Yellow Jackets versus defending state champs Patriots

TheCommissioner

This is the game I circle on the calendar every year. Henry County and their rabid fans will invade Boyce Smith field this Friday. The Jackets are down some this year and a win here will go a loooooooooooooooooooooooong way in turning our season around. I am sure that Coach Counce will have the Pats more than ready for us. I love this game and the atmosphere around it. HC's following is almost like a college team. Come on down HC and we will try and be as good of host as you were to us last year. Old Devil, Drew, and Prez stop by and see me before the game. Try to take it easy on us. We are rebuilding some and I hope we can continue to show some improvement in this game like we did this past week in the Clarksville game. The Pats and Dickson back-to-back is a tough stretch for us each year. Let's play some football. I would also be interested in reading RW feelings on the game.

I certainly don't want this to be construed as me speaking for RW, but I think he'll pick Henry County.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commish...I see where a new football stadium has been approved for Springfield High. Might I go on record and say (other than the locker room scenerio) that I am a sad HC fan when learning of this news! I think the history and atmosphere surrounding the current facility is worth preserving!...why am I in the minority?

First Prez, the important stuff. How is the baby and mama doing??? Now on to smaller things icon_e_smile.gif The stadium has become a sore spot with some people. They feel that we need a field at the high school. something more modern with more parking. there are some in the community that feel that every game is an away game for the jackets because they are bused to Boyce Smith. Time will tell. I think we are still a few years away from seeing this happen. we want be able to take tradition with us to the new field. i pointed out that Gallatin makes this work for them why cant we? You and I are in the minority

This is the game I circle on the calendar every year. Henry County and their rabid fans will invade Boyce Smith field this Friday. The Jackets are down some this year and a win here will go a loooooooooooooooooooooooong way in turning our season around. I am sure that Coach Counce will have the Pats more than ready for us. I love this game and the atmosphere around it. HC's following is almost like a college team. Come on down HC and we will try and be as good of host as you were to us last year. Old Devil, Drew, and Prez stop by and see me before the game. Try to take it easy on us. We are rebuilding some and I hope we can continue to show some improvement in this game like we did this past week in the Clarksville game. The Pats and Dickson back-to-back is a tough stretch for us each year. Let's play some football. I would also be interested in reading RW feelings on the game.

I am surprised that you want to hear from me but I will oblige you. The plus for Springfield is also a negative...last year's staff is gone. While I was disgusted with the way they cried and moaned after we thrashed them, they actually did a good job while they were there. I am a retired coach of 30 years (just had to say that) and I can't remember a bigger bunch of babies who could actually coach. I know very little about your current staff but I hope they can build upon what the last staff got started. Before I proceed I have two questions...what happened to bring about the untimely and surprising departure of the prior staff and where are they now? As far as this game goes...it will be no contest. The mercy rule will be ready to be activated in the second quarter but Springfield will have to unfortunately wait until the second half for it to be activated. I am bored with this season because our opposition is so pitiful. We have played one good team and they beat us. We won't play another good team until probably round three. I am only here because you specifically asked for me. Good luck the rest of the year and I hope you win some games.

First Prez, the important stuff. How is the baby and mama doing??? Now on to smaller things icon_e_smile.gif The stadium has become a sore spot with some people. They feel that we need a field at the high school. something more modern with more parking. there are some in the community that feel that every game is an away game for the jackets because they are bused to Boyce Smith. Time will tell. I think we are still a few years away from seeing this happen. we want be able to take tradition with us to the new field. i pointed out that Gallatin makes this work for them why cant we? You and I are in the minority

Include me in that minority.

Red Warrior,

The Jackets previous head coach is the OC at Hickman County, the former DC is on the Cane Ridge staff, and one other assistant went to Clarksville Academy. A couple of staff members stayed on with the new coach. I agree with the Commish that the field on school grounds is a few years off, with the costs being the big factor. Hope the Jackets can give the Pats a good game Friday night.

YAWN.........yet another boring HC thread....the DEMISE has BEGAN (in the words of your anti-one). Henryland is a dying town...This YANKER is bored to tears...but I was the closest on your score again last week!!! I want to go ahead and give HC the award for the weakest schedule in the history of high school football...and the smartest (for steering clear of JCM!!!). The scores this week are as follows...JCM 37 - Fayette Ware 13........HC 49 - Springfield 7........I AM THE WORLD'S ONLY LIVING YANKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commish....all is well at the home of the Prez! Wife and daughter are doing well....my little girl we have already learned enjoys watching Sportscenter!!....(she actually attended a HC football practice and the jamboree game!)

I too love the traditions of the older fields/stadiums scattered throughout the neighborhoods in our state's small towns! I understand the need for adequate locker rooms, parking, etc...but see no problem with the facilities at Boyce Smith (given Springfield will allow the Patriots inside the middle school to dress). For someone to suggest that a game at Boyce Smith is a road game for the Yellow Jackets is absolutely ridiculous! Melrose has one of the greatest atmospheres and most intimidating home fields in Tennessee...yet the stadium is not on their campus. Likewise, Milan offers this same tradition of high spirits and opponent intimidation yet, their field is not on campus either! Try to talk some sense into your school board and local officials to place this same energy and funding into an all-out renovation of the current location....it would be money and time well spent!

I'll say HC takes this one 49-21.

As for Springfield's stadium, I'll agree that it offers a nice atmosphere and a good deal of tradition, but I don't blame some people for wanting a new one at the high school. If the support is strong enough, the atmosphere and tradition will carry over. Barton Field was/is a very strong symbol of high school football in Henry Co., but I don't think any luster was lost when Patriot Stadium was built.