Eagles vs The Big Red

shakinthefat

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think MBA has a very good football team. They are physical, they play hard, play more as a team this yr than last and they are absolutely better than last yr. The BA game was closer then the score indicated and BA had a fight on their hands all nite. The BA boys know that. As a few of us said in posts leading up to the game, BA has a lot of speed at the skill positions incl the defensive b-field and if they did what they are capable of and also getting the offense going, they would be tough to beat. They have been very inconsistent heretofore. Friday nite they started to be more consistent. The BA WRs were open all nite and that shows when looking at the stats, BUT MBA really shut down the ground game. Very tough to run on. Long way to the playoffs. I know i'll be worried if we have to play MBA again - won't be easy.

Unless they get in by default, MBA won't make the playoffs.

Ensworth, Baylor, BGA left on the schedule it won't be easy.

Ryan and McCallie will also give them a run for their money.

JP2 and Pearl Cohn should be shoe-ins.

Blood is in the water. D2 smells it.

How many seniors are playing for MBA this season? It's unfortunate their high school career ends with a such a mess with the faculty and coaches they put their faith in. What a let down. These kids have learned a valuable life lesson hopefully - money and prestige are tainted. Also, go to school and get a degree in law - medicine will not be viable for lucrative pay post 2014.

This is silly. The sky is not falling. I'm not thrilled with a 1-2 record, but I would rather see MBA play the sort of game they played against Trinity than a slaughter against a Hunters Lane. It's unfortunate that the BA game followed Trinity, but all D-2 opponents are difficult. And as MBA's run to the state championship game a few years ago indicates, odd things can happen in the play-offs. I'm not fond of the system, but we're stuck with it, and MBA has avenged a number of its regular season losses in the play-offs. To stay with your ichthyological metaphor, sometimes the blood in the water is chum used to bring the sharks in.

If I count correctly, there are 28 seniors on a 55 man roster.

I have no idea where you're going with the rest of your post. Money is not tainted. It's simply an instrumentality, totally neutral, and good or bad only by virtue of how it's used. It's no secret that I'm critical of MBA's handling of this issue. However, at least in terms of the football program, I'm very comfortable that it is in the hands of a very decent man who is very dedicated to building a good program in the right way. And while he has his detractors (and what football coach doesn't?), I've spoken to several coaches who speak very highly of him. At this juncture, that's exactly what's needed.

This is silly. The sky is not falling. I'm not thrilled with a 1-2 record, but I would rather see MBA play the sort of game they played against Trinity than a slaughter against a Hunters Lane. It's unfortunate that the BA game followed Trinity, but all D-2 opponents are difficult. And as MBA's run to the state championship game a few years ago indicates, odd things can happen in the play-offs. I'm not fond of the system, but we're stuck with it, and MBA has avenged a number of its regular season losses in the play-offs. To stay with your ichthyological metaphor, sometimes the blood in the water is chum used to bring the sharks in.

If I count correctly, there are 28 seniors on a 55 man roster.

I have no idea where you're going with the rest of your post. Money is not tainted. It's simply an instrumentality, totally neutral, and good or bad only by virtue of how it's used. It's no secret that I'm critical of MBA's handling of this issue. However, at least in terms of the football program, I'm very comfortable that it is in the hands of a very decent man who is very dedicated to building a good program in the right way. And while he has his detractors (and what football coach doesn't?), I've spoken to several coaches who speak very highly of him. At this juncture, that's exactly what's needed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pulling for MBA's head coach too. But as you'll see with some previous posts, people are calling for him 'to go', which is quite unfair really.

I can't fathom what a guy has to expect to 1) coach a program like MBA while 2) they just got busted over the off-season for recruiting violations, lost some administrative staff (which appeared to come down to a money issue), and is now overseeing a football program that has just been ravaged with revoked wins (including a championship title) and continued investigations into recruiting violations.

This guy has a lot more on his plate than just coaching football.

The Big Red were not "horrible" on Friday night. The defense was on the field quite a bit, but I attribute that to an outstanding QB for BA. He was the difference in the game. At 6'5" he found receivers from the pocket where MBA had a heck of a time even seeing the open receivers. How many MBA passes were "tipped" at the line of scrimmage? that's the difference in a 6' QB and a 6'5" QB. He was mobile when needed and rushed for a few key first downs.

