have a con or 3... I like it, how do you sell it to T$$AA? The host site makes too much sense... mainly because you're making 1 extra team travel. Big whoop. With fans seeing all the teams is just too good. Great thoughts... played at Riverdale last week in tournament... impressive facility.

Thanks for the kind words! I can't find a con. For 'A' schools with no lights, so what, play Friday afternoon and Saturday morning and afternoon... Each team gets a cut of the gate after expenses and TSSAA cut and host gets concessions. Everyone sees everyone else. Fans from schools or town with no dog in the hunt will come to watch. No one drives home and has to go the school the next morning....

I have been trying since 2000 to get a better post-season in our state for high school baseball. The current system of a.) having one great arm to get there b.) playing a meaningless game except to decide who sells cokes and who buys gas and c.) putting so much emphasis on the #1 who will throw in the district tournament, then on Monday, on Friday, on Tuesday in State Tournament and then on Friday in State Finals is not fair to him and really not fair to the #2 and #3s who pitched all season....

This gets the regionals done in two days and the sectionalss done in two days. No one-and-done baseball anymore.... Now lets get the State Tournament changed from starting on Tuesday and ending on Friday to starting on Wednesday and ending on Sunday. It is a 3-day weekend. Saturday's semis and Sunday's finals will generate more walk-up and let more parents who can not get off work during the week see their sons play. Hotels will love it. Murfreesboro will love it. Parents will love it. The #1 will like the extra day of rest....

Edited by davidlimbaugh

This is the best plan that has ever been presented. The next problem to fix is how do we get coaching staffs to stop throwing kids 125+ pitches per game with 70% of those pitches being breaking balls?

Edited by cbg

Not a fan of this idea by any means. Just sounds like a way for TSSAA to make more money. I personally don't think the current system is bad.

Have you really thought out your respnose before you pop it out there? What part of this proposal is so bad that the current system seems OK? You must have a real beef with TSSSAA, who cares if they make a buck, if more fans/parents are able to see games. The districts are at host sites, why not the regions too. And riding one donkey all the way is why most districts play back to back days. So, please... share your enlightenment.

Have you really thought out your respnose before you pop it out there? What part of this proposal is so bad that the current system seems OK? You must have a real beef with TSSSAA, who cares if they make a buck, if more fans/parents are able to see games. The districts are at host sites, why not the regions too. And riding one donkey all the way is why most districts play back to back days. So, please... share your enlightenment.

I don't have a real beef with the TSSAA. I just don't have a problem with the current system. No matter what system the state uses the the best team is proven at the state tournament. Just my opinion.

I don't have a real beef with the TSSAA. I just don't have a problem with the current system. No matter what system the state uses the the best team is proven at the state tournament. Just my opinion.

IMHO the best team in the state did not make it to Murfreesboro in AAA, Collierville.

Arlington raked all week in the Boro and a great team but the Wedneday game that just decides who buys gas and who sells cokes saw Collierville losing to Hardin Co and having to travel to Arlington.

Go to TSSAA.ORG site and look at the scores of Spring Fling games over the years if you think the best teams get there. Unlike football, basketball, soccer or softball, baseball teams are different from day to day depending on who is on the mound. A lot of teams get to Murfreesboro throwing their #1 on Monday and Friday and after they throw in the state tournament all bets are off....

Columbia versus Riverdale last two years is a great example of why current system is not good. In 2011 Columbia with Stone on the hill holds Riverdale to one hit and recent MTSU Freshman All-American Frebis gives up 2 hits and 1 run in a 1-0 Columbiw win. In 2012 Columbia with Stone on the hill holds Riverdale to 2 hits and one run but Georgia Tech signee and 2012 Gatorade player of the year King holds them to 1 hit and no runs. Both years the loser's season came to an end. One-and-done and baseball should never be in the same sentence. Ever.....

Edited by davidlimbaugh

IMHO the best team in the state did not make it to Murfreesboro in AAA, Collierville.

Arlington raked all week in the Boro and a great team but the Wedneday game that just decides who buys gas and who sells cokes saw Collierville losing to Hardin Co and having to travel to Arlington.

Go to TSSAA.ORG site and look at the scores of Spring Fling games over the years if you think the best teams get there. Unlike football, basketball, soccer or softball, baseball teams are different from day to day depending on who is on the mound. A lot of teams get to Murfreesboro throwing their #1 on Monday and Friday and after the throws in the state tournament all bets are off....

Columbia versus Riverdale last two years is a great example of why current system is not good. In 2011 Columbia with Stone on the hill holds Riverdale to one hit and recent MTSU Freshman All-American Frebis gives up 2 hits and 1 run in a 1-0 Columbiw win. In 2012 Columbia with Stone on the hill holds Riverdale to 2 hits and one run but Georgia Tech signee and 2012 Gatorade player of the year King holds them to 1 hit and no runs. Both years the loser's season came to an end. One-and-done and baseball should never be in the same sentence. Ever.....

I can understand what your saying about Riverdale. I know you hate that being a Riverdale fan especially. It's baseball no matter what the system the TSSAA uses the game has to be played and the team that comes to play that day will win. For instance Riverside who has won 3 championships in a row has had to go through the same system that AA and AAA teams go through. Until this year they had Stephen Gant on the mound but the team had to win other games when he wasn't on the mound. Some people like the system some people don't. You don't have to agree with me but it's my opinion

I can understand what your saying about Riverdale. I know you hate that being a Riverdale fan especially. It's baseball no matter what the system the TSSAA uses the game has to be played and the team that comes to play that day will win. For instance Riverside who has won 3 championships in a row has had to go through the same system that AA and AAA teams go through. Until this year they had Stephen Gant on the mound but the team had to win other games when he wasn't on the mound. Some people like the system some people don't. You don't have to agree with me but it's my opinion

My opinion too,cowboy.On any given day anyone can loose,and the "best" arm on any team is attached to a human who tires and/or has "off" days.The manager also plays a key role in determining when the #1 pitches, save your ace at the wrong time and he'll be fresh for the ride home.As you stated earlier,Gant's pitching was the primary reason so many on these boards complained of the "one arm teams" winning...guess what;best team wins without his arm or bat.I'm not happy that Riverside had to prove to everyone(well,most everyone)the fact that Gant was a terriffic teammate,but did not "carry" the team on his back in the manner that it happened,but my heart was full for them when they got it done.The system isn't perfect,but it isn't bad in the fact that the best team doesn't always win...the best team that day wins.

crazy cowboy and tradertwo

Baseball is a SERIES sport. Our state is the only one around that doesn't seem to know that.

Baseball should never be about the 'best team on a given day'. It should always be about a team's depth at pitching. There is a reason MLB has been a series since its inception. There is a reason college baseball is a game of brackets and series. There is a reason Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky high school baseball is a bracket of series.

You two may disagree but I can guarantee you most baseball people agree with me.

crazy cowboy and tradertwo

Baseball is a SERIES sport. Our state is the only one around that doesn't seem to know that.

Baseball should never be about the 'best team on a given day'. It should always be about a team's depth at pitching. There is a reason MLB has been a series since its inception. There is a reason college baseball is a game of brackets and series. There is a reason Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky high school baseball is a bracket of series.

You two may disagree but I can guarantee you most baseball people agree with me.

I respect your opinion but I will agree to disagree with you on this topic