High School Tryouts

newguyhere

The best tryout program that I have ever heard of was a 3 day tryout (3 hours each day during late May) and then the coach cut the incoming freshmen (just completed the 8th grade) down to between 12&15 players. All of the incoming freshmen and the sophmores that did not play on the high school varsity team were placed on a 16U team that played a 50 game schedule. The tryout continued throughout the 50 game schedule. Any player that started on the varsity (freshmen included) were allowed to play with any of the top travel teams. All of the remaining players played on an 18U team that played a 50 game schedule.

Edited by cbg

The best tryout program that I have ever heard of was a 3 day tryout (3 hours each day during late May) and then the coach cut the incoming freshmen (just completed the 8th grade) down to between 12&15 players. All of the incoming freshmen and the sophmores that did not play on the high school varsity team were placed on a 16U team that played a 50 game schedule. The tryout continued throughout the 50 game schedule. Any player that started on the varsity (freshmen included) were allowed to play with any of the top travel teams. All of the remaining players played on an 18U team that played a 50 game schedule.

Sounds like a big program, I love the sound of it, what school is this at? I know the Hendersonville High School has a similar deal. They have teams that play from the age of about 10 (just guessing here on age, memory fades, lol) but, they do have kids on the "middle school" team that plays in the Hendersonville league that we played in this past season. I hope they are able to expand this league this year. Brandon Rodgers did a great job of running the league the last 2 years. Most of the Sumner County schools were represented, Hendersonville, Beech, Station Camp, Portland, and then a couple of travel teams. I love seeing high school programs that get involved all the way down to the 10-12u age group, but, it takes money and people. Two things small towns struggle with. But, it does give their school a good foundation to build on. Glad to hear of programs like that.