The MBA running game will be their bread and butter. The talent is there and will bring more success as the year progresses. For the passing game to bring success it will have to be more play action, on the move rather than the Pro-style pocket.

I also believe the head coach question should have never been posted here. It is incredible given the circumstances and the schedule that MBA has, to even discuss it with obvious haters.

Not the way I saw this game going, but one I am sure this team will learn from.

I've stayed away intentionally for quite some time, but I am finally compelled to speak.

Give it some time guys. It will take time to rebuild from the devastation of the past year. Is euvard the man? Who knows, ask that somewhere down the road. Rebuilding a reputation and and program takes time. Learning to win, without the question of above board practices, may prove more difficult than some think.

And just to be clear, I still feel Brad still must go. I have not and will send another cent as long as he is there. I make no apologies for that, and I also know that no one really cares what I do with my pocket change. To me, the whole mess, including the 1-2 start, is squarely on him. It happened on his watch and he hired almost everyone involved.

Goodness, I would not be as negative about this team as some of you are. Look at the game Friday night. 4 dropped passes right in the breadbasket, one for a td, grass jumped up and tackled a runner who was about to score,etc. They played better than we did and deserved to win. I was disappointed in how the BA players played as they are to good to have to resort to ripping off helmits, # 84 punching the qb after he had juked him out of his shoes, right in front of an official (must have been the Vandy official as he did not make a call either). Look at the film.Their receivers were just to fast for us. Maybe we will meet again down the road this year.

Maybe the BA receivers were not fast, maybe the Vandy officials screened the MBA defenders, thus the appearance of very fast receivers.

good heavens to both of you!! now we want to turn this into a referee thing? ref comments are sour grapes. when my son (who played the entire game) came home we laughed as he recounted the relentless comments and actions (just on him) from MBA kids. and maybe you'd like me to send you the tweets that were said before the game - MBA guys telling him they would take him out? who cares? it's funny - these are HS boys for god's sake. both teams played hard and it was a great game played by 2 good teams. we've all said that until now - but all of the sudden we get "oh, the refs screwed us". this game could go either way the next time. the refs had nothing - nothing to do with the final score here. i have no doubt both teams did some trash talking and did some pushing here and there - no team consists of angels. as for s-in-thefat - you might want to watch the film - the BA receivers are fast. If you don't think so you aren't watching. All 4 were part of BAs state c-ship track team. When max is on like he was friday, they will score. Geez, we BA posters have been nothing but gracious in fact defending your team when some of your fans are going after your coach and team. this was a hard fought game decided by the kids on the field - as it should be.

as for s-in-thefat - you might want to watch the film - the BA receivers are fast. If you don't think so you aren't watching. All 4 were part of BAs state c-ship track team.

Meritage - I was at the game, no need to watch film. I was being facetious on my comment to the danman, read it again. By the way, I was at the state championship track meet too.

my mistake then SIF - i did not read it as facetious. Guess i did not pick up the subtlety - sorry. in any case, BA will have some tough games ahead. We've circled oct 19th - i hope we show up. sorry for my mistake on your note

October 19th at Ensworth on ESPNU should be an awesome atmosphere. Ensworth will have its new videoboard up and running and I know both teams will have incredible support from the stands. There will be lots of speed and quickness all over the field, but this game will be won in the trenches. Lots of football to be played between now and then - I am sure y'all are not looking past September 28!! I know Ensworth never takes Baylor for granted.

Goodness, I would not be as negative about this team as some of you are. Look at the game Friday night. 4 dropped passes right in the breadbasket, one for a td, grass jumped up and tackled a runner who was about to score,etc. They played better than we did and deserved to win. I was disappointed in how the BA players played as they are to good to have to resort to ripping off helmits, # 84 punching the qb after he had juked him out of his shoes, right in front of an official (must have been the Vandy official as he did not make a call either). Look at the film.Their receivers were just to fast for us. Maybe we will meet again down the road this year.

Ha! I was at that Vandy game against SC. What a crock