who will win the big wartburg vs. o.s.?

17bulldogs

KingBrian, I agree with you. Like OS, Wartburg has turned the corner building a solid football program. Its good to see programs like OS and Wartburg ascending. Also, its great to see these two teams battling it out for two years in a row for playoff seedings. When was the last time that happened?

I think the key to this game is a magic number of 17. I believe OS needs to score 2 touchdowns and a field goal to pull this game out. I think at home, and home field advantage in playoffs at stake Wartburg will get 2 touchdowns on Oliver Springs. The question is, can the Oliver Springs offense score more than one touchdown. The Warburg Defense isn't really comparable to any team OS has played all year. Its better than Alcoa's, LC and Harriman's. Not as physical as Smith County, Kingston, Sweetwater, BB, and Rockwood. OS scored 87 points on ALcoa, LC, and Harriman. Against the SC, King, Sweet, and BB, and Rckwd OS just managed 35 points in 5 games. I believe Wartburg's Defense is lodged somewhere in the middle. That being the case, if OS offense can get 7-8 minute drives, then Wartburg will be in trouble. If Wartburg D proves tough and the Cats cant muster offense, the Bulldogs get more chances with more possesions, then advantage to Wartburg.

Should be interesting to see who wins The Wartburg Defense vs. Oliver Springs offense.This is where the game will be decided.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wartburgh sometimes scares me since I don't play I cna't get scared... but I don't think Wartburgh will be ready because of the candy schedule they play. They havne't seen the smashmout football OS brings. I think it's close to begin with then it will end up lie LC. about 18-0 or maybe 18-7.

Joe, I can see your philosophy about the schedule, but at the same time, Wartburg has played physical teams too. Sweetwater, Rockwood, Scott County and Coalfield are four teams that play physical football. As for not seeing the smashmouth football like OS (I believe the 'Cats were more physical last season and Wartburg won the game with power and finesse). This is a tough game to call, I believe OS91 is right about the game could be decided by the Wartburg D vs. OS O, but the kicking game and field position will also be important. I think where the Bulldogs could have a distinct advantage is in the passing game. Armes is the type of quarterback that can beat you with his legs or his arm. Not slighting D.J. Whalen, who is a very good athlete, but Armes is a two-year starter and has been very productive as a starter. Also, Armes is 7-2 as a starter at home.

I think OS will win a close one. I not sure what Kingbrian3 was refering to when he mentioned Middle School Battles. The first game OSMS won by 28 and the second game by two. The second game OSMS was slowed by injuries. (Adam Lamb and Russell Morgan.) He may have been thinking of that close game with Robertsville.

Well I think the dawgs will be ready and pumped up for the game against o.s. , but it should be a good game to watch , kingbrian is right on some things but wrong on others , first of all coalfield isn't really a physical team , but the dawgs do play hard and aggressive most of the time so they can pull off the win if they play a good game up front and everywhere else .

Coalfield not a physical football team...correct me if im wrong but wasnt it 10-0 at the half. And coalfield is playing much better football now. If we played now it would be evern closer. But Oliver Springs seems to have alot of stuff going for them.. Whalen has a big game and the catz cruise to a win. Ha coalfield not physical...Think back my friend.

OS will win with no problem. I for some reason have had bad feelings about the OS-Wartburgh ever since I have gone to OS but I think they will pull it out running away. Don't give me that Wartburg has played physical teams. The two that you mention that OS hasn't played would go under the 6th and 7th most physical teams OS has played. But It's not about who has played the physical teams all the time there is a lot more to football then being physical. I will probbaly not see the game but I just have that feeling that OS will win around 21-7

Although in my books that's not pulling away winning easily but with a offense like OS that is considered winning big since they don't score more then 20 usually

I have never a made a derogatory post on the board, but I could not resist. Looking at the Wartburg Schedule they have played the weakest non region schedule. I think the only team left is the Deerlodge Brownie Troop. Look at common games between the two schools. No comparison! Do you think any of the non region teams could play with Smith Co, Boyd or Kingston